D3s

Kam68

Mar 4, 2013
Jurong
Is the Nikon D3s a good camera to have?
Kindly leave your comment.

What are u shooting that u r looking at such a high end body?

Yes 2011 honda is a good car to have but its an old model

Exactly :)

You answered your own question bro!

Questions you should be asking... Can I do portraits with it, is its noise performance good compared to "X" model, is it good for sports, is it good for landscapes, is it good for wedding photography and the list goes on!

A good camera to have is the one you already have, if not then any camera that you can afford is a good one :)

I have a similar question ... except what I'm grappling with is ... is the approx $2500 that they are selling for worth it, for a 12mpix camera?

Sure it's a pro model (and I've had many) ... but in 2015 to pay so much for a 12mpix camera from 2010(?) seems a bit excessive. Other than that, I like everything else about the camera.

If it were around $1.5k ... I'd have less issues with buying one.

... also, are there any known issues with this model?

Last edited:
I have a similar question ... except what I'm grappling with is ... is the approx $2500 that they are selling for worth it, for a 12mpix camera?

Sure it's a pro model (and I've had many) ... but in 2015 to pay so much for a 12mpix camera from 2010(?) seems a bit excessive. Other than that, I like everything else about the camera.

when we buy a certain model of camera, is because we find it will be useful to us, not just because it is a good camera.
like the wise man Mod Ortega always says, if a thing is not useful to you, even it cost only $1 is also expensive, wasting our time and money on such thing.

and there is no camera have no issue at all, if so, there won't be necessary to come out any newer models, we are all working around the issue and get what we want to achieve.

just like we won't able to find a perfect woman to be our wife, we just have to accept who they are and compliment to make both of us perfect.

when we buy a certain model of camera, is because we find it will be useful to us, not just because it is a good camera.
like the wise man Mod Ortega always says, if a thing is not useful to you, even it cost only $1 is also expensive, wasting our time and money on such thing.

and there is no camera have no issue at all, if so, there won't be necessary to come out any newer models, we are all working around the issue and get what we want to achieve.

just like we won't able to find a perfect woman to be our wife, we just have to accept who they are and compliment to make both of us perfect.

Best advise you can get

I've done enormous prints from a 4mp D2H and a 5mp CoolPix. How large does one really need? Do you realise I'll even kill for Nikon to produce a D750 with just 6mp? It would be easy to store the files, edit and I don't have to grab a cup of coffee each time I edit images or wait for it to open in applications.

Give all things equal except MP, I'll opt for the D3S anyday over any Dx00 or Dx000 cameras.

$2500 for D3s? That's cheap...

Anyway no one is forcing you to buy. You want MP, there is always the new 51MP canon, or the 36MP D810... Choices are there, you should make your own call. Not happy with D3s, say not worth it, why even bother thinking about it? funny... want cheap, want fresh, want big big. 1.5k... what a freaking joke.

Last edited:
Nikon D3S is pro body 2nd to D4,only those know about photograpghy will appreciate how good is Nikon D3S

Nikon D3S is pro body 2nd to D4,only those know about photograpghy will appreciate how good is Nikon D3S

MP is the last thing I would worry on the D3S. I would worry on lack of memory cards.

The weather seal on pro bodies can handle mild-heavy rain (never tried torrential rain).

My D600 was soaked overseas due to heavy rain with 17-35, I just left it dangling next to my body as I use my umbrella to ensure myself is dry.

I would have gone for the D3S instead of D4 simply because I had plenty of EN-EL4/As. Alas, one step too slow to grab the last piece available so no choice get the D4. The EN-EL18/A doesn't lose far from EN-EL4/A.

If you are worried on MP, get the Dx00 series.

The only reason why I went for a D750 over the D3s was the -3EV that the D750 can focus to. Otherwise I'd gladly take 12MP raw files! Easier to process and store :)

D3s is really a good camera for my usage for its high ISO, sold off mine is because the depreciation value drops faster because of its flagship status in the lineup, and also the battery life was amazingly great, however I don't like the idea of the battery has a age limit - thus selling off.

As my work does not need high ISO range, I'm back with a D700 which is my 1st fx camera (acted as a main and a secondary) despite I'm using it for many years now I didn't see any battery age. And also it's portable form factor.

Tried to use D3s to replace my D700's position as a main camera but the battery age idea failed to so..

I have a similar question ... except what I'm grappling with is ... is the approx $2500 that they are selling for worth it, for a 12mpix camera? Sure it's a pro model (and I've had many) ... but in 2015 to pay so much for a 12mpix camera from 2010(?) seems a bit excessive. Other than that, I like everything else about the camera. If it were around $1.5k ... I'd have less issues with buying one. ... also, are there any known issues with this model?

You want to buy at $1.5k? Wait for a few more years if you are keen to wait then. Otherwise I think $2500 is cheap for now currently. if you see some 2nd hand lying around with less than 50k actuations.....
Which is nothing for the D3s which its capable of handling.

So far there's no bugs/issue with this model. That's why some people still go for the D3s instead of the D4.

Last edited:
Take a look at eBay, KEH etc
The going rate is really USD2.5K for a good condition one
And there's a good reason why market rate is as such

D3s is really a good camera for my usage for its high ISO, sold off mine is because the depreciation value drops faster because of its flagship status in the lineup, and also the battery life was amazingly great, however I don't like the idea of the battery has a age limit - thus selling off.

As my work does not need high ISO range, I'm back with a D700 which is my 1st fx camera (acted as a main and a secondary) despite I'm using it for many years now I didn't see any battery age. And also it's portable form factor.

Tried to use D3s to replace my D700's position as a main camera but the battery age idea failed to so..

All battery ages, and have a lifespan. Even NiMH AA batteries or your any other Li-Ion batteries. The gauge is for you to know the battery life is deteriorating and will not behave as good as before. You can safely ignore the warning if you'd like.