Cleaning old yellowed equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabee

Mar 12, 2009
Upper Serangoon
www.flickr.com
Hi guys, recently I bought some 2nd hand gear in great working condition. However the rubber (?) buttons have begun to yellow / dull and I also have an old flash with a diffuser that has a slight yellow tinge. I can see no yellow cast yet from the flash but it worries me anyhow so I'm wondering if anyone has an idea on how I can remove the 'yellowness' from these aging equipment. I tried alcohol but it doesn't seem to help.

I'm sure many photographers like their gear to look good and I'm no exception. Of course there are people who like their gear battered and weathered but I digress...

Maybe you can describe a bit more in detail what kind of gear you have and where the yellow colouring occurs? There are many different materials and it's a but difficult to give any advice if we even have to guess what it is that turned yellowish.
Beside this: all things that are used will show use marks sooner or later. Doesn't need to be 'battered and weathered' but it's unavoidable. It also depends on where you use it. Studio equipment has good chances to look better compared to equipment used in wildlife or war documentary :)

It is the result of oxidisation, it is a natural decaying process, there is no way to remove those yellows.

Status
Not open for further replies.