Canon EOS 350D or Nikon D70s

Status
Not open for further replies.
flying said:
i use a D70S but i tested the 350D.

at similar settings, the 350D produced more brillant colours. The colors on 350D are richer IMO.

btw, i do not believe in re-processing images with PS. I like it stock. So at stock, my opinion is the 350D produces better colors.

but i bought the d70S becos of its more solid feel.

I find the colours of D70 more rich and brilliant. It's how you tweak the settings of the camera.

Never regretted the D70.

travelocity said:
I find the colours of D70 more rich and brilliant. It's how you tweak the settings of the camera.

Never regretted the D70.

yea agreeable. :think:
350D also can tweak the colours but overall specs i still think D70s is better:thumbsup:

i've tried both - my friend's d70s and my own 350d.

d70s gives u more analog-digital feel and 350d is more digital-analog feel. both are equally good. just that the kit lens for d70s is better than 350s in terms of build and can zoom further.

flying said:
i use a D70S but i tested the 350D.

at similar settings, the 350D produced more brillant colours. The colors on 350D are richer IMO.

btw, i do not believe in re-processing images with PS. I like it stock. So at stock, my opinion is the 350D produces better colors.

but i bought the d70S becos of its more solid feel.
I tend to notice that in Canon, the highlights are usually blown (overexposed/clipped).

edward1 said:
the key to picture quality in DSLR is in the sensor, it's like film in analog SLR. Canon 350D is like having Fuji film while D70 is using brand 'X' film. If the film sucks, how can picture come out good? :confused:
Great analogy. Brand-X is it! I can change 'film' as I like by loading tone curves into D70. :)

Still, I'd have to say that both are great cameras for their price. It's hard to go wring with either of them.

AhSeng said:
See this sample shot from Dpreview taken from a D70: http://img2.dpreview.com/gallery/nikond70_samples/originals/dsc_0153.jpg

Take a look at the windows in the subject and you'll understand why so many people are faithful to Canon's colour.

The same subject taken from a canon can be sampled from DPreview to. http://img2.dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos350d_samples1/originals/img_3961.jpg
I don't see anything wrong in the colours of the windows in both pictures. :think:

Anyway, they are taken from different perspectives ... How to compare? :dunno:

wiz23 said:
I don't see anything wrong in the colours of the windows in both pictures. :think:

Anyway, they are taken from different perspectives ... How to compare? :dunno:

Please download the pictures and do a zoom in on the windows.

Go to http://photoworkshop.com/canon/CMOS/imagecapture-e/visual_noise.html. Look under Description of false colour.

See the similiarities? :think: Maybe that's just personal preferences, but i prefer canon's cmos.

AhSeng said:
Please download the pictures and do a zoom in on the windows.

Go to http://photoworkshop.com/canon/CMOS/imagecapture-e/visual_noise.html. Look under Description of false colour.

See the similiarities? :think: Maybe that's just personal preferences, but i prefer canon's cmos.
Sounds very cheem ;p

Anyway, i'm not so particular ... to me, both Canon and Nikon works, and that's good enough. If you need to zoom in so much to see the difference, then I think I'm not Pro enough to see the difference :)

Thanks for the explanation anyway ...

i uses canon system at work & nikon system for personal.. both system works well.. it's only a matter if u can bring out the best from the equipment u r holding on to... :thumbsup:

dont let all the brooding to compare which system is better over run u... coz ur main goal is to take good photo.. not have the best equipment.. coz there's never a best.. and best just get out dated sooner or later... ;)

zhang3feng said:
i uses canon system at work & nikon system for personal.. both system works well.. it's only a matter if u can bring out the best from the equipment u r holding on to... :thumbsup:

dont let all the brooding to compare which system is better over run u... coz ur main goal is to take good photo.. not have the best equipment.. coz there's never a best.. and best just get out dated sooner or later... ;)
Wow, I agree. Pro comment! :thumbsup:

350D should be cheaper.. About $1600+, probably is S$1650..

kcuf2 said:
i was quoted $1770 for d70s at ms color ydae and abt $1850 for 350d(if i remember correctly) at ms color a week ago

Isn't the D200 a closer match to the 20D? I thought the 350D equivalent would be more like D50 or D70..

zhang3feng said:
fyi the price of 350D dropped alot after D200 came out..

jeryltan said:
Isn't the D200 a closer match to the 20D? I thought the 350D equivalent would be more like D50 or D70..
i think it's a chain effect?a week after i brought my D70s @ 1770.. now the price drop to 1650+...

Hi mazeppa26,

I have not followed the entire thread. As such I cant comment on what has already been said.

My view though goes like this.

If you have either a Canon or Nikon film SLR and have invested much in lens for that camera,
I would say,"buy the same brand".

If you are starting off from the beginning, I would say," have a feel of the Canon, Nikon and Olympus" in your hands.

Then do what you think feels good for you.

They all have good specs. Where one is a little better in one way, the other is better in another.

Don't get too involved in specs ! .... they are all good in the right hands.

Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.