Cheap Lens Price in Sim Lim it's is reality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marboed

Jan 29, 2009
Singapore
www.picasaweb.google.com
hi guys, i am new in Singapore
yesterday i went to Sim Lim Square just looking around to see the lens Price
after asked some shops i found that the price is so cheap than in my country (Indonesia)
i wanted to buy Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro and Canon 50mm f1.4
  1. first is Bally Photo : #02-55
    this shop has good service, and they give me their name card with the price written on it
    100mm f2.8 Macro : $670 - exclude the GST​
    50mm f1.4 : $465 - exclude the GST​
  2. Camera Talk :
    They little bit pissed off when thew knew that i was just checking price (not recommended seller) they didn't even gave me any services when i was asking for the price lens.

then i went to some others stores and the Bally's Photo price is still the best.

3. and the last is I.T. Digital : #01-33
    this was the last shop that i tried to ask and i was very surprised, the owner gave me :
    100mm f2.8 macro for $670 - Include the GST,
    he said that "you just give me $670 and this lens is your, and you will have another 7% rebate for GST at the airport"​
    50mm f1.4 is just $340 - Include the GST also​
    He persuaded me to buy at that time, since i don't know if it's new lens, is it real price, the warranty (the owner said it is international warranty for one year) or anything else, i told him that i would come back this weekend..

is this price is real? how the lens price can be that cheaper than in my country? (30% cheaper) anyone have experience this kind of situation and decided to buy the lens? how's the lens condition?

really need help here, hope i can have a guidance from you guys...

thanks very much

First of all, welcome to Singapore. Hope you enjoy your stay. :)

Getting to the topic on hand, if you search long enough, you'll know that the only reputable shops in Sim Lim are Alan Photo and Orient Photo. All the others have been blacklisted by most of the members here, especially Bally Photo.

The low price is the bait for unsuspecting customers. Once they have your attention, they'll try to sell you additional items, (filter, converter, etc) saying that you can only get the quoted price if you buy a bundle. (Making it much more expensive) Best if you know the prices of filters as well so you can make a comparison on the spot. Good luck hunting for bargains.

after asked some shops i found that the price is so cheap than in my country (Indonesia)
    this shop has good service, and they give me their name card with the price written on it
  2. Camera Talk :
    They little bit pissed off when thew knew that i was just checking price (not recommended seller) they didn't even gave me any services when i was asking for the price lens.

then i went to some others stores and the Bally's Photo price is still the best.

this was the last shop that i tried to ask and i was very surprised, the owner gave me :
    he said that "you just give me $670 and this lens is your, and you will have another 7% rebate for GST at the airport"​
    He persuaded me to buy at that time, since i don't know if it's new lens, is it real price, the warranty (the owner said it is international warranty for one year) or anything else, i told him that i would come back this weekend..

is this price is real? how the lens price can be that cheaper than in my country? (30% cheaper) anyone have experience this kind of situation and decided to buy the lens? how's the lens condition?

thanks very much

look here...
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465032&page=2

try to buy just the lens and throw them a smoke bomb that u don't need filters. but make sure they give u all the lens caps. those come with the lens.

unscrupulous shops may try to sell u items that should come with the original package. not mentioning names.

get ur filters from reputable shops. u may not get the lowest price but at least u won't be likely to be ripped off. some of the smaller shops may quote u a good price but then u kena slapped with huge markups on accessories. but u dun know cos u thought u got a good deal on the main item already.:dunno:

try to buy just the lens and throw them a smoke bomb that u don't need filters. but make sure they give u all the lens caps. those come with the lens.

unscrupulous shops may try to sell u items that should come with the original package. not mentioning names.

get ur filters from reputable shops. u may not get the lowest price but at least u won't be likely to be ripped off. some of the smaller shops may quote u a good price but then u kena slapped with huge markups on accessories. but u dun know cos u thought u got a good deal on the main item already.:dunno:

hahaha, are you come from Indonesia too the "kena slapped" is kinda funny... hehe... thank you guys for your guidance, I just want to buy lens and get all the accessories back in Indonesia, is it ok? is there any experience that they are selling the old or broken lens? surely i can try it first before actually purchase the lens and see if it is working fine and doing some exam regarding the lens quality, if it's new, the warranty card and anything else..

once again, that all for your guidance

U stll can buy from them if u know what u are buying.. dun hand them yr cash so quick... do a complete check make sure all the items like hood, pouch and 2 caps are inside... mad sure warranty card with stamps are inside...test the lens.. and pay and go..

I would suggest that you go for the reputable shops like Alan Photo and Orient Photo at Sim Lim Sq. Otherwise, go to Peninsular/Funan and check out Cathay Photo or John 3:16. Other to check out are TK Photo and MS Color.

hahaha, are you come from Indonesia too the "kena slapped" is kinda funny... hehe... thank you guys for your guidance, I just want to buy lens and get all the accessories back in Indonesia, is it ok? is there any experience that they are selling the old or broken lens? surely i can try it first before actually purchase the lens and see if it is working fine and doing some exam regarding the lens quality, if it's new, the warranty card and anything else..

no, i'm singaporean. but Sim Lim has one decent shop (IMHO). Orient Photo. it's on the top floor. the other shops are usually the ah beng kinda shops which intimidate the non ah-bengs like myself.

ah beng means something like "gangster" or "ruffian". although they are not literally gangsters.. just a local term for such pple ;p

You can go OP at level 6. I saw many Indonesian buy from the shop. They are friendly though you check price only. You can call to check price before going down.
http://www.orientfoto.com.sg/

Even as a Singaporean I do not trust nor buy photographic stuff at Sim Lim, with the exception of OP and Alan Photo.

Going to the rest is like playing with fire even though you may know the products and prices well.

You have to be on your guard all the time and be alert, this tires you out, just like stepping into a lions' den even if you are well armed. So why put yourself to all these just to try and out maneuver those "buayas"

Here is a list of issues with Sim Lim shops and two on Bally at Sim Lim and its branch at Funan here:

Sim Lim
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473006
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3377548#post3377548
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4123567#post4123567
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3724064#post3724064
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3251937#post3251937

Bally Photo
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4654005#post4654005
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3915602#post3915602

Good luck and if you still persist in going there more good luck ;)

PS - they know you are Indonesian and Indonesian here buying cameras and expensive items are known to be Orang Kaya and also can be "slaughtered" hence they(esp Bally Photo) will give you "good service" before bring out the chopping board. - beware of their "good service"

Last edited:
GOod advice.. I dont trust them at all .. Their smiles to me are like a smiling tiger... ready to maul you up once you lose your footing..
- just avoid those salesman .. sometimes.. they behave like gangsters touting buyers... But yet .. just dont worry .. cos its all about.. buyers moneys power...

I've only purchased my photographic equipment from AP and OP. But I have since moved to Lords at Lucky Plaza.

A friend of mine told me that some of the shops in SLS are selling Nikon lenses at "before recent price increase prices". I wonder whether this is a ploy too.

2. Camera Talk :

thanks very much

Mas, garansinya toko atau international? gue ingat ngak ada garansi, makanya lebih murah. Lantai 6 toko Orient lebih jujur.

do think it is ever a good idea to shop there except go orient

Well, if they offer you that good a price, take it, its their loss. Of course, You had better make sure everything that is suppose to be there is there and that its a new item with warranty. Basically making sure everything is in order, that's the hard part. And of course, don't buy things that you don't know the price of before hand, else its obviously easy to get ripped off. If you find that the savings aren't worth the trouble and risk, then go to the reputable shops. Just weigh the pros and cons.

normal ploy is to trap you with the cheap price and slaughter you with a overpriced filter

best is to stay away from SLS if you cannot tahan pressure tactics

hi guys, thanks for all your reply..
i came back to Sim Lim Square last Sunday to the shop that gave "good" price (IT. Digital - #01-33)

when i asked again the lens price (50mm f1.4) with the same person the price was $490 (it was $340 when the first time i came), and he laughed at me when i said, "you gave me $340 3 days ago and that's the reason i came back here"... i was pissed off and realized that this shop is a "big bull sh**" and the when other shopkeeper came to me and offer me the 50mm f1.4 with mamiya filter for $550, i straightly told him "yeah you can sell to your mother" and i just went out from that "very nonsense store".

went to another shop (India Shop) asking for 100mm f2.8 macro, he gave me $600 and i said, OK i will take one (because the price is good, the general price is about 670).. He let me tried the display lens, it worked good in 40D, check the lens physic, focus and surface it's all good with the international warranty inside it... then he asked me to wait for him to brought me the new lens because the displayed one cant be sold. while i was waiting, he offered me so many other lens and also filters for the lens, but i just said "i only wanted the lens". after waited for 10 minutes, he phoned so many times and then came to me said, the lens is out of stock, then i said "how come? can i have the displayed one", he just told me that he sold it, then i was doing some bullshit test, "how if i buy the display one for $700", he just straightly said to me, OK i will give you for $700.. hahaha (positively bull sh**) but i told him that i only got $600 dollar in my wallet... then i just go out from his shop.

tried Alan Photo, good service but very high price tag..

go to the orient photo and have the general price ($670 exclude GST) and then bought the 100mm f2.8 macro from them since had been frustrated getting so many "bull s***" from the 1st and 2nd stories shops.

NEXT TIME, I'M DONE SHOPPING EVEN ASKING PRICE TO THE "BULL SH**" STORE AT SIM LIM :D

Status
Not open for further replies.