D3100 to D7000,need advise from experts

ly1968

Jun 27, 2011
Hi i currently own a D3100,intend to upgrade to D7000 just to chk with D7000 users here is the focusing alot faster in D7000 as sometimes i feel my D3100 focusing is abit slow,thks

Hi i currently own a D3100,intend to upgrade to D7000 just to chk with D7000 users here is the focusing alot faster in D7000 as sometimes i feel my D3100 focusing is abit slow,thks

Any sifu :)

i've used it for coming to 1 year and i really like it! but i'm not the best person to ask about AF since i shoot mostly macro. i've used an 80-200 and a 35mm f2.0 on it though. it's definitely good enough for me, but i'm not sure how fast you want the AF to be. the thing is that the d7k has something like 38 AF points and 3d focusing and whatever, so it tracks pretty well, at least on my 80-200. but if i'm not wrong, the lenses themselves play quite a big part also. my 80-200's a pretty old lens so it doesn't focus THAT fast.

i'm definitely no sifu but it's a REALLY GOOD camera. only thing is, remember to check if there is any oil splatter issue

i've used it for coming to 1 year and i really like it! but i'm not the best person to ask about AF since i shoot mostly macro. i've used an 80-200 and a 35mm f2.0 on it though. it's definitely good enough for me, but i'm not sure how fast you want the AF to be. the thing is that the d7k has something like 38 AF points and 3d focusing and whatever, so it tracks pretty well, at least on my 80-200. but if i'm not wrong, the lenses themselves play quite a big part also. my 80-200's a pretty old lens so it doesn't focus THAT fast.

i'm definitely no sifu but it's a REALLY GOOD camera. only thing is, remember to check if there is any oil splatter issue

Thks for ur info,any more advise from other sifus :)

How slow is slow and how fast is fast?

since Nikon Show Room have all the models available on display, you can go and try it out. see does the D7000 preform as what you have expected.

Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd
[Showroom]No. 80 Anson Road, Fuji Xerox Towers, #10-01/02, Singapore 079907

Operating Hours:
Mon, Tue, Fri: 9am - 530pm
Wed and Thu: 9am - 7pm

How slow is slow and how fast is fast?

since Nikon Show Room have all the models available on display, you can go and try it out. see does the D7000 preform as what you have expected.

Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd
[Showroom]No. 80 Anson Road, Fuji Xerox Towers, #10-01/02, Singapore 079907

Operating Hours:
Mon, Tue, Fri: 9am - 530pm
Wed and Thu: 9am - 7pm

Slow as in sometimes it keep on focusing (maybe around 3 times) than it can focus its subject

if you are shooting in low light situation, that is inevitable for entry level camera and lenses with small aperture.

Oic so with D7000 also the same right ?

The AF module of the D7000 is superior over the D3100. Having said that, there are too many other factors that affect the speed of focusing.

Basically, if you want more, you got to pay more. Upgrade your dSLR, upgrade the lens. I think it is a mistake to expect a quantum leap by just spending a few hundred or even a few thousand bucks.

Oic so with D7000 also the same right ?

Focusing might be fractionally quicker on the D7000 in most situations. But whether the resultant is fast enough for you is anyone's guess :)
You mentioned about your D3100 seeming to hunt before acquiring focus, so in this case if the AF is more definite it would be noticeably quicker.

If your budget comfortably allows for the D7000, I say 'why not?' :)

Thks all for the input,will wait for the D5200 launch than decide whether to get the D7000 or not as the D5200 got 24MP sensor & 39 focus point (just notice that) :)

Last edited:
Thks all for the input,will wait for the D5200 launch than decide whether to get the D7000 or not as the D5200 got 24MP sensor & 39 focus point (just notice that) :)

You need better lenses more than camera body to see significant improvement in AF performance in low light.

ly1968 said:

+1 to this... Might as well wait for D5200 if you're not in a hurry to buy then pair it with a fast or better lens.

whatever camera systems do have some limitation, just learn to work within their limitation and you will be a happy man,

don't try to look for an ultimate camera/lens to start your photography, you will not able to find one.

Apart from lenses & body, it also depends on the contrast of the subject and size.

If you are trying to AF on a bumble bee against a dark background, any camera will hunt also.

Not forgetting one more thing,need to shoot more :D