Canon EOS 350D or Nikon D70s

Status
Not open for further replies.
for Rich PPL >>>>

Best Lens .. is your Eyes ....

so logical, i could cry. long live high prices!
photography said:
I would choose canon. I heard on fedmiranda.com or somewhere than most people who use canon won't change system. Furthermore the best optics and the most expensive optics rules. I remembered i saw some where on a Korean website that the world's most expensive lens is the EF 1200mm F5.6L

photography said:
I would choose canon. I heard on fedmiranda.com or somewhere than most people who use canon won't change system. Furthermore the best optics and the most expensive optics rules. I remembered i saw some where on a Korean website that the world's most expensive lens is the EF 1200mm F5.6L
Wahahaha... that's what I called read what you want, know what you want, and don't bother about other stuff :thumbsup:

JediForce4ever said:
yeah:thumbsup: superfast AF too..wish a camera could have that:thumbsup:

Ya ... somemore wet lens .. 0.5F with IS and DO ... ... from No Light to sunny day ,,, Awb Also super good ..

:p

edward1 said:
the key to picture quality in DSLR is in the sensor, it's like film in analog SLR. Canon 350D is like having Fuji film while D70 is using brand 'X' film. If the film sucks, how can picture come out good? :confused:
:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

But I tot Nikon also have multiple AF points, multi-segment metering & most of those CFs mah.. so why is Canon "guilty" of incorporating these but not Nikon leh? :dunno:

Tetrode said:
Pick up almost any camera body designed before 1985 and you will know what I mean. You don't need to even read through the manual to know how to use the camera.

One really doesn't need a lot of the functions (included in the camera bodies nowadays) to take good photos - e.g. a gazillion AF points, Multi-segment metering, CFs. Heck, there are still a lot of people using their manual focus camera bodies and producing good work (not forgetting all the people/artists who used cameras before these electronic wonders came out). You don't need the likes of a Canon 1Ds mk II (or whereever is the latest and greatest at the moment) to do that.

As a matter of fact, the more complex the camera is, the more that gets in the way of real photography. I'd bet that half of the functions and thingamebobs that are on cameras nowadays are hardly ever used.

edward1 said:
the key to picture quality in DSLR is in the sensor, it's like film in analog SLR. Canon 350D is like having Fuji film while D70 is using brand 'X' film. If the film sucks, how can picture come out good? :confused:

then pray tell y does Fuji have the S-series DSLR if Canon is like Fuji film?

then wat film would Fuji DSLR be using if Canon is using Fuji film.
Pls advice

edward1 said:

i like your analogy. so what's olympus? afga? :bsmilie:

Klose said:
i like your analogy. so what's olympus? afga? :bsmilie:

;p hey don't "insult" agfa k~ Agfa's iso100 films are quite good! especially their black & white negative, the contrast is very good!:thumbsup:

but.. i still prefer 'brand x'~ it feels so mystious lol

I am seriously mystified here. When people say they prefer Canon`s colors to Nikon`s, do they mean the pics straight out from the camera or the processed pics? I wouldnt know about the WB, I seen pics taken with bad AWB performance by both.

See this sample shot from Dpreview taken from a D70 "http://img2.dpreview.com/gallery/nikond70_samples/originals/dsc_0153.jpg"

Take a look at the windows in the subject and you'll understand why so many people are faithful to Canon's colour.

The same subject taken from a canon can be sampled from DPreview to. "http://img2.dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos350d_samples1/originals/img_3961.jpg"

AhSeng said:
See this sample shot from Dpreview taken from a D70 "http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/nikond70_samples/originals/dsc_0153.jpg"

Take a look at the windows in the subject and you'll understand why so many people are faithful to Canon's colour.

The same subject taken from a canon can be sampled from DPreview to. "http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos350d_samples1/originals/img_3961.jpg"

:bsmilie: 2nd post!:bsmilie:

do not start a flame war!

Kongo said:
But I tot Nikon also have multiple AF points, multi-segment metering & most of those CFs mah.. so why is Canon "guilty" of incorporating these but not Nikon leh? :dunno:

Sorry but where did I say only Canon is guilty?

Hey.....just bought the Canon 350D leh..it is light. I am still exploring the functions.

Shappy.

OIC, u mean both r guilty izzit?

Anyway, I think although some can live without these functions, but they do serve good purposes to many others.

For example, for pple used to autofocusing and reluctant to do manual focusing (like me, hehee..), multiple AF points is useful especially when shooting at large aperture with limited DOF. The "use center focusing point, shift and re-focus technique" is not reliable under such circumstances as it will result in OOF quite often.

Among custom functions, there r features like selection of flash syn mode, mirror lockup & AE/AF lock selection etc which I did use at time, think it's not that "needless" lah.

I agree that a camera without these features can take good pics as well, but I think it's like saying that since a piston can kill there's no point to buy auto machine gun or granades. There are events and situations where technology will helps..

Dunno why Canon vs Nikon postings always end up in heated debates & quarrel hor, I think both r good mah..

Tetrode said:
Sorry but where did I say only Canon is guilty?

Like I said, this debate has been going on everywhere and it ain't going to go anywhere. Everyone has preferences. To each it's own. Beauty is in the eye... (said many times)

The only difference between dslr/slr and other hobbies (like hi-fi) is that once you start on a particular system, it's usually very costly to move/change to another unless there's a huge leap in technology to warrant it.

Happy 2006 ahead!

TMC said:
I am seriously mystified here. When people say they prefer Canon`s colors to Nikon`s, do they mean the pics straight out from the camera or the processed pics? I wouldnt know about the WB, I seen pics taken with bad AWB performance by both.
yes i do mean jpegs straight out of the cam. I feel they require less post processing than Nikon.
I have also encountered AWB problems with the Canon 350D/20D but it happens far less in often than the D70.

AhSeng has given a very good comparison. Although the scenery given is slightly different i feel the picture from the 350D seems to be more contrasty and vivid right out of the camera, unless Phil Askey manipulated the pics... or maybe the location where the picture from the D70 was shot created that 'washed out' low contrast look (from direction of sun? different metering?) :dunno:

Of course if given the 2 pics, without any info, I would never know what brands they come from. but the workflow in post processing is simplified for the 350D, I've got basically nothing to do on this particular pic but on the D70 pic, I probably would have to adjust levels and curves on the mids of the green and probably blue to enhance the colours. Which wun take more than 2 minutes to do anyway..

Another way to view this issue is "get a fuji S2/S3 and you probably wun need post processing.."

Kongo said:
OIC, u mean both r guilty izzit?

Anyway, I think although some can live without these functions, but they do serve good purposes to many others.

For example, for pple used to autofocusing and reluctant to do manual focusing (like me, hehee..), multiple AF points is useful especially when shooting at large aperture with limited DOF. The "use center focusing point, shift and re-focus technique" is not reliable under such circumstances as it will result in OOF quite often.

Among custom functions, there r features like selection of flash syn mode, mirror lockup & AE/AF lock selection etc which I did use at time, think it's not that "needless" lah.

I agree that a camera without these features can take good pics as well, but I think it's like saying that since a piston can kill there's no point to buy auto machine gun or granades. There are events and situations where technology will helps..

Dunno why Canon vs Nikon postings always end up in heated debates & quarrel hor, I think both r good mah..

WRT To Canon vs Nikon postings...

If you took the time to read my initial post in this thread; you would have noticed that I said that between the 350D and D70s only, I felt the D70s was the better camera - which is answering the threadstarter's question. I also did qualify my statements with IMO.
BTW, I didn't start the Nikon vs Canon debate; it was started by someone else.

IMO, (as you have every right to disagree, I have every right to express my opinion) I believe the 350D's UI sucks and the D70s UI is waaaay better. I don't care what brand of camera the 350D is, it can be a Leica for all I care; IMO, the UI sucks, it sucks, period. If you like it, hey, good for you.

We all have differing opinions, and I'm just expressing mine. So chill alright?

edward1 said:

Give a dumb driver a Ferrari, he/she can't even out run my BMX. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.