Charged $1 for receiving an unsolicited CNY greeting SMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canew said:
Not only on M1. My SingTel Mobile bill have also being charged for MTouche too. I called up Singtel, they told me what M1 told the threadstarter. I then got the MTouche contact number from the Singtel staff and then subsequently called MTouche to terminate their 'services'. The charges stopped after the next bill.

What is the role of Singtel and M1 in this?? Don't they have a cut in the charges?

There might some insider story which they do not want the public to know. Well, if you are so against it, place a vote against the People Action Party during the coming election.:cool:

Hmmm, maybe too kua zhang.

I am sure IDA will look into this matter and Straits Times will be keen to expose another 'NKF' possibility.

Think you guys had better help spread the word around via email to your friends and family. If it's $1 per subscriber, imagine how much it'll add up to. And I know a lot of folks will not pay much attention to the details of the charges on their statements. Here's an example email I sent out, you're welcome to copy and paste it to your emails.

========================

Hi all,

Just a quick note to let everyone know of a mobile phone scam that's been going round lately in Singapore. If you're a M1 or Singtel subscriber, there might have been recent charges to your account which may have been faked.

Subscribers who have received SMS greetings over the recent Chinese New Year period from the short number 77330 will have been charged $1 per greeting. The service is from a company called mTouche ( www.mtouche.com ), and the charge would have been levied even if you've not subscribed to their greeting service. mTouche has been fined by IDA ( www.ida.gov.sg ) in the past for the same offence but they seem to be doing it again.

Do check your recent statements carefully. So far it seems only M1 and Singtel customers are experiencing this problem but subscribers to other networks should review their statements just to make sure.

The best thing you can do if you've received these extra charges is to send a complain to IDA at info@ida.gov.sg . Don't bother calling mTouche as they've disconnected their phone lines as of this morning. The telcos claim they are unable to do anything about charges levied by a third party.

Please spread the word around.

i kena as well. i'll try to NOT PAY for the $1 first... rather than pay and wait for refund (which may never come)

^#$%@#$!

Terence said:
Think you guys had better help spread the word around via email to your friends and family. If it's $1 per subscriber, imagine how much it'll add up to. And I know a lot of folks will not pay much attention to the details of the charges on their statements. Here's an example email I sent out, you're welcome to copy and paste it to your emails.

========================

Hi all,

Just a quick note to let everyone know of a mobile phone scam that's been going round lately in Singapore. If you're a M1 or Singtel subscriber, there might have been recent charges to your account which may have been faked.

Subscribers who have received SMS greetings over the recent Chinese New Year period from the short number 77330 will have been charged $1 per greeting. The service is from a company called mTouche ( www.mtouche.com ), and the charge would have been levied even if you've not subscribed to their greeting service. mTouche has been fined by IDA ( www.ida.gov.sg ) in the past for the same offence but they seem to be doing it again.

Do check your recent statements carefully. So far it seems only M1 and Singtel customers are experiencing this problem but subscribers to other networks should review their statements just to make sure.

The best thing you can do if you've received these extra charges is to send a complain to IDA at info@ida.gov.sg . Don't bother calling mTouche as they've disconnected their phone lines as of this morning. The telcos claim they are unable to do anything about charges levied by a third party.

Please spread the word around.
Thanks Terence, quick workaround for me without having to type so much.

Upz! Missed this completely until I read Terence's blog!

This is totally unethical. Even if they had obtained my number when I signed up for some SMS competition or lucky draw, that doesn't mean I agree to receive such charged messages! :angry: I really don't remember subscribing to mTouche, either in big print or fine print!

I've emailed to IDA already.

Ooh, I'm glad the blog was actually of some use then.

Hello, can some of the people affected here highlight how they have invertible signed up for mtouche's service? Thanks for the heads-up, will be checking my bill also to see if I have the same problem.

I have visited thier website and going through it, I have absolutely no idea what business they have by sending those unsolicited SMSes?

lazyleo76 said:
Hello, can some of the people affected here highlight how they have invertible signed up for mtouche's service? Thanks for the heads-up, will be checking my bill also to see if I have the same problem.

I have visited thier website and going through it, I have absolutely no idea what business they have by sending those unsolicited SMSes?

we didn't sign up for their service :rolleyes: not me at least..

lazyleo76 said:

mTouche obtained your handphone number (dont know how?), then use the telco service (M1 and Singtel Mobile) to sms u a New Year Greeting, and your telco service provider proceed to bill u $1 for receiving the sms.

To the treadstarter, everyone else.

Anyone managed to get this mTouche matter resolved with thier respective telcos?

man... gotta check my bills also.. Didnt really take much notices for all these stuff though.. hmmm

One letter is published at the straits times online forum today:

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,371526,00.html?

In full text:

Feb 16, 2006
Extra charge of $1 in SingTel telephone bill
WHEN I received my latest telephone bill from SingTel, I discovered that there was an extra item. Under 'Content and Services', I was charged $1.20 by mTouche for the period Jan 15 to 30. However, I could not remember when I had used this 'service'. I asked about it and was told by the customer service operator of mTouche that they got my number from a contest I had taken part in.

I remember that I took part in a television SMS voting competition, but it was stated clearly on the screen that the charge was 20 cents. The other thing I vaguely remembered was receiving a Chinese New Year SMS greeting on Jan 30.

Does taking part in such a competition allow the company in charge of the billing to send unsolicited SMS to participants? Low Chong Yong David

Canew said:
To the treadstarter, everyone else.

Anyone managed to get this mTouche matter resolved with thier respective telcos?

Just called mTouche and they will waive the charges for you.

It's just how many people will realise of the charges and call them up. How much they get away with every time some company send such an sms.

berryhappy said:
Just called mTouche and they will waive the charges for you.

It's just how many people will realise of the charges and call them up. How much they get away with every time some company send such an sms.

unfortunately, all they need is half the people who they charged the $1 to remain unknowing, they would have earned a bundle. haiz...

i received a call from M1 yesterday evening after filing a complaint on their web. basically, the lady told me they will look into it - ie dun bother them.... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.