Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete

Jan 17, 2005
Hi, i wish to know how to improve my photo and gives extra impact. I did a wireless slighting from her right, using shutter speed of 1/1250, f2.8. I wish to know how to give the photo more impact, in term of its cropping and post processing. I've also wanted to know if i need shift my flash in order to get a better placement of shadow.

Other constructive critiques with regards to the photo are welcome.

Thanks.

3493579567_7717c8260a_o.jpg

Placement of light from the side is a good start, at least better than direct on camera flash. At least we can differentiate her hair from the backgrd, though not very distinct.
However, the subject's pose is not that pleasing, as can be seen, her left arm is in an odd position and also casting a shadow. Legs are also not well placed. Sitting sideway might improve.

Flip thro' some magazine and get some posing ideas done by others, cut those out which you think are nice and keep a filing, bring it along the next shooting for reference.

Suppose you'd done more shot than just this. Cheers.

Last edited:
do you think the pose is flattering for her?

also, even if you think the pose is flattering, what do you think of the shadow cast by her hand landing on her leg? what positive purpose does that serve? :)

At one glance, her thigh is getting more attention than her face.

secondly, the way her left arm dangling, looks very unflattering.

On closer look, her eye expression isn't that good too. Anyway, there are still plenty rooms for improvement.
Technique wise...the light can be tone down say 1/2 a stop or be soften, as now is rather hard. Same angle, but bring it up about 60-70 cm higher than now. If she would turn her face a bit more facing the camera, you moght get that " Rembrant " effect.

Last edited:
i think the positioning of the light is ok but it feels too harsh... also she looks twisted like a pretzel.. try a different pose maybe...

Placement of light from the side is a good start, at least better than direct on camera flash. At least we can differentiate her hair from the backgrd, though not very distinct.

adding a separation light will help to making her stand out from the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.