D4 User Thread

IMO, the best lens to test this is with the 85 1.4G. The "pop" from the photos are incredible ..... if only I have a D4 ;)

For me the best lens to test is my 70-200. the Sigma 85/1.4 also very good

Just FYI, I ordered two pieces of 32GB H-series separately, with shipping from Amazon, end up is about $600.

How come so ex? I bought each piece for around $170 USD. 2 pieces total just 400+ SGD.

Hmm.. I shoot RAW + JPEG but I seldom take note of the JPEGs... only use those in a pinch.

BTW I just updated the firmware to 1.05. And I honestly felt the picture now look sharper and more "3D" in my JPEGs... is my mind playing tricks on me? WB is definitely improved.
Same, I mostly use JPEGs these days as the out put from the D4 is great, but I find it tad too sharp if I sharpen it in cam, so checking to see if others feel the same.

WB to me, not much of a difference, I haven't been needing to tweak WB for a long time now since using D4.

Tried to order them from amazon as well. However, they do not ship to Singapore. May I ask how u got round the shipping problem ?

On the other hand, the card reader can be shipped ?!? Thanks
I ship via vPost. There's others like borderlinx or comgatway.

How come so ex? I bought each piece for around $170 USD. 2 pieces total just 400+ SGD.

Depends on when you got it, my first was US$260, the other I bought was US$220+. total and shipping is about $600. Yours is hand carried back. Mine isn't.

Now thinking of getting a 3rd 32GB XQD.

很想买。。。我就是狠不下心去买:cry:

Depends on when you got it, my first was US$260, the other I bought was US$220+. total and shipping is about $600. Yours is hand carried back. Mine isn't.

Now thinking of getting a 3rd 32GB XQD.

Hmmm. I got mine during the big yearly sale. Another sale coming, Memorial day, end of May. Better ready your credit cards!

Sony already discontinued the H-series 32GB XQD. So if you want 32GB, you can only go for S-series or Lexar, both of which are more expensive than the good ole H-series 32GB.

Last edited:

人生就那么一次。。。

Sorry to reply in Chinese but ..... here it is

人生何其短,不抱握此時,等待何時

In translation:
Life is short, if one does not cherish (capture) the moment now, till when would you to do it.

Not referring to the D4 in particular but if the D4 enables one to take photos that other bodies cannot, not withholding budget constraints, do (buy) it ;p

Hmmm. I got mine during the big yearly sale. Another sale coming, Memorial day, end of May. Better ready your credit cards!

Sony already discontinued the H-series 32GB XQD. So if you want 32GB, you can only go for S-series or Lexar, both of which are more expensive than the good ole H-series 32GB.

Couldn't wait for sales, need it badly, but since it's cheaper than SG, I don't mind. $600 for 2 32GB H series, is cheaper than $500 for 1 32GB H series in SG.

Am intending to buy 2 more, went to look at Adorama, they still have it in stock. Tempted to swipe the card.

Downside is despite the XQD speed, the CF is the one holding back the writing speed when using D4. So far only filled the RAW buffer once using CF.

Sorry to reply in Chinese but ..... here it is

人生何其短,不抱握此時,等待何時

In translation:
Life is short, if one does not cherish (capture) the moment now, till when would you to do it.

Not referring to the D4 in particular but if the D4 enables one to take photos that other bodies cannot, not withholding budget constraints, do (buy) it ;p

人生就那么一次。。。

你们好毒。。。买了会毒发身亡

你们好毒。。。买了会毒发身亡

I don't like the term, but for piling on. YOLO....

Do consider abt getting the reader too, previously when I was looking for its reader locally, there's only(if I did not reader the box wrongly) the PCMCIA card as the reader... Not thr the standard USB interface.

End up I bought everything from B&H..

你们好毒。。。买了会毒发身亡

我开始也是像你一样,七千块钱对一个嗜好者不是一个小数目!

但是自从买了之后,感觉就是不一样。虽然是重但拍出来的效果就是不一样。

一生中有多少过一次,为什么不尝试一下尼康最好的相机呢?

:)

Just order the one piece of Sony 32GB H-series XQD card from Amazon.

Saw this card is discontinued already so quickly placed the order.

Last edited:
Just order the one piece of Sony 32GB H-series XQD card from Amazon.

Saw this card is discontinued already so quickly placed the order.

Which merchant did you order from, I normally buy from Adorama, but they're not in the list anymore.

I don't like the term, but for piling on. YOLO....

Do consider abt getting the reader too, previously when I was looking for its reader locally, there's only(if I did not reader the box wrongly) the PCMCIA card as the reader... Not thr the standard USB interface.

End up I bought everything from B&H..

Wah bro u 火上加油...

Which merchant did you order from, I normally buy from Adorama, but they're not in the list anymore.

I got it from Amazon. The merchant name is Unique Photo. I saw from B&H that the 32G H series XQD discontinued already so saw the last piece at Unique Photo and it's selling at US$119 turned out to roughly S$175 incl shipping which is quite a good price so just grabbed it.

You still can find the 32G H series but the selling price is back to US$150 no more offer now.

Last edited:
I got it from Amazon. The merchant name is Unique Photo. I saw from B&H that the 32G H series XQD discontinued already so saw the last piece at Unique Photo and it's selling at US$119 turned out to roughly S$175 incl shipping which is quite a good price so just grabbed it.

You still can find the 32G H series but the selling price is back to US$150 no more offer now.

Yeah, thereabouts at $149 now. I'll wait, or I'll get the S series, it's dropped to about $200 now. Thinking of getting one more 32GB.

Need to replace some CF cards and HDDs this month too.

Oh dear me, I just came to know there is such a D4 user thread. Have been using the D4 since late March 2012 till now. What do you guys use the D4 mainly for? Anybody uses the D4 mainly to shoot portraits? I am not referring to wedding photography bur really shooting portraits / fashion / XMMs / or whatever you call it? I have some questions to ask...

Oh dear me, I just came to know there is such a D4 user thread. Have been using the D4 since late March 2012 till now. What do you guys use the D4 mainly for? Anybody uses the D4 mainly to shoot portraits? I am not referring to wedding photography bur really shooting portraits / fashion / XMMs / or whatever you call it? I have some questions to ask...

I do portraits, weddings, events, birding (leisure) and landscapes (leisure) with the D4. It's too rounded a beast to just use for portraits.

I do portraits, weddings, events, birding (leisure) and landscapes (leisure) with the D4. It's too rounded a beast to just use for portraits.

Well, I use it to shoot people only... :p

Anyway, wanna ask you experts, do you have focus problem when shooting human subjects? Like the subject is not as tack sharp as you would have use with a D3/D3s/D3x? Mine is always soft. It went to the Nikon Service Center many times already on this issue. All they did was fine-tuning and fine-tuning which I didn't think was much help. However, when shooting subjects other than humans, my subjects are real sharp and focus are real accurate and precise! Anybody else is on the same boat as me?