Confused by filter lenses...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a newbie, i was almost ready to go and purchase one because of the Haze word thinking that it does "filter" off the haze. But i somehow felt that its going to be expensive cause if it can filter off haze and somehow restructure the image behind the haze.... WOW!!!

But then judging from your reply and Bro daredevil's..... Sianzzz!!

Also one question: The CPL filters, i understand that it lengthens the exposure time ( Shutter speed is slower )? Does it mean that i have to have a tripod to use it? Thinking of getting one when i go underwater world in sentosa....

Cheers!

i dun think ppl use CPLs indoor... useless imho in terms of adding contrast to colors... probably only for any reflections off glass.

Also one question: The CPL filters, i understand that it lengthens the exposure time ( Shutter speed is slower )? Does it mean that i have to have a tripod to use it?

Cheers!

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Please understand the relationship between Aperture, shutter speed and ISO. like i said a few times in my earlier post already, a CPL may reduce the light coming in by 1.5 to 2 stops. So based on that, and apply the relationship of A, S and ISO. Then apply that to the rule of 1/focal-length. You will get your answer. There is no single answer for this question.

i dun think ppl use CPLs indoor... useless imho in terms of adding contrast to colors... probably only for any reflections off glass.

Even for reducing reflections on glass, it will not work well, coz the glass is bending in all directions at all weird angles, with light sources from different angles. CPL cannot handle all at one time.

Even for reducing reflections on glass, it will not work well, coz the glass is bending in all directions at all weird angles, with light sources from different angles. CPL cannot handle all at one time.

If you were referring to all those bendy sections of glass walkway at the underwater world, then yeah~.
But normally, my experience with CPL is that most of the reflection on flat glass planes get polarized(blocked off).

Just go answer the TS, there are also other effect filters like star bust filter or softening filter. The more experience you get, the more you start to demand from your equipment, then you can start to collect interesting filters like 14stop ND filters.

For stepping up, i think most pros step all your lens to 77mm to share filters, so they don't need to carry around too much stuff. Imagine caring 3-4 different CPL sizes. They can leave the Step up rings on permanently and just get a 77mm cap.

And to answer why do people use ND filter, one reason is to create "movement" it STIMULATES (not simulate =D) something like a long exposure shot in the night. just in the day. Just 1 example. Or if u r shooting lake landscape and want a stronger reflection, the ND filter can help to allow the photographer to have a longer exposure time, while not overexposing the shot.

Last edited:
quick question... which brand of uv filter u trust and why...?? would u spend extra bucks on more expensive uv filter...??

quick question... which brand of uv filter u trust and why...?? would u spend extra bucks on more expensive uv filter...??

Nomen est omen? Please be so kind as to search the existing threads, polls, price guides etc. It's not that UV filters change every week, nor have they been introduced recently. Plenty of information available. Finally it's the same as with many other things: you get what you pay for.
A recent UV filter review, also highlighting potential issues introduced by UV filters.

quick answer... Hoya, popular, established.... yes u pay for what u get

Status
Not open for further replies.