Not open for further replies.

EiRiK

Mar 2, 2003
North
www.eiriktan.com
dudes,
how does the 10D measure up to D100?
looking for dslr...
10D getting so much good reviews lately but i noticed a $1k difference between them.
90% made up my mind on the D100 b4 10D came out...

pls advice
thanks

I think you should phrase your question this way,

Does the D100 measure up to 10D? :devil:

This kind of question will never get any meaningful answers. Best is to try it for yourself.

If you have no lenses, etc to start with, go for the 10D. If you have Canon lenses, go for the 10D. If you have Nikon stuff, go for the D100 or Fuji S2 Pro.

Regards
CK

Don't forget that the US and AUS prices for D100 has dropped. So the expected price will be around the same range. Plus, Nikon seems to be giving away free gifts (256MB 24x Lexar CF cards + hardcase) while Canon has non.

More like finally Canon has come out with something that can compete with a D100, 1 year after its release.

Originally posted by Watcher
Don't forget that the US and AUS prices for D100 has dropped. So the expected price will be around the same range. Plus, Nikon seems to be giving away free gifts (256MB 24x Lexar CF cards + hardcase) while Canon has non.

More like finally Canon has come out with something that can compete with a D100, 1 year after its release.

u seem to have forgotton the D60, which came out earlier than the D100 and is in no way inferior to the D100.

besides, do you really think Nikon will drop their D100 prices if the 10D hasn't been priced so competitively? I don't think so. Canon is the first to come out with "low price" consumer DLSRs in the form of the D30 at a time when Nikon has none in that class, and with the 10D they are pushing the price down again, forcing Nikon to face up to pricing realities ;)

Nikon stuff are traditionally more expensive than Canon (in SG at least, but i suspect in the US too). There's of course many more factors to choosing a camera system than price, but in this case, if one has no lenses at all and budget is a concern, why spend an additional $1000 for a similar DSLR, an older one at that which is likely to be obsoleted faster due to market pressure?

I was talking to a downtown camera dealer who said the reason why 10D is cheaper is because it is now made in China. He said apparently there are also QA issues in the production. He advised buyer to hold buying if there's no hurry for Canon to sort out the problem. :)

... 10D is cheaper is because it is now made in China.

ah... that's the norm nowadays. and I don't believe that Nikon stuff is fully made in a country with a respectable manufacturing industry as well.

i agree with ckiang, except if you have no lenses at all, go for D100. just my 2 cents worth. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by shutterbug
I was talking to a downtown camera dealer who said the reason why 10D is cheaper is because it is now made in China. He said apparently there are also QA issues in the production. He advised buyer to hold buying if there's no hurry for Canon to sort out the problem. :)

well then either your downtown camera dealer is lying or Canon is lying (i suspect the former, as he might have vested interest in moving Nikon stocks sitting on the shelves), cos i see "Made in Japan" stickers / insignias on both the 10D and the battery grip. A check at Phil Askey's dpreview 10D unit also shows the same "Made in Japan" logo.

the CMOS manufacturing process is an entirely new one separate from the D60, which might explain the lower cost......

Actually the only things i've seen made in China are Nikon stuff :) you can hope over to the Nikon forum in Clubsnap, where i believe a few CSers had a heated debate over this issue of whether it is safe to buy Nikon lenses made in China ;)

Originally posted by Red Dawn
well then either your downtown camera dealer is lying or Canon is lying (i suspect the former, as he might have vested interest in moving Nikon stocks sitting on the shelves), cos i see "Made in Japan" stickers / insignias on both the 10D and the battery grip. A check at Phil Askey's dpreview 10D unit also shows the same "Made in Japan" logo.

the CMOS manufacturing process is an entirely new one separate from the D60, which might explain the lower cost......

Actually the only things i've seen made in China are Nikon stuff :) you can hope over to the Nikon forum in Clubsnap, where i believe a few CSers had a heated debate over this issue of whether it is safe to buy Nikon lenses made in China ;)

Troll alert! Troll alert! Troll alert!!

Regards
CK

Actually you'd be splitting hairs here!

The 10D has improved AF from t he D60! And the D100 is no slouch in the AF department, better than the D60 to begin with.

Buy the system that you think suits your style, not whats popular!

Read the reviews all over and you walk away with mixed feelings sometimes. Go feel and touch the camera and see which one calls your name!

Originally posted by Pricess Leia
Actually you'd be splitting hairs here!

The 10D has improved AF from t he D60! And the D100 is no slouch in the AF department, better than the D60 to begin with.

Buy the system that you think suits your style, not whats popular!

Read the reviews all over and you walk away with mixed feelings sometimes. Go feel and touch the camera and see which one calls your name!

;) Tru... Tru.....
dun follow the crowd
a few thousand dollars is not a cheap investment

Princess Leia speaks words of wisdom.

If you have no legacy system, then its best to
a) read up as much as possible on the 10D and D100 online
b) get direct feedback from ClubSNAP members who own the 10D, D100 and even the D60 (SEEDs are a good time to do this)
c) Get yourself down to the shop which stocks both and try out both cameras together with the lens(es) that you intend to purchase - work out the total system cost and then decide for yourself which camera "feels" better to you. This is totally subjective cos the more expensive system may "feel" better .... ;p

For those already with an existing system, the answer is simple, get the camera that can use your existing lenses (unless you are switching systems, and there again, the answer is simple, you are *switching* systems, right, so buy into the other system)

Originally posted by NikonLover
Princess Leia speaks words of wisdom.

If you have no legacy system, then its best to
a) read up as much as possible on the 10D and D100 online
b) get direct feedback from ClubSNAP members who own the 10D, D100 and even the D60 (SEEDs are a good time to do this)
c) Get yourself down to the shop which stocks both and try out both cameras together with the lens(es) that you intend to purchase - work out the total system cost and then decide for yourself which camera "feels" better to you. This is totally subjective cos the more expensive system may "feel" better .... ;p

For those already with an existing system, the answer is simple, get the camera that can use your existing lenses (unless you are switching systems, and there again, the answer is simple, you are *switching* systems, right, so buy into the other system)

Guess the dilema will lie with the Minolta users out there, 3 up and coming digital systems, The famous Canon, The good ol' Nikon, and The unheard of Pentax... Puzzling... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by nivlekx
Guess the dilema will lie with the Minolta users out there, 3 up and coming digital systems, The famous Canon, The good ol' Nikon, and The unheard of Pentax... Puzzling... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

oh... i didn't dwell too long on that!!! I went with Canon... simply because it was cheaper.

Well it's not just simply cheaper. The Canon system in general is more innovative and promising. IS (2nd gen), USM (consumer + pro lenses), DO (look at the size/weight of the 400mm) , full compatibility with all EF lenses and the company's ability to respond quickly to market demands. I'm not surprised by the end of the year, Canon would have introduced another mid-level DSLR ala EOS 3D, and maybe a souped up version of 1D. Canon made record profit last year (despite sluggish electronics industry) and they attributed the success to their brisk digital camera market sales. The company expects another record profit this year and I think we're going to see more exciting and innovative product launches. They're certainly not going to be happy with just the 10D. Extrapolate all these into the future and I've got to say I made the right choice in choosing the Canon system.

Well some might argue that we shouldn't emphasise too much the investment of our photographic system after all they're just tools and it's the person behind the camera that matters. But taking into consideration all else being equal (person behind the camera, skills etc) and leaving only the camera body and system into question (which you are in a dilemma), the Canon system seems like a better choice. Of course there's another subtle factor called "personal preference/liking" which only you will know after handling both cameras.

Originally posted by Red Dawn
u seem to have forgotton the D60, which came out earlier than the D100 and is in no way inferior to the D100.

besides, do you really think Nikon will drop their D100 prices if the 10D hasn't been priced so competitively? I don't think so. Canon is the first to come out with "low price" consumer DLSRs in the form of the D30 at a time when Nikon has none in that class, and with the 10D they are pushing the price down again, forcing Nikon to face up to pricing realities ;)

Nikon stuff are traditionally more expensive than Canon (in SG at least, but i suspect in the US too). There's of course many more factors to choosing a camera system than price, but in this case, if one has no lenses at all and budget is a concern, why spend an additional $1000 for a similar DSLR, an older one at that which is likely to be obsoleted faster due to market pressure?
I don't want to go point by point, but like everyone here, read the reviews. The D60 autofocus speed and in low light, the color space (the lack of Adobe Colorspace to be exact, which is only now in 10D), etc. No way inferior? Only to someone trying to justify their purchase. If they are not important, why add it or need to improve on it in the first place, right?

I do agree and applaud Canon for cutting the price and thus making the products in the same category cut price. It is a win-win. And yes, Nikon is traditionally more expensive, but US has already announced a price cut that would end up with the D100 slightly (US$200) more than the Canon at list pricing, not $1000. Yes, the price has not been reflected in SG prices but it is just a matter of time after all.

Market forces? On the contrary. Nikon just do what it needs to do, and by your own posts, show that Nikon does not release things fast; it makes up its mind and move at its own speed. This is a double-edge kind of way of doing business, but it does show that another Canon supporter's FUD and history is contradicted your statements.

Canon does produce cheaper lens and does come up with innovative stuff. I'm not saying that it is a bad thing.

However, the rate that the products come out means that your < 1 year old D60 is now worth less than half the purchase price (look that the resale price); your investment is just not protected.

You paid $2750 for a 10D. 6-9 months later, a new one say 11D comes out and makes your camera worth say $1700. If you are happy, fine. It is just like those people who changes their mobile phones every 6-9 months but these people only pay like $300-$400 for their changes, not $1000...

Status
Not open for further replies.