Cheap LCD field monitor

jasonjoseph

Nov 10, 2009
Hi

Anyone know where i can get a cheap LCD field monitor, doesn't have to be very big 5' - 9'. Using standard RCA (yellow, red, white) inputs.
I think Sim Lim has some but i don't know which one is good.

thanks in advance
jas

When u say 'field' do you mean outdoors? I am currently using a Shinco DVD player with AV-in. This has a built-in battery and need not use AC power.
It uses the mini jack (3.5mm) at one end and the standard RCA plugs at the other. This is better than a cheapo LCD TV which I used as a monitor before I replaced it with the Shinco. The Shinco DVD player was bought at about $120.

Thanks for the reply, how long does the battery last ?

If you're going to shoot videos for years. (Like you're not gonna give up on this hobby anytime soon)

I strongly suggest you get something that will last. I used to have a $100 monitor, after afew months it went buzz. - It sucked to begin with anyway.

I've got a www.smallhd.com and its strongly recommended.
You can try getting from "Ikan" or "Swit", if you want top notch monitors, get from "Marshall"

Thanks Hobbes,

we're doing alot of work in the field, litteraly, and i wouldn't want to expose the high end mons to the harsh environments and torrential downpours. we have another mon for HD work.
this cheaper one would be merely for framing.

but thanks for the smallhd link will look into it

Well actually if you're doing it for work erm. even more you shld use only the better ones.

I agree you shouldn't use the top notch ones and bring them to Afghanistan or something... but if you really need the sharpness just use it. Equip is bought to be used and abused, not put in a softbox and hide it in there :p

For framing, go get any monitor that overscans (show u abit more than what ur camera output) = some monitor underscan which defeats the purpose of using it to frame.

But I guess the only reason I get a monitor is for focusing, so thats where the investment comes in - for me personally. I think I can frame without a monitor, but not critical focusing :p

Sigh... Santa came early this year..

16337_181160132524_521917524_3440100_2902014_n.jpg

16337_181160142524_521917524_3440102_1815763_n.jpg

16337_181160172524_521917524_3440107_4213907_n.jpg

16337_181160192524_521917524_3440111_2604555_n.jpg

16337_181160197524_521917524_3440112_6490500_n.jpg

3 batteries :p

Hey Hobbes

Just wondering whats the "field report" of the Small HD was it up to your expectations?
jas

Last edited:
It's really good and solid, my friend who had used the ikan before said the SmallHD was way sharper... Still yet to use it for a commercial shoot yet.

Hey jason, wanna shoot a music video? :D

hah for who ?
been thinking about shooting a music vid for sometime now, but dunno any bands personally.
work has got me swamped at the moment too.
everyday cheonging sua in tekong

shoot for fun lah. hahah 4th(overnight) and 5th(morning-afternoon) Dec.
See if you're free.. gonna shoot on 7D and XHA1.
=D

yep i saw a few such setup at the ground level of Sim Lim, but all the shop assts i met were so unhelpful i was totally turned off by their service. Maybe if you're not a tourist they dun give you the time of day.

Looks a bit small, especially if you want to use it for focussing.

Still yet to use it for a commercial shoot yet.

Thanks for your support! Let us know if you need anything. Be sure to charge the batteries via a USB Wall Charger. Charging from a PC will damage the batteries.

You might want to download a copy of the User Guide.

The Tutorials are also very helpful.

Send us some photos of you and your rig. Our team likes to see the various setups and how the DP1 is used in the field.

info@smallhd.com

Thanks!

-reed

another satisfied smallhd user here

Hi, I am an independent filmmaker and I am looking for a rather cheap, small, battery operated LCD monitor that has the right threading to attach to a tripod. It doesn't have to be HD or anything, I just need a small external monitor with AV input.

I haven't thoroughly searched for one but any help would be much appreciated.

video game accessories-NDS Accessories

Last edited: