Canon Lens prices in US v Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Japan prices for cameras and lenses are generally the same or higher than Singapore. Only a few selected lenses and accessories are cheaper.

I know because I was there a few months back and scoured almost every shop in Akihabara in Tokyo. ;)

You know why lens prices are more expensive in Singapore? It's because idiots like us buy their lenses even though they charge us exhorbitant prices.

It's all in the supply and demand. It's called price elasticity. We are so such a sorry bunch that even when they keep the prices high, we still continue to buy like idiots. That's why they keep it high.

If we stop buying in Singapore, they will eventually have to lower their prices. Personally, I have bought my DSLR and one zoom in Singapore. After finding out the prices in the US, I felt absolutely cheated. In protest, I have stopped buying canon lenses in Singapore altogether.

Because canon prices are high here, even the used market is expensive. I can buy a lens from the US, use it for a couple of years, and resell it at the original cost. Can you imagine that?

The last lens I bought was from Ebay. Then I use VPostUSA to transport it back.

I want to buy a EF 70-200 f/4L. If prices here were the same as the US, I would have bought it already. Now, I am waiting until my next trip to the US, or when my brother-in-law who studies in the US makes a trip back here.

Say NO to Canon Singapore! :thumbsd:

Yea my friend in the US is problably gonan sell me a 350D for about SG $1.1k (body only) with 2gb SanDisk extreme 3 ! Pretty cheap considering thats inclusive of shipping and insurance and the body is only 2 months old.. only draw back is the lack of warranty.

raptor84 said:
Yea my friend in the US is problably gonan sell me a 350D for about SG $1.1k (body only) with 2gb SanDisk extreme 3 ! Pretty cheap considering thats inclusive of shipping and insurance and the body is only 2 months old.. only draw back is the lack of warranty.

Yes. It's a bit tricky for the body because I heard that Canon Singapore does not honour the international warranty for bodies. They only honour the warranty for lenses for 6 mths.

I just visited CP today and found another reason why prices are so high. It was admitted by one of the sales staff that many of the lenses here are sold to Indonesians and Malaysians who are unable to acquire the lenses in their home town.

So excess demand from all over is one of the major causes why prices here are so very much higher.

I always ask my US friends to help, some time by DELL rebate, if multiple lenses, can save lot.
CP's most canon price 12-20% than US.

Status
Not open for further replies.