Cheapo wedding shoot

well... its a wedding. a d-80 aint gonna cut it, to be really frank.

let it go bah. photos come out liao then see lor

well... its a wedding. a d-80 aint gonna cut it, to be really frank.

let it go bah. photos come out liao then see lor

Well it's an outdoor portrait shoot for a wedding, so D80 will cut it provided the photographer has decent lenses (not saying the 18-55 is crap, after all I produced a shot that was featured on flickr blog with it, but it's still not the most ideal lens for a portrait shoot) and skills/vision.

Well it's an outdoor portrait shoot for a wedding, so D80 will cut it provided the photographer has decent lenses (not saying the 18-55 is crap, after all I produced a shot that was featured on flickr blog with it, but it's still not the most ideal lens for a portrait shoot) and skills/vision.

final output size leh... usually they are pretty large prints no?

i know how much lower end bodies can be pushed la (look at my 450d and what i used to do with it :p). but i find it a little ridiculous to take a wedding photo with a d80...

and its somemore not event coverage yet...

for me, what it sounds like now, is poor EQ, poor IQ. skills can only make up so much imho. (IQ meaning image quality)

why not?
I shot weddings using D70 with kit lens before, D80 is much advance then D70, can not meh??

what is the point if photographer is using D3 or 1D with all the tok gong lenses, but the photos really CMI, what good is that?

why not?
I shot weddings using D70 with kit lens before, D80 is much advance then D70, can not meh??

what is the point if photographer is using D3 or 1D with all the tok gong lenses, but the photos really CMI, what good is that?
not saying cannot. but i would expect (as a consumer), that there shld be some good equipments + good skills + good service.

then it goes back to the price etc etc etc...

Better not let this fella becomes a pro... He will have serious attitude problem. Like very yaya papaya like that.

Last edited:
Maybe he got a storeroom full of expensive equipments but seeing the paid price he just take a random camera and lens?

guessing it's a freelance "fauxtographer" engaged by the bridal company

when first D100 came out, with fuji S1 etc, many uses it to shoot weddings, pre weddings etc, 6 megabits, nothing wrong and many says very pro.....

fotoudavid said:
when first D100 came out, with fuji S1 etc, many uses it to shoot weddings, pre weddings etc, 6 megabits, nothing wrong and many says very pro.....

Best answer!

Perhaps the guy was some part-time photographer who's feeling stressed & just want to get the job done without all the niceties & PR. I think you are just pissed off with his discourtesy. I've know of people who used the D60 for weddings & the couple was more than delighted with the results. Different people, different expectations & demands. Not everyone goes for the "creative" photos & ex photographer with fancy equipment stuff....

Last edited:
While I don't quite go with the equipments being cheapo, but we do agree nowadays equipments "confidence" count. Of course, if we can see some nice pics to prove otherwise, it would be nice. Nonetheless, the behaviour as quoted about, only he "photographer" can snap and others cannot even when out of the way is kinda weird.

I think D80 and kit lens can produce stunning works too, especially since it's day time. Nice oof background can be produced using kit lens provided the background is far enough from the subject.

While I don't quite go with the equipments being cheapo, but we do agree nowadays equipments "confidence" count. Of course, if we can see some nice pics to prove otherwise, it would be nice. Nonetheless, the behaviour as quoted about, only he "photographer" can snap and others cannot even when out of the way is kinda weird.

I think D80 and kit lens can produce stunning works too, especially since it's day time. Nice oof background can be produced using kit lens provided the background is far enough from the subject.

The camera had a tripod base plate mounted on it. While I was not present during the studio shoot, I have this horror feeling that he used the same thing for the studio shoot also.

Anyway, like everyone say, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and wait for the final results. Just that all these things have caused me to feel annoyed and uneasy lor.

put it this way. the d100, s1 was the "peak" of the technology back in the hey days. if you are shooting in film/lower res cameras, u probably get the same kind of questions we are raising now.. if i have to argue this line of thought, why don't ppl just stick with good old film for weddings? if people can use the pinhole cameras, does it mean we should still be using it?

in short, people always expect the best. no point saying "d80 is good enough" etc. consumers don't really care. they want good IQ, EQ and skills. and who is paying? :)

sad observation of life haha... and its not helped by the fact canikon is advertising their cameras so strongly that consumers actually know which camera is better than the other nowadays...

just raising from a consumer POV, which we seem to be neglecting. trust me, i've done a lot with my 450d, so i know what can be done with even the most basic of cameras, from a photographers POV.

Last edited:
from a photographers POV, it will always use the best gear/technique/method to do the shoot.

from a businessman POV, it will just meet the bare minimum requirement to keep costing low and generate maximum profit.

Since your bro-in-law go for the cheap package, the bridal shop is simply doing their business cater to budget conscious customers.

so can't expect too much. One Cent Money, One Cent Goods.

btw, many wedding couples sign up bridal packages during wedding roadshow, especially the budget one, they didn't realize the sale persons they talk to are not the staffs from the bridal shop which they had sign up.

they are just promoters who do sales from bridal shops, the make commissions from every packages they sold. In order to boost their sales, they will promise anything is included in the package, but later the couple realize that is not truth, many things are just very basic, many things they need to upgrade, usually that is about one year later after they had sign up with the bridal shop.

so by the time they look for actual day photographers (wedding day photographers), they had already depleted their budget, the only way out is to come to clubsnap to look for cheap photographers.

do you think this photographer is the staff of the bridal shop?
if yes, the camera is company own, do you think the company will bother to use a top of the line gears?

so if the photographer is just a service provider taking assignments from this bridal shop, they will look for the cheapest photographers available.

if you are full time photographer, can you afford to shoot with top of the line gears, but earning peanuts?

I think it's the attitude that pissed off Uncle Fai.

My guess is that the photog is the usual really low paid ones by the studio and he is just going thru a preset predetermined set of locations and poses. Usually after they shot, they don't edit but another DI artist will photoshop the pics, sometimes doing more damages, then another staff good with sales will psycho the clients and sell the pics. If these photogs are the service oriented type or those with gilb tongues it probably would had be an ok experience. I think you might had met a stressed one who is unsure of things or just someone that is pissed with all the other kaypohs shooting making his job harder. Not saying its you but it could be a built up effect. They probably face this problem more with the lower end market. IMHO respecting the photog goes a long way too, not saying who is right or wrong. I always say this; you don't go into another chef's kitchen and try to cook also it's a direct show of disrespect, regardless if it's a world class chef or hawker uncle they all deserve the minimum baseline respect. It doesn't help when he pulls out an older camera. But be fair, how much your friend paying? You want a $10000 Vera Wang dress you pay the price, you want an awarding winning photog, you pay the price, you want him using a $7000 D3S or a $30000 hasselblad, simply, pay the price and you will get. I agreed with allenleonhart, equipment must be up to date and relevant, but are prices?

The D80 is a damn capable camera, wedding portraits no problem.

Then when I tried to take with my camera, he says "I take only, you cannot take." I heck care. I got better reach with my V1 70-110 so I just stand behind him and snapped.

But like I say I tiam tiam since I only driver.
But felt the need to let out steam here. Anyway, they can't afford an expensive package so what to do?

If you and the photographer has camera raised at the same time , there is a very high chance that 2 persons in cameras would be looking at different angles .
Unless that is the effect intended , else it would be a wasted photo .