Copyright on music added to videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Ice

Dec 7, 2006
Planet Earth
www.tyregirl.com
I notice that on YouTube and other video providers that there are a lot of people who use popular music on their videos.

Are they infringing against the copyright laws of the music or can that music be used since it is not being used to make money?

I notice that on YouTube and other video providers that there are a lot of people who use popular music on their videos.

Are they infringing against the copyright laws of the music or can that music be used since it is not being used to make money?

They are infringing the copyright. Not making money from it is not a legal defence against any action, but the fact they are not making money usually means that it is not worthwhile for the copyright holder to go after them.

On the other hand, YouTube itself is now big business, and this means that YouTube is a prime target for legal action when users post copyright-infringing material.

I concur with Jaegersing :)

This would mean that not just YouTube users are infringing on copyright but most video sites that I have looked at are also infringing. The only thing I see being removed are say original usic videos by artists or tv progs being removed. Guess there too many users infringing to control it?

If I were to re-record the song using say a band - who would I need to get permissions from to use the words and music of the songs? OR is this required at all - since music books for instruments republish popular music???

The music books may already have obtained a license from the rights holders.

The music books may already have obtained a license from the rights holders.

Sorry to be so thick here - if we are using the music books can we just perform the music and add to the video or would we still need permission from somewhere? Can't seem to find this information on the web.

Sorry to be so thick here - if we are using the music books can we just perform the music and add to the video or would we still need permission from somewhere? Can't seem to find this information on the web.

There are a few different types of copyright, and each needs a different licence if you want to do it all legally. Try the COMPASS site for more information.

http://www.compass.org.sg/website/

Do note howver that COMPASS is a collection body representing the rights holders.

As such, entities with interests in collection of fees may give "advice" tending to slant towards getting you to pay license fees even where in some cases, it is doubtful whether license fees are required.

When in doubt, do also verify from other independent sources whether a license is indeed required, and then assess your risks and make your decision from there.

There are a few different types of copyright, and each needs a different licence if you want to do it all legally. Try the COMPASS site for more information.

http://www.compass.org.sg/website/

entities with interests in collection of fees may give "advice" tending to slant towards getting you to pay license fees even where in some cases, it is doubtful whether license fees are required.

Very interesting. Got any example of this kind of thing? I always thought COMPASS was very straight and would not ask for fees they were not entitled to.

I'm just stating the possibility. COMPASS represents rights holders, and is not a government body. They have no obligation to be fair to you as their main aim is to collect as much revenue as possible for the parties they represent.

Its the same as any other profit generating body.

Very interesting. Got any example of this kind of thing? I always thought COMPASS was very straight and would not ask for fees they were not entitled to.

Status
Not open for further replies.