Changing lens w/o turning off the cam

check out 47 sec of the vid. ken was using program mode before we caught him and he had to change to look pro:bsmilie:

He looks so cool the way he zoom in and out shooting inside his tent. The beep beep and shutter sound so clear and crisp. Anyway the focus is that he didn't off his cam when he change lens:think:

Btw goat, what is a troll?

Last edited:
He looks so cool the way he zoom in and out shooting inside his tent. The beep beep and shutter sound so clear and crisp. Anyway the focus is that he didn't off his cam when he change lens:think:

Btw goat, what is a troll?

Advertising la. Looks better to have everything on so LCD is not blank mah. Everything must be on, including that annoying focus confirmation "beep".
:bsmilie:

And I love it how he shoots away from the rising sun and beautiful sea of clouds, when shooting a sunrise over such a beautiful scenery.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem when I didn't off the camera when changing lenses. I've never heard of anyone being able to definitively say that not turning off their camera before changing lenses.

Regarding this dust thing, I don't see how the sensor could attract dust when it's behind the shutter, so I don't buy that unsubstantiated rumor. In fact, when I clean my sensor the power is on and I often can simply blow the dust off with a blower; therefore a relatively mild air current overwhelms any electrical field.

I've never had a problem when I didn't off the camera when changing lenses. I've never heard of anyone being able to definitively say that not turning off their camera before changing lenses.

Regarding this dust thing, I don't see how the sensor could attract dust when it's behind the shutter, so I don't buy that unsubstantiated rumor. In fact, when I clean my sensor the power is on and I often can simply blow the dust off with a blower; therefore a relatively mild air current overwhelms any electrical field.

Bro, when you do the mirror up for sensor cleaning, the sensor is turned off la.

You are right about the static thing, after I thought about what you said. Shutter is there, but more importantly, sensor is off until needed (when shutter opens). But in the old days like the S2 pro, the sensor is on all the time. So that thinking kind of stayed in my mind.

The other thing is the contacts to the lens. When the camera is on, those contacts are still live. And since a lof of things in the lens are driven from the camera (esp IS/VR), I think it is a better idea to turn it off.

The other thing is the contacts to the lens. When the camera is on, those contacts are still live. And since a lof of things in the lens are driven from the camera (esp IS/VR), I think it is a better idea to turn it off.

Somehow, I agreed with your this point of view..:)

Somehow, I agreed with your this point of view..:)

Same thinking as well. Lens nowaday are unlike olden days where your lens is mechincal and has a ring for aperture. There are dedicated eletronics in the lens that is used to control the aperture blade from the camera, as well as the motor and IS. Even knowing so, I don't think it is really needed to turn off your camera as there isn't any report of people short their camera or electronic lens by taking off their lens without power off their camera.

Last edited:
It's the same as switching off electrical household (!) appliances before pulling the plug. It is recommended to do so, but if you don't also no harm done. Looking at the lens mount: Power is the last pin that connects and the first one being disconnected. Whatever is active in the lens (IS/VR .. AF motor) is off immediately.
No right or wrong, imho.

Last edited: