Choice between a Pro body and 500mm prime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Apr 27, 2002
www.asianhomebiz.com
Hi folks,

If you have to choose between a Pro body like a 1D and a 500mm Prime, which would you go for. Budget only allow for one or the other. I already have 400mm.

I am quite impressed with what the 1D can do though but a longer lens is also desirable. ;p Further, there are several 1D going for very reasonable prices of late. The temptation is just too great! :cry:

Choices.

Go for the 1D

sorry, pardon me for asking,

what can the 1D do that the 10D can't ?

i do know what the 1D2 can do that the 10D can't though.

i think it all goes down to what do you need more.. a prime or a camera ? perhaps you don't even have to spend the money, save it and maybe there'll be better future purchases that you can consider.

I think the 500mm prime is a better investment because it gives u more reach for wateva u want to shoot... A 10D doesn't mean u are crippled by the camera... The camera can wait in my opinion, take the lens... Its better to keep on shooting with a new lens than have the same lot and a older 1D that may or may not be the ideal camera... IMO, lens, then camera...

The 500/4 is not too far from your 400/2.8 or 4. No point investing all that $$$ for an extra 100mm.

If your choices are either the prime or the 1D, I'd go with the 1D. Actually if you're considering the 500/4, you should have a budget for a 1D2!, with spare change I might add.

I'm assuming you talking about the EF 500/4, not the other nonsense.

hmm... if you want more reach, with a 1D, you'll actually have less as it has a 1.3x cropping factor vs 1.6x of the prosumer ones.

Thanks folks for the input. Decided to keep the Vit M in the Bank, just for a little longer until september. :D

Thread closed.

I'm still contended with my 300d..until I feel that it will cripple my shoots..so far I forsee the difficulty I might be facing is on the burst shots and buffer other than that 2 meg pixel diff to me no difference..
As for the lens I find it too big to carry around....mayb i will forgo both! ha!

Jeff said:
Thanks folks for the input. Decided to keep the Vit M in the Bank, just for a little longer until september. :D

Thread closed.
Good choice. Knowing Canon, there might be something new in the coming months, possibly the 10D replacement which could be a good upgrade too. Wait and see is the best choice.

Between 1D or a 500mm prime, difficult choice, I agree. :sweat: The 1D is a vastly better body than a 300D/10D, with a great AF system. However, if you are into bird/wildlife photography, you must take into account the 1.3x crop factor, which will give u a lot less reach than a 1.6x crop body. Hence if I were to want more reach, I would go for the lens first, and upgrade the body much later on.

I will go for the lens (if I have that moni)... looking at the technology development, I guess in a year or two bodies will be cheaper and more advanced than those available today.. Lens technologies on the other hand is fairly stable and can be used for years before you feel the need for longer reach.. So I will spend that moni for the lens and later upgrade body later..

Status
Not open for further replies.