Charged $1 for receiving an unsolicited CNY greeting SMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't you do an interview with him? I was about to suggest calling the newspapers to report on this. it is certainly newsworthy.

Terence said:
Aiyo, a media reporter just emailed me asking me about the email I had circulated to my friends.

I guess the press is really catching on to this.

ha.... guess I'm 1 of those who saw the bill, puzzled why I was charged for something I didn't subcribe/use... and forgotten to do anything about it..... :angry:

until i read this thread..... time to do something.....

Chlee said:
ha.... guess I'm 1 of those who saw the bill, puzzled why I was charged for something I didn't subcribe/use... and forgotten to do anything about it..... :angry:

until i read this thread..... time to do something.....

u are not alone!

I saw this in the morning and called M1 ... they told me that they will settle this with value service provider on my behalf and waiver of the $1...

emcee said:
u are not alone!

I saw this in the morning and called M1 ... they told me that they will settle this with value service provider on my behalf and waiver of the $1...
Dont take their verbal words for it, be a good consumer and lodge a written complaint so this thing cannot happen again in future.

zhang3feng said:
i just complaint to M1.. and i told them that if this problem is not solved & given a proper answer to.. i will not pay my bills! lol:bsmilie:
hahaha! :sweatsm:

di0nysus said:
tell reporter that maybe M1 etc can give discounts on HP for those affect as gesture of goodwill etc. ( i need a new HP lah.:p)
:bsmilie:

adam72 said:
i was just informed by m1 customer service when i called them that my bill will be waived next month, inclusive of gst too...

On a lighter note, it's interesting to note the progression of M1's response every time someone calls. ;p

I received a reply from IDA:

"If you are agreeable, IDA can forward your case to mTouche and ask mTouche to investigate and clarify to you directly. IDA will separately look into whether mTouche has breached any regulations."

berryhappy said:

"If you are agreeable, IDA can forward your case to mTouche and ask mTouche to investigate and clarify to you directly. IDA will separately look into whether mTouche has breached any regulations."
Pls remember to ask IDA that the telco companies (M1, Singtel Mobile and maybe Starhub) also have a role in this $1 charging issue.

Astin said:
Pls remember to ask IDA that the telco companies (M1, Singtel Mobile and maybe Starhub) also have a role in this $1 charging issue.

OK. I was wondering too 'cos the email did not mention about the telco companies at all.

berryhappy said:

Sounds like a template reply. I received a reply from IDA also and this sentence appeared too.

Anyway, reply again to IDA, tell them my concern; mainly, how come companies like mTouche can have access to my number and send unsolicited SMS like this - and charge the mobile subscriber. There's no fine print or otherwise to say our numbers can be used in this way if we did take part in any SMS competition or lucky draw.

The only 2 times I used to take part in SMS competition is (1) Project Superstar (2) MacDonald's stuff.

Actually, can't blame M1, since they're the middle man - they're just helping to collect money for mTouche. But then again maybe I should also make some noise to them too so that they know that customers are unhappy.

I received a sms from mtouche (77330) today.

The contain is
Dear Customer, due to an error on MyGlobalFun, you may be billed $1 this mth. We'll refund $1 in your next phone bill. The svc is for a CNY greeting from 77330.

I was wondering what is that until I read this thread.

chrislwp said:

The contain is
Dear Customer, due to an error on MyGlobalFun, you may be billed $1 this mth. We'll refund $1 in your next phone bill. The svc is for a CNY greeting from 77330.

Does this sms cost u another $1 also?

chrislwp said:

The contain is

I hope you will not be charged $1 for receiving this sms though. :bsmilie:

Ah Pao said:
Actually, can't blame M1, since they're the middle man - they're just helping to collect money for mTouche.

In this case, M1 is acting somewhat like a credit card company. If you dispute an item in your CC bill, the bank will do an investigation. They will not simply say "X say charge you, so I charge lor, anything you want to settle, call X yourself". But this was essentially what both M1 and Singtel said.

This is getting serious.. my friend tio 20 SMS, not only I found out some are from other service provider (handphone theme, background, ringtone) He just downloaded one for fun. subsequently.. the XXX company once in a blue moon send him something... and all chargable!! :angry:

Those who download anything from Newspaper ads or mag ads pls beware... once you agree the term and condition during you accept and press OK. ....???!!! :angry:

I think s'pore consumer body should look into this.. WTH

Moreover when you call in... all being direct to an answering machine.... what a good service offered???:angry:

One more online letter at ST forum today. :)

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,371690,00.html?

Full text:
Feb 17, 2006
Is it legal to send SMS to cellphone users and charge them without their consent?

I RECEIVED my SingTel Mobile bill and noticed a $1 charge by mTouche on Jan 31.

I called SingTel and the customer service officer asked me if I had received any SMS greeting. I did receive one from 77330 on Jan 31. The officer confirmed that 77330 belongs to mTouche. The officer suggested I contact mTouche if I did not want to pay the $1 charge.

I called mTouche and was told the SMS was sent by a company called Global Fun. My mobile number will be deleted from its list and the $1 waived.

Is it legal to send SMS greetings to cellphone users and charge them $1 without their consent? Although the company may agree to waive the charge if you ask, many people may pay unknowingly if they do not check their bill. If the company sends the SMS to the four million cellphone users in Singapore, there is a lot of money to be made.

Will the authorities comment?

Neo Bay Lee (Ms)

We can give our feedback directly at the letter page.

My colleague who don't know about this received a SMS from Singtel yesterday explaining this and Singtel will be refunding the $1 in the next bill. Also advise users no need to call the Singtel hotline.

Now is M1 doing the same for it's users?

Mtouche has placed an advertisement/notice to state that the S$1 was a billing error and all charges will be reversed

vince123123 said:
Mtouche has placed an advertisement/notice to state that the S$1 was a billing error and all charges will be reversed
vince123123, may I know where did you see this notice?

Status
Not open for further replies.