Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Anyone noticed some discrepancies in the crop factor for 4k recording? Some websites stated 1.75 but if my calculations are correct, isn't it just 6720/4096 = 1.64. Perhaps they use the usual 3840 in calculating? Now even with 16-35, you get about 26mm when recording 4k? =/

Anyone noticed some discrepancies in the crop factor for 4k recording? Some websites stated 1.75 but if my calculations are correct, isn't it just 6720/4096 = 1.64. Perhaps they use the usual 3840 in calculating? Now even with 16-35, you get about 26mm when recording 4k? =/

Most are calling it 1.64x

I believe so ... but whichever way, there is no way to have those 14-16mm super wide look if you want to shoot 4k. Even the 11m will be 18mm and i think the distortion won't be as pleasing as a real FF 18mm.

This part is really lame. They could just make a 12mp 5D4 'S' to get full no cropping 4k readout because people really WANT an affordable Full Frame 4K camera (which now belongs to a7s2). I guess its not going to come from Canon.

Last edited:
Most are calling it 1.64x

I believe so ... but whichever way, there is no way to have those 14-16mm super wide look if you want to shoot 4k. Even the 11m will be 18mm and i think the distortion won't be as pleasing as a real FF 18mm.

This part is really lame. They could just make a 12mp 5D4 'S' to get full no cropping 4k readout because people really WANT an affordable Full Frame 4K camera (which now belongs to a7s2). I guess its not going to come from Canon.

Haha perhaps they change back already.

From the manual, the bitrate is 500Mbps. Thats 5 times more than A7S II! But I am not familiar if you could compare it like that.

Really interesting to see comparison of their 4k with a7s2 and a6300.

If only they could add another option using output mp4 at 100mbps but full sensor read out, it will really help in some uwa shots.

Just get a cheap 1.6 crop uwa lens for 4k recording if uwa perspective is needes. Perhaps the efs 10-18 stm with the rear baffle trimed down will be the cheap n perfect candidate for such usage

5D m4
Almost have all the feature liao
1.Wifi
2.GPS
3.Touch focus/shoot
4.dual pixel AF
5.weather resistance.
6.dual card slot
7.record 4k video
8.mic , headphone jack

Just get a cheap 1.6 crop uwa lens for 4k recording if uwa perspective is needes. Perhaps the efs 10-18 stm with the rear baffle trimed down will be the cheap n perfect candidate for such usage

How to trim the rear baffle? Will be hard to resell right?

The only EFS lens we can consider is the sigma 18-35 f1.8 that don't need modification.

How to trim the rear baffle? Will be hard to resell right?

The only EFS lens we can consider is the sigma 18-35 f1.8 that don't need modification.

the 18-35 is not very wide considering the 1.6 crop. hence the 10-18 works better if u want the UWA perspective.

it's just a 300 dollar lens, just mode it and use it as is hehe....

Since M4 body similar to that of M3 with additional few buttons..I'm guessing M3 battery grip can be used on the M4..it uses the same battery also..save abit of money for me should I get the M4..:D

Since M4 body similar to that of M3 with additional few buttons..I'm guessing M3 battery grip can be used on the M4..it uses the same battery also..save abit of money for me should I get the M4..:D

ha... but they are releasing a new BG... maybe there will be minute differences at the base of the body.... i am just thankful they stuck to the LP-E6/N batteries.

After almost 8 years with my 5DmkII, perhaps its time for an update for me too... :p

I've been quite out of touch on photography for some time and the last I've heard was 5Ds R. But I heard this MK IV and the 5Ds R is in a different league as the MK IV is to succeed the MK III.

That being said, I'm still using the camera where all the 5D family started...yes, the 5D. Still going strong but for how long more, I don't know as my friend working in CSC said no more parts for it. I don't really have plans for upgrading as family comes first so money wise, it's not looking too good for a new DSLR. Till the day comes when my 5D dies, then might just get a new system but definitely not the latest 5D series.

So much has changed for Canon since I last stepped in and they also got the new 24-105 f/4L II and 16-35 f/2.8L III. All these are going to cost an arm and a leg. :cool:

Good news to those who wanted to get the M3 as more users will dump it to upgrade to M4.

Every time new product launch u would say such thing and I remember vividly that u said 1Dx will drop to below $3k after the launch of 1Dx2.
But I see all your items that you are selling here are so sky high. U are a very contradicting person doing things differently from what u said, very likely trying to stir the market prices.

Every time new product launch u would say such thing and I remember vividly that u said 1Dx will drop to below $3k after the launch of 1Dx2.
But I see all your items that you are selling here are so sky high. U are a very contradicting person doing things differently from what u said, very likely trying to stir the market prices.

LOL. I dont know how true it is wrt him tryin to stir the market prices but let's not dwell on such things! Enjoy the camera whenever it comes out.

I agree ... lol ... His prices are like 10-20% difference from RRP and almost no nego ...

I remember asking for a 77mm filter that cost $75-80 and he insist on $60 when its used > a year. Save $15 honestly might as well buy from retail brand new cause still need to go to him at his convenience.

From the manual, the bitrate is 500Mbps. Thats 5 times more than A7S II! But I am not familiar if you could compare it like that.

Approx 3.5GB/min of 4K. A 128GB card estimated for approx 34mins

i6aZLLE.png

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300024970/01/eos5d-mk4-im-en.pdf

did I miss out something,

I am unable to find silent shooting function mode on 5D4. (single/multiple)

did I miss out something,

I am unable to find silent shooting function mode on 5D4. (single/multiple)

Click the link to manual above, see page 161

Looks promising for high iso comparison with its peers. dpreview has come out with their studio shot comparison here