Continuous shutter/flash combo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cap_Dingo

Apr 25, 2006
I'm stumped. Don't know why when the flash is used, my continuous shutter doesn't fire continuously. Seems to only fire once, then needs a second press on the shutter to make it fire again. Is this the way Nikon builds its cams?

think it's cos your flash can't recycle fast enough (i.e. couldn't charge up in time). to resolve the issue, use higher ISO, wider aperture, be closer to subject, external battery pack for ur flash, etc to improve the recycling rate.

erm... bro.. i think its the same for all cameras... your flash needs recharge time. So unless you have a external flash with a short cycle time, you won't be able to do continuous flash...

But its not very healthy to do continous flash... can blow your blub if you're not careful... usually i don't do more then 2 burst. Just so i can edit some close eyes... thats about all i do for continuous flash...

unless you're talking about studio shoots then, ya you can get better lightings.

double post sorry.

Good advice dudes. Thanks. I was under the impression that continuous flashes were "normal". Thanks for clarifying. Under no flash conditions, it works fine. Thanks again!

btw, have seen a Nikon SB800 being fired contunously (powered by quantum battery pack) till the bulb blew. haven't encountered the same thing (touch wood) for my canon 550ex and 580ex yet despite doing lots of continuous firing of up to maybe 500 per 30mins session (powered by CP-E2 or CP-E3, not as powerful as quantum's, so some frames are dark).

btw, have seen a Nikon SB800 being fired contunously (powered by quantum battery pack) till the bulb blew. haven't encountered the same thing (touch wood) for my canon 550ex and 580ex yet despite doing lots of continuous firing of up to maybe 500 per 30mins session (powered by CP-E2 or CP-E3, not as powerful as quantum's, so some frames are dark).

Its always tempting to just shoot shoot shoot went u have the power :p until it suddenly kapoot... hee hee :eek:. Especially with kids...

erm... bro.. i think its the same for all cameras... your flash needs recharge time. So unless you have a external flash with a short cycle time, you won't be able to do continuous flash...

But its not very healthy to do continous flash... can blow your blub if you're not careful... usually i don't do more then 2 burst. Just so i can edit some close eyes... thats about all i do for continuous flash...

unless you're talking about studio shoots then, ya you can get better lightings.

Even with Studi shoots, pls allow the strobes to refresh. Else you'd also get blown bulbs... not cheap to replace either...

Yes, I was using this with kids too - hence the need for flash =)

Yes, I was using this with kids too - hence the need for flash =)

Use a bounce card when u have a ext flash :) it helps with the cycle time as it uses less power per flash ... thats something i chanced upon while experimenting with the various diffusers. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.