Creating a separate Professional Singaporean photographers forum?

It's good that something like that is moving forward...about time there was a local online platform for pros to exchange ideas, resources etc.

DWF (based in the US) is one such forum where a lot of pro wedding photographers around the world are on - it's a very valuable resource for the exact same reasons that are being suggested in this thread.

I'm not in SG those 2 dates...but really excited that this is happening :). Would be happy to help "remotely"!

Guys, I'm going to cut short this conversation. A lot of these issues can be discussed when we meet.
I suggest we meet on either 24th April Saturday afternoon 4pm or 25th April Sunday afternoon 4pm.

Let's meet at Orchard Central Spinellis or Quiznos.

Please start a list of your nickname + phone number + preferred day
On the day itself we can firstly:

Introduce ourselves and what we do
Discuss the possibilities of a forum
Discuss how to sustain a conversation in such a forum....................Jing aka mattlock

Attending:
1) mattlock Sat or Sun
2) hotwork77 Sat
3) catchlights Sat
4) Dream Merchant - Sat preferred

I think this is a great initiative Mattlock has started, and it's encouraging that the Admin supports it and is willing to help. :thumbsup:

both are out for me.

Won't finish till about 6.30pm unless it is raining.

Hart

there are some people who can't make it at 4. Who can make it around 7pm?Is that a better time?
Agetan can you make it at 7? How about the rest. If more people can make it at 7 we'll make it then.

Are any of the Clubsnap moderators/admin interested in attending this discussion? It will be great to have your presence

Are any of the Clubsnap moderators/admin interested in attending this discussion? It will be great to have your presence
I'll be there.

there are some people who can't make it at 4. Who can make it around 7pm?Is that a better time?
Agetan can you make it at 7? How about the rest. If more people can make it at 7 we'll make it then.

7pm for me is fine for either day.

Hart

Hi all, sorry for the late correspondence regarding this.I suddenly got overwhelmed by a tornado of work.

There are a few people who felt 7pm would be better so that is the time I am proposing for tomorrow's meeting

7pm
Quiznos
3rd Flr
Orchard Central

I know this is quite last minute so please let me know if you can make it. We'll keep it small for the first meeting and look into issues of:

Purpose of such a forum
Potential areas of benefit from such a forum
Ways to ensure participation
Technical issues regarding setting up a forum and ensuring privacy

I would like to invite each person to introduce themselves and their area of photographic work so that we get abit of insight into each other when we meet tomorrow.

My number is 91377827 so please RSVP with me so I know who to expect.

Wesley Kar Wai should be joining us also, and a member has kindly offered technical assistance and hosting should we need that.

Cheers

jing quek
http://superhyperreal.com

Hi Jing,

Is this still on?

SMS you and no reply from you.

Hart

I'm not a pro photographer but a suggestion is you could look into sites like Sportsshooter (paid membership) and lightstalkers.org (free membership). On both sites real names(not company names or handles) are used and posts are public but the public can't comment on the threads.

Perhaps Clubsnap could make it a forum within Clubsnap rather than a separate site. I hope it will not be hidden though. It could be a way for networking or to encourage professional (money making activity?) for accredited professonals as part of a professional organisation(Singapore's version of Magnum?).

http://www.sportsshooter.com/join.html
Requirements for membership:
1) You must first have the approval of a 'sponsor' - a currently active SportsShooter.com member.

2) Once your chosen sponsor approves your request, you will be automatically emailed instructions on how to complete the rest of the process. You will be asked to provide at least FIVE of your own images (600 pixels wide, 72 dpi, saved as JPEG in RGB mode), and one 50-by-50 pixel icon (saved as JPEG in RGB mode at 72 dpi.) Your images are expected to meet a level of quality that is consistent with that of the majority of the members of this site. In order for your membership to be accepted, your work should indicate that you can perform within, and understand, the acceptable quality standards of the sports photography/photojournalism industry.

Lightstalkers.org (Journalists, PJs, Professional photogs)
http://www.lightstalkers.org/users/new

You can join Lightstalkers free of charge, but you must be invited. If you've already received an invitation to join this site, enter the invitation code here.

Hi Jing,

Is this still on?

SMS you and no reply from you.

Hart

Apologies to all... My connection was down but remembered the 4pm thingy. Walked round and round but could not find anybody or group resembling a photog discussion. Hope I didn't miss anything.

i think what the main concern here is about the business of photography and not so much about tips and tricks of photography. seems people here are confusing the 2 and thinking the pros don't want to share shooting "secrets".

sorry guys, that was my bad. Timing was too tight so response was abit short.

Can we do this WED 730pm at Orchard Central Quiznos
I will prepare a list of things we can possibly look into so it's not just a sit and chat session.

Will update by tomorrow night

1)mattlock
2)

Last edited:
I'm not a pro photographer but a suggestion is you could look into sites like Sportsshooter (paid membership) and lightstalkers.org (free membership). On both sites real names(not company names or handles) are used and posts are public but the public can't comment on the threads.

Perhaps Clubsnap could make it a forum within Clubsnap rather than a separate site. I hope it will not be hidden though. It could be a way for networking or to encourage professional (money making activity?) for accredited professonals as part of a professional organisation(Singapore's version of Magnum?).

http://www.sportsshooter.com/join.html

Lightstalkers.org (Journalists, PJs, Professional photogs)
http://www.lightstalkers.org/users/new

yup good idea. Thanks for the input!

uhm... my cousin is in town so can't do Wednesday night.. so sorry.

Thursday onwards will be a better time for me...

Hart

uhm... my cousin is in town so can't do Wednesday night.. so sorry.

Thursday onwards will be a better time for me...

Hart

wah coordinating a meetup is tough work =P
How about mid afternoon WED or THURS

Last edited:
Hi Jing,

Appreciate that you organise this but this week is kinda out for me as well. My week just fully booked.

Should be plan for next week which I can block out a day or two?

Hart

Next week might be better for me as well ... :)