D40 launched @ Courts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i agree..i'm keeping a lookout now..anyone tt wanna sell can PM me? haha thanks

u can see quite a few D70s n D50s available.. alot of ppl r jumping onto the bandwagon for D80.. but tat doesn't make the D70(S) n D50 less attractive.. for starters, get either of the 2 n learn from there.. personally i prefer either of the 2 over the D40. just feels that D40 is too entry level and crippled by some of its attributes (esp since it's only fully compatible with AF-S and HSM lenses).

really dui la.. no ext hard disk..but me no choice. too bad.
and as requested.. one of my fav pic took with D40. pls i new in photography and new to SLR and also new D40. kekeke:bsmilie:

boy11.JPG

hmmm for the 1st pic were u using AF or MF? cos it looks kinda soft i think...

for ur 2nd n 3rd pics, were u using a large aperture? it seems that u dun have enough DOF.. if taking landscape/scenery use a small aperture (F11 n above) so that u get more details. Use a tripod for night scenery cos u'll need a long exposure.

Would like to see more of ur D40 shots coming in. :cheers:

Just held a D40 at Courts TP today. Looks like the unit has just got in because the salesgirl keeps insisting its the D50 I was pointing to at the rack. Even after holding it in her hands I had to show her the D40 logo on it to convince her that its the D40 and not D50. Can't really blame her. The other guy lagi best. Keeps insisting that if you have existing Nikon lenses the D40 is not for you but I told him I know the difference between a AFS and the old Nikon lenses. He has this "dun understand look" but in the end he admitted that he's there more to push Canon being the Canon rep for Courts. Oh dear looks like the main problem in selling the D40 would not be the camera performance itself...

Also you can forget about getting accessories outside of those they bundled in the promotion. So no SB400 flash etc. He actually pointed me to the other 'local' shops but he had this sheepish look on his face lol cause I don't think he was suppose to lead me to his other competitors.

Anyway...

Have held the D40 and took a couple of test shots. It is quite a bit smaller and quite a lot lighter. Much nicer handling than the Canon 350D and 400D I've held before. Compared to the Fujifilm S6500FD and S9600 I've held before it is also much smaller but equally as light. Interestingly enough the S6500FD size reminds me of the D50.

In terms of handling it is a DSLR alright. Fast and the shutter lag reminds me of the D50. Maybe just the tiniest bit slower than the D50. The viewfinder is bright bright bright and I like it a lot more than the one on the D50. As for not having the ISO, Quality, WB buttons, I actually din find this much of an issue since its just an additional button press to trigger them. Not a deal breaker as I thought it was going to be. Neither was the non-AFS lens limitation. I knew what I was getting coming in.

The deal breaker is funnily enough the size. It's no PnS. Yes it is sizeably smaller than the D50 but with the lens attached they feel like they are of equal size. I also thought I would welcome the lighter weight but after holding it I actually miss the heft of the D50. The D50 just somehow feels more solid and serious when taking photos.

Thinking back if I had not bought the D50, I would have easily bought the D40 back when I was considering the prosumer level cameras. Comparing the performance in speed and quality to the Fuji S6500FD alone I think its a no brainer. The D40 was much better in terms of speed, image quality and high ISO performance. And it is really fun to use to boot. I really didn't expect that.

Ok enough of my ramblings...

hmmm for the 1st pic were u using AF or MF? cos it looks kinda soft i think... Use a tripod for night scenery cos u'll need a long exposure.
Would like to see more of ur D40 shots coming in. :cheers:

haha..have to wait awhile lor. i have not gotten my tripod and remote yet. still very angry no external hard disk la. the shots posted are hand held..i tried my best liao. hehee

PS-got spare tripod to give donate? :embrass: thanks for the advice.. really seen the difference. let me get hold of tripod and if got time.. post more from my D40 for all those comtemplating to buy lor.

He has this "dun understand look" but in the end he admitted that he's there more to push Canon being the Canon rep for Courts. Oh dear looks like the main problem in selling the D40 would not be the camera performance itself...
It has been like that for ages. Canon yields a much higher profit margin for the dealers so they will try their best not to sell Nikon if possible. They will only sell it to people like us who insist on Nikon only.

My friend and I was at Courts JP today and the salesman told us that the d40 was an entry level cam and he introduces 350D and say that it is the highlevel cam and nikon lens doesn't come with USMotor......I was like:sticktong

It has been like that for ages. Canon yields a much higher profit margin for the dealers so they will try their best not to sell Nikon if possible. They will only sell it to people like us who insist on Nikon only.

My friend and I was at Courts JP today and the salesman told us that the d40 was an entry level cam and he introduces 350D and say that it is the highlevel cam and nikon lens doesn't come with USMotor......I was like:sticktong

Looks like Courts in Singapore is hopeless in making the D40 a success in Singapore. Wonder if it is the same in the rest of the world.

Nikon Singapore should do something. Maybe like bundle the SB400 flash for the price advertised by both Courts and Harvery Norman ($1088). Better than bundling those useless tripod, dry cab and camera bag or even the portable 40G HDD. The bag is not even a Nikon bag. :sticktong

I was at Best trying to by a Panasonic 3CCD DV cam and the salesperson was selling Canon too.. I just didn't want it because I told him it's not sharp enough. He didn't believe me and start to hook up the Canon one to a monitor. After that, I told him to hook the Panasonic model up also. After that he was like trying to find some faults with the image to try and convince me that the Canon was better.

Later he had no choice but to say since I felt Panasonic was better he had to respect my choice. But clearly he was unhappy with my decision. Maybe the commission is lower? ;p

Oops... This is OT liao..

That's life lah.....I was a promoter for years during my younger days too....I know how they work.:eek:

Ooppppsssss OT too.:bsmilie:

I was at Best trying to by a Panasonic 3CCD DV cam and the salesperson was selling Canon too.. I just didn't want it because I told him it's not sharp enough. He didn't believe me and start to hook up the Canon one to a monitor. After that, I told him to hook the Panasonic model up also. After that he was like trying to find some faults with the image to try and convince me that the Canon was better.

Later he had no choice but to say since I felt Panasonic was better he had to respect my choice. But clearly he was unhappy with my decision. Maybe the commission is lower? ;p

Oops... This is OT liao..

of cos nikon lens doesn't come with USM motor... they only come with SWM motor. :bsmilie:

Is D40 meant as a replacement model for D50 ?
yes... guess it was made to furthur spread out the different between their better model like d70s and d80...

what is 40GB digital pratner??? those very cheapo portable HDD, easy to crash type?

Status
Not open for further replies.