Canon CCD problem announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently my S1 got this problem. When i on the camera, the viewfinder display was distorted in purple color. But sometimes, it will be working fine. Saw this post, but my camera is not in the offical affected list of camera.

Do not know if canon will repair it free.

Another thing, using sanyo batteries and when taking photo it can get very hot. The camera alway display high temperature warning. Anyone have this problem?

This is one of the distorted photo
abstract.JPG

I had my S1 repaired.

My A60 also died. Black image on the lcd screen, photo taken also totally black. CCD replaced FOC.

But for the S1, the technican repaired the optical unit for the distorted photo problem? :think:

The repair not free as i need to show warranty card. I think only those cameras in the official list of affected ccd will repair FOC.

recently had my old ixus 500 sent for repair due to the camera/ playback selector switch not so responsive. canon tech told me is due to the battery compartment fault,:think: make no sense to me i go ahead with the repair any way since they quote < 50.
when i got the cam back ,they state on the request form that they changed not only the battery unit but also the optical unit (foc for optical unit) without first getting my consent. upon further query they said that my model have the recurring ccd problem and the whole optical unit(lens plus ccd sensor) will be changed foc whenever this model is send in for repairing.

my question is whether anyone who have send the ccd for foc replacement have experience any degradation in image quality after the repair.will canon change back the old original lens that ixus 500 is using 2 yrs back or the new Ultra-High Refractive Index
Aspherical (UA) lens technology ? different lens will yield different result right ?:think:

limchyehuat said:
recently had my old ixus 500 sent for repair due to the camera/ playback selector switch not so responsive. canon tech told me is due to the battery compartment fault,:think: make no sense to me i go ahead with the repair any way since they quote < 50.
when i got the cam back ,they state on the request form that they changed not only the battery unit but also the optical unit (foc for optical unit) without first getting my consent. upon further query they said that my model have the recurring ccd problem and the whole optical unit(lens plus ccd sensor) will be changed foc whenever this model is send in for repairing.

my question is whether anyone who have send the ccd for foc replacement have experience any degradation in image quality after the repair.will canon change back the old original lens that ixus 500 is using 2 yrs back or the new Ultra-High Refractive Index
Aspherical (UA) lens technology ? different lens will yield different result right ?:think:

Most who sent their cams in for this problem got a new Ixus-I zoom as a replacement as the parts for the CCD can no longer be found. :dunno: ... seems weird in your case that they still have parts....

di0nysus said:
My A80

Any idea if this is under the fauty CCD thingy? I don't see A80 in the list.

thanks

Sat, I was at butterfly park @ Sentosa when a Jap tourist approached and asked me what's wrong wif his canon cam... yeah I know it's the same CCD problem... but how the hell am I gonna tell them in Jap. :confused:

Anyway, for your case... jus mention that your cam shows same symptoms as those on the list... something wrong wif the Sony's CCD inside. ;)

dEthANGeL said:
Most who sent their cams in for this problem got a new Ixus-I zoom as a replacement as the parts for the CCD can no longer be found. :dunno: ... seems weird in your case that they still have parts....

guy from canon said the optical unit changed is from japan and is new. will canon change in the newer ultra refractive aspherical (UA) lens used in the newer ixus series (eg ixus 55 , 750,etc) or the old type original lens used in the ixus 500 2 yrs back ? any
one care to comment?

fews guys from photovideoi.com having ixus 400 and 500 also face the ccd problem, they all said that canon changed the optical unit for them foc instead of offering them a new ixus i .

maybe clubsnap member got special treatment ?:think:

limchyehuat said:
fews guys from photovideoi.com having ixus 400 and 500 also face the ccd problem, they all said that canon changed the optical unit for them foc instead of offering them a new ixus i .

maybe clubsnap member got special treatment ?:think:

Don't think so - its more like a "kua heng suay" .. but personally... the Ixus I isn't worth it and I still feel the old camera has a better build.

any user who have their ccd changed face any improvement or degradation of image quality ?

think the ixus izoom replacement is onli given when they run out of parts....tink they have the parts nw so no replacement ba...

anyway my A95 give me blank screen while I was overseas holidaying~!...sad......hope the changed CCD or optical unit dun gif me any prob

Hi, i also have a canon ixus IIs, will it be possible for them to change a new one for me as well? it's up til now then i encountered problems with my camera and i've bought a new canon ixus 65 just because i thought it's my own fault. (i only knew about this announcement recently)

I have similar problems with my a85 too. looks Exactly like the ones you all have posted. :confused:

daberyew said:
Hi, i also have a canon ixus IIs, will it be possible for them to change a new one for me as well? it's up til now then i encountered problems with my camera and i've bought a new canon ixus 65 just because i thought it's my own fault. (i only knew about this announcement recently)

same here.. my ixus IIs ever since got a bit of rain and it went corroded on e outside and e images taken are distorted since then. its been der for a year, dint bother to bring to repair... :cool: recently emailed Canon they told me to go down for a thorough check before telling me e repair preocedurs.. tink wont be free cuz they will say is "misused"

Dun worry! Just send your digital camera to the service centre.
They will fix the CCD for you free. I just brought my A80 there.
Distorted purplish screen on LCD. :(

rabbit10 said:
Dun worry! Just send your digital camera to the service centre.
They will fix the CCD for you free. I just brought my A80 there.
Distorted purplish screen on LCD. :(

same here, they repair for free

same here, they repair for free

but mine is out of warranty and serious corrosion on the body due to exposure to rain 1yr ago... they will say :nono: :sweat:

Today I collected my A75 from Canon. They have changed the sensor.
Now it seems I can enjoy again my dc.

Even I was disappointed for the issue on the sensor, I have to admit that Canon seriously moved in a professional way. Repair FOC even after warranty period.
This is what we would like to see as customer/user.

Thanks to Canon!

Cheers:)

Today I collected my A75 from Canon. They have changed the sensor.
Now it seems I can enjoy again my dc.

Even I was disappointed for the issue on the sensor, I have to admit that Canon seriously moved in a professional way. Repair FOC even after warranty period.
This is what we would like to see as customer/user.

Thanks to Canon!

Cheers:)

Same here, CCD repair/replaced free! :thumbsup: even after warranty.

hi, hi,

finally chanced upon this thread after so much searching & surfing to find out what's wrong with my Canon Ixy (Canon Ixus 500 but bought in Japan).

my canon came down with the same problem (pictures all turn pinkish) since August 2006. however, being a camera idiot, we don't know what was wrong. and hubby insisted that it's not worth to change the chip as it will cost a few hundred bucks!! end up we just bought a Nikon S7 at the recent IT fair. :(

anway, straight to the point. anyone sent their camera in for repair due to the CCD recently? are you charged repair fee or they change the CCD FOC? i'll be glad enough if they fix the problem FOC, since we bought the camera in Japan, and not locally.

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.