Canon Lens prices in US v Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonized

Dec 31, 2005
PLANET EARTH
I am hoping someone can accurately explain why consistently the prices for Canon Lenses in US's B&H site to be so much cheaper than the lenses sold here? Even the lenses bought in Japan are cheaper.

Just check out this page for a 50mm f1.4
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=12140&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
After rebate its US$289 - thats S$464 compared to S$600 here!

Why is that? Isn't Singapore suppose to be a shopper's haven for all things esp for electronic goods?

Someone said something about international warranty but even the lenses from TCW who are parallel importers are selling way above B&H. Worse many used lenses are being sold higher here than new at the US sites. What gives?

Sorry, do you mean demand here is enormous driving up prices? But supply of lenses and equipment is not low at all as there are supplies of lenses sitting in the shops everytime I am there. Also - the high prices is across the board and not just some hard to come by lenses.

It seems prices are artificially suspended at a high level for some reason. Some photographers even ridiculously pricing their used lenses at near new prices.

BUT thats not my issue. My issue is why retail prices for lenses are so high and remains high? Monopolistic/anti-competitive practices in action?

Can anyone confirm if the Recommended Retail Prices here in Singapore differs from Europe or US? It seems quite odd that the US would have a higher margin of discounts compared to Singapore.

haagen_dazs said:
demand and supply
supply here is enormous
both in the original and used market.

In my opnion (you might want to research.. who knows)
1)canon loves to give rebates whenever pma or photokina comes around
2)there is alot more demand for lenses in the states. people are just constantly buying. retailers also buy in bulk and i suppose that gives them bulk discount (?)
3)singaporeans KS attitude always keep used prices high. you just have to deal with the asian mentality
4)you will always find singapore prices higher. its unfortunate.

i tend to believe although the price is higher in Singapore, it is fair. There is no monopoly in Singapore when it comes to Lenses. In fact as a retailer friend once confided, competition is stiff in SG. Canon would not realease 1000 lens to Singapore even if you have the money and order that much. There is a quota as how much Singapore as a whole can get.

I went to the site to have a look. But apparently the price is before shipping. Too bad it cost about SGD70 for shipping and that will make the 50mm f1.4 about $600 total. Else it would be a good alternative source for lenses.

If there's abundant supply, wouldn't that drive the prices down based on basic theory of demand and supply?

But, why would it help to know why?

Sorry for the cheek, we're all brothers in suffering. But even if we know "why", the situation doesn't look like it'll change.
Even at a time when the street price of 5D was at a point, 1-1.5k more expensive than the US/HK selling price, fellow Singaporeans would not hesitate to pay the asking price here. So let's speculate on the 'why':

1) Main portion of the consumers don't know that they are paying more than many parts of the world. This portion must be substantial enough
2) When they do know, consumers fear the risk involved in buying parallel imports because of warranty issues. This almost forms the rest of the market segment.
3)Monopolistic/oligopolistic price control has been brought up
4) Singaporeans are not known for lobbying against prices (rather pay than assume risk of lobbying, such as lost of warranty). I don't forsee any form of boycott agains prices in my short lifetime here.

So there ends my meaningless speculate. With full awareness that the future is now - nothing will change in terms of relative pricing of Canon's camera bodies and lenses.

When i started using canon recently (8 - 10 yrs back) prices were much more competitive here compared to anywhere else in the world (except UK)

However, currently, yes.. the prices of both new and used equipment here makes me laugh, particularly for canon... But yeah, as hanafi pointed out, our market is much smaller than the stupid ang moh market, together with a rediculous demand (eg: 5d, 24-105, etc) for "new" toys together with being nice "victims" of canon's marketting, hence the price jump.

Best of all, Canon realizes this, and bumps up their prices here; and i believe, does not offer rebates as often as it does to the US market. (correct me if i'm wrong)

As an avid canon user for work, i HATE this too..... and after being blessed with such nice prices/rebates for both new and used equipment in the states(eg: bought a used may 05 mint 70-200 2.8 IS for 1200$usd) it becomes a pain when i return home to see a whole new "market" for canon equipment, with canon perhaps charging more, and by champions jacking up prices of their used equipment.

but what to do?
as Hagan daaz said:

"Asian mentality."

:dunno:

correct me if i am wrong, i don't think i ever seen canon giving rebates in sg. :dunno:

Canonized said:
I am hoping someone can accurately explain why consistently the prices for Canon Lenses in US's B&H site to be so much cheaper than the lenses sold here? Even the lenses bought in Japan are cheaper.

Just check out this page for a 50mm f1.4
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=12140&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
After rebate its US$289 - thats S$464 compared to S$600 here!

Why is that? Isn't Singapore suppose to be a shopper's haven for all things esp for electronic goods?

Someone said something about international warranty but even the lenses from TCW who are parallel importers are selling way above B&H. Worse many used lenses are being sold higher here than new at the US sites. What gives?

IMO the population in US more compare to SG thats why the demand is more, so they can play with the price, anyway, after you add shipping cost and 5% GST, not much different with Singapore price.

and if you buy at US don't forget abt the Tax as well, i believe is higher than singapore tax.

xl1 said:
IMO the population in US more compare to SG thats why the demand is more, so they can play with the price, anyway, after you add shipping cost and 5% GST, not much different with Singapore price.

and if you buy at US don't forget abt the Tax as well, i believe is higher than singapore tax.

Hence, save up, go there for holiday and BUY BUY BUY!!! (claim your tax back at airport)

and fyi, if you're living/working there, as long as you buy OOS (out of state,) there's no tax charged, with shipping being minimal at around 10 - 20 usd for insured delivery. (eg: size of 300 2.8)

F5user said:
with shipping being minimal at around 10 - 20 usd for insured delivery. (eg: size of 300 2.8)
as echoed by everyone and once again i say.. market is big big big here.
300 2.8 is about 50usd shipping ;)
other lenses are about 10-20usd

no rebates in spore? wow that sucks! rebates come every 4 months here :thumbsup:

If you look at Canon Singapore's pricing strategy, it's always abotu 5-15% higher than the price from the US, after including shipping and handling, and the 5% GST. Just within the tolerance of paying more for a local warranty.

Deadpoet said:
If you look at Canon Singapore's pricing strategy, it's always abotu 5-15% higher than the price from the US, after including shipping and handling, and the 5% GST. Just within the tolerance of paying more for a local warranty.

erm... is the warranty issued by canon singapore international? (or local only)

i got some lenses checked and fixed by Canon singapore the last time i came back, and the lenses were purchased via Sammy's in LA.

So far most posts here have reflected the prices as a result of some level of price control by manufacturer and to an extent the retailers. Not sure if its 100% accurate to attribute market forces outside of Singapore but let say it does.

I say this because the high pricing level here is not just for Canon Lenses but for the third party lens as well. So the explanation of manufacturer's control over supply affecting pricing is not convincing for me.

There are some contradictions in some of the reasons here - too small a market v. too much demand forcing prices up.

Nevertheless, my observation as objective as possible from the posts so far:
  1. for a tourist venue once known for its cheap shopping, this pricing issue is now particularly an embarrassment;
  2. that despite the number of photographers here in Singapore there is no desire or willingness to consolidate their consumer power to influence a proper correction in pricing;
  3. that this is obviously a wonderful opportunity for those who are enterprising enough to carry out market arbitrage - buy cheaply from another market and sell low enough in another market to make a tidy profit. I think there several of these on the Buy & Sell forum. Unfortunately for the forummers here - obviously their pricing is still only very marginally lower than the retail here and higher than overseas (to keep their profit margin high) - and that supply is erratic.
With the new Competition Act (which in most cases are unfamiliar to the public) the Commission is empowered to investigate complaints of artificial price fixing. If only Canon photographers here can pull their voices together to be heard.

[P.S. - Does anyone know how much lenses cost in Japan? I hear they are even cheaper there than the US!]

F5user said:
erm... is the warranty issued by canon singapore international? (or local only)

i got some lenses checked and fixed by Canon singapore the last time i came back, and the lenses were purchased via Sammy's in LA.
I bought a few lenses from the US, and took them into Canon Singapore for cleaning and check up. They were covered under a 6 months international warranty. No such luck for cameras.

I checked with Canon, same applies, lenses has 6 month international warranty, can camera is strictly local warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.