Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Ah Keong

Dec 3, 2014
South
saw this in Japan.

http://cweb.canon.jp/eos/info/fivegraphy/sp-seminar/index.html

In Japan – Canon officially organizing a 5D event on “FIVE GRAPHY” in japan starting from Aug 27, 2016. We have got multiple rumors in past all pointing towards the world-wide announcement of Canon 5D Mark IV camera on last week of August, Just few days before the Photokina event. The “FIVE GRAPHY” event will run through Aug 27, to Sep 11, 2016 and its a best place to showcase the power and popularity of 5D series followed by 5D Mk IV announcement.

Looking forward! :)

The Canon 5D Mark IV should be a huge seller for Canon especially if sensor specs meet or exceed the recent 80D and 1DXII.

Canon Rumours has been salivating at the prospect of a 5DIV launch for the past couple of years.

They claim that the North American launch date is scheduled for August 25th but no information has been speculated for other parts of the world. I would imagine that it would be the same. Regardless, social media will provide a level playing field.

We'll find out what the true specs are in about 3 weeks. I'm looking forward to it.

After almost 8 years with my 5DmkII, perhaps its time for an update for me too... :p

Hope Canon comes out with something revolutionary!

Hope Canon comes out with something revolutionary!

Knowing them, they won't kill off their 1DX2 so high chance it will be 22-28mp, 4K video, 100fps (@ 1080p), 7 fps, wifi transfer, 1DX2 AutoFocus system, GPS & the highly awaited Digic7 processor.

It WILL be revolutionary if they can finally get real usable 14 stop dynamic range. Even the 5D3 12 stops is not real world as most ppl can only use up to 11 stops.

I'll be happy if they just gave me better DR via a new processor cause Mark 3 is seriously a superb workhorse.

Knowing them, they won't kill off their 1DX2 so high chance it will be 22-28mp, 4K video, 100fps (@ 1080p), 7 fps, wifi transfer, 1DX2 AutoFocus system, GPS & the highly awaited Digic7 processor.

It WILL be revolutionary if they can finally get real usable 14 stop dynamic range. Even the 5D3 12 stops is not real world as most ppl can only use up to 11 stops.

I'll be happy if they just gave me better DR via a new processor cause Mark 3 is seriously a superb workhorse.

I agree... I own the Canon 5D Mark III and it is truly a great camera.

The Mark IV has a lot to live up to but Canon always manages to squeeze in more useful improvements with every new upgrade.

Over-all, in my opinion, the 5D has been a spectacular series right from the start with the 5D Classic and all of its descendants.

Unless this 5D have an (much) improved dynamic range sensor, I doubt things will change much, other than the additional megapixels (which to some people is useless).

Need to wait and see but will still be sticking to my 5D3 just love this 'workhorse'

I don't think that 5D mark 4 is going to be a real excitement or revolutionary.

Here is the latest spec list from Canon Rumours. Note that they have NOT given it a 'CR3'.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Specifications:

• 30mp
  • Compact Flash/SD Card Slots (No CFast)
  • 24/30fps @ 4K
  • 60fps @ 1080
  • 120fps @ 720
  • USB 3
  • Cable release port moved to the front of the camera where the “Mark XX” badge was.
  • A lot more touchscreen functionality than the EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Other ergonomic changes, such as a new “locking switch” on the rear of the camera.

Read more: http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-specifications-and-image/#ixzz4GwN1TVyv

Mark 4 looks primed to be a big disappointment. 1DX2 is being outclassed by the D5, losing in the key areas of AF and High ISO performance. So judging by that, 5D4 will only be a marginal improvement over the 5D3, with the only real improvement (for stills) being dynamic range at lower ISO, anti flickering, slightly higher fps burst, as well as the center point rated up to -3ev. Stuff like Wifi, GPS, Touchscreen does not affect the quality of the photos in everyway... and people who shoot for billboards will stick with their 5DSR anyway so higher MP is useless.

Videographers will probably love 5D4's live view focusing and 4k, but then again these doesn't affect stills photographers.

I guess Canon didn't expect Nikon to make such an enormous leap between D4s and D5, which probably caught them by surprise. They probably thought that the 1DX is gonna sit on the throne for a while hence was only working on features and marginal upgrades. So all things considered, 5D5 and 1DX3 should be one hell of a revolutionary camera :)

Mark 4 looks primed to be a big disappointment. 1DX2 is being outclassed by the D5, losing in the key areas of AF and High ISO performance. So judging by that, 5D4 will only be a marginal improvement over the 5D3, with the only real improvement (for stills) being dynamic range at lower ISO, anti flickering, slightly higher fps burst, as well as the center point rated up to -3ev. Stuff like Wifi, GPS, Touchscreen does not affect the quality of the photos in everyway... and people who shoot for billboards will stick with their 5DSR anyway so higher MP is useless.

Videographers will probably love 5D4's live view focusing and 4k, but then again these doesn't affect stills photographers.

I guess Canon didn't expect Nikon to make such an enormous leap between D4s and D5, which probably caught them by surprise. They probably thought that the 1DX is gonna sit on the throne for a while hence was only working on features and marginal upgrades. So all things considered, 5D5 and 1DX3 should be one hell of a revolutionary camera :)

For me if the 5D4 has the improved low ISO DR, I would get it already :)

although i am using Sony now, still waiting for a good canon body to use my EF mount lenses again.

For me if the 5D4 has the improved low ISO DR, I would get it already :)

although i am using Sony now, still waiting for a good canon body to use my EF mount lenses again.

Me too ... As long as have roughly 2 stops DR improvement and cleaner images by 2 stops ISO (like the new 6400iso looks as clean as the current 1600iso), i would get it on launch.

It might not be groundbreaking but i need to for work. Not to make sure i have the latest tech. But the moment it has quality issues, i would shift straight away. You should know it generally takes 2-3 times longer to repair a a7SII than a 5D3 cause their pro body repair department is not up to scratch yet.

Alot of commercial photographers holding medium format cameras have 5D3 as the backup camera as its known to work anytime any place in all scenarios. That's key for us.

Last edited:
love that the look and design of the camera is maintained. I dont really like how the 1DX2 has that extra hump on top.

canon-5d-mark-iv-1.jpg

5D4_09.jpg

5D4_11.jpg

Body design is rock solid. Nothing to change there.

Some ppl wanted flip screen but i can really live with it. 4K, 120fps, wifi & gps as expected.

From the cameras they launch one year prior to this, can see the DR improvement in all of them.

So i'm eagerly hoping for a 14 stop DR and clean useable ISO to 12800. One more week to launch. Pre Order time!

Looking at the pictures, I'm now curious on how they will implement the wired remote port.... the current mk3 port feels abit loose no matter how many wired remotes I changed.

30 mp is a good move, an improvement in resolution while still keeping an eye on higher ISO performance.
And like what many has voiced out, DR DR DR will canon come thru with it
Tilt and swivel screen is what I like, but then I can't afford to get the mk4 sigh....