Canon CCD problem announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMT8

Oct 5, 2005
Image Phenomena Due to CCD Malfunction

Thank you for using Canon products.

A problem has been discovered in some of the CCDs used in Canon digital camera and digital video camera products that causes images to appear distorted or not to appear at all. We apologize for the considerable inconvenience this represents for our customers. Along with our respectful apology, we would like to advise our customers of the details of this issue and our policy for handling it, which are as follows.

Affected Models

The CCDs in question are used in the following six digital video camera models (8 in the U.S. market, 14 in Europe, and 9 in Asia/Oceania) and eight digital camera models.

Japanese Market

•
Digital Video Cameras
FV40, FV50, FV300, FV400, IXY DV3, IXY DV5
•
Digital Cameras
PowerShot A60, PowerShot A70, PowerShot A75, PowerShot A300, PowerShot A310, IXY DIGITAL 320, IXY DIGITAL 30, IXY DIGITAL 30a

U.S. Market

•
Digital Video Cameras
ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, Elura 40 MC, Elura 50
•
Digital Cameras
PowerShot A60, PowerShot A70, PowerShot A75, PowerShot A300, PowerShot A310, PowerShot S230 Digital ELPH, PowerShot SD100 Digital ELPH, PowerShot SD110 Digital ELPH

European Market

•
Digital Video Cameras
MV590, MV600, MV600i, MV630i, MV650i, MV690, MV700i, MV730i, MV750i, MV5, MV5i, MV5i MC, MV6i MC
•
Digital Cameras
PowerShot A60, PowerShot A70, PowerShot A75, PowerShot A300, PowerShot A310, Digital IXUS V3, Digital IXUS II, Digital IXUS IIs

Asian/Oceanian Market

•
Digital Video Cameras
MV600i, MV630i, MV650i, MV700i, MV730i, MV750i, MV5i, MV5i MC, MV6i MC
•
Digital Cameras
PowerShot A60, PowerShot A70, PowerShot A75, PowerShot A300, PowerShot A310, Digital IXUS V3, Digital IXUS II, Digital IXUS IIs

The Malfunction
Among the CCDs used in the affected products listed above, it has been confirmed that, especially under high-temperature/high-humidity environments, the internal wiring may come undone in some places.

If this defect occurs, the signal is not output from the CCD correctly when in shooting mode, which results in symptoms like the following in captured images. These symptoms can be confirmed on the LCD monitor. The same symptoms may also occur in recorded images.

•
Images do not appear
•
Images appear distorted

Canon’s Response
With apologies for the inconvenience involved, we ask that users who have confirmed these symptoms contact the nearest Canon Service Center. Free repairs will be made for affected products in cases where it has been confirmed that the internal CCD wiring has come undone in some places.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by this issue. We strive to make even greater efforts in our quality control to provide products that our customers can use with confidence. We hope that these efforts will earn your continued patronage.

List of Canon Service Centres

Singapore
Canon Singapore Pte Ltd
Customer Service and Repair Centre
1 HarbourFront Ave
#04-01 Keppel Bay Tower
Singapore 098632
Operating hours:
Mondays to Fridays, 8.30 am to 5.30pm
Open till 7 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays

Special Hotline Number for CCD Issue: 6838 9076

Malaysia
CANON MARKETING (M) SDN BHD
CORPORATE HEAD OFFICE, SHOWROOM & SERVICE CENTRE
Block D, Peremba Square, Saujana Resort, Section U2,
40150 Shah Alam, Selangor.
Tel: 603-78446000, 603-78450055
Fax: 603-78450505

CUSTOMER CARELINE (KLANG VALLEY ONLY)
Tel: 603-78448333
Fax: 603-78448222

Thailand
Canon Marketing (Thailand) Co.,Ltd
179/39-45 Bangkok City Tower,
South Sathorn Road, Thungmahamek,
Sathorn, Bangkok 10120

Service Hotline for Canon digital camera and digital video camera customers.
Please call 02 344 9999 ext 451-454,
Operation hours are monday - friday from 8.15hrs - 17.15hrs

Philippines
Canon Marketing (Philippines), Inc
2153 Marvin Plaza Bldg. Chino Roces Ave.,
Makati City
Main Line: (+632) 812-6047
Customer Service / Repair: local 160 & 161 or telefax: (+632) 812-0065

India
Canon India Pvt. Ltd.
Corporate Office
2nd Floor, Tower A & B,
Cyber Greens, DLF Phase III,
Gurgaon - 122002
Call Centre: 39010101 / 1600-345-33-66

seems like its a problem with the Sony CCD used by the camera.... Sony and Fujifilm has also made the same announcement with the same problems.

u mean they will now repair the product for free? what about all those who had paid $140 to repair?

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
u mean they will now repair the product for free? what about all those who had paid $140 to repair?

that I am not sure.... have to call and ask....

where did you get the source from??

guess i can still have a backup now...

vil said:
where did you get the source from??

guess i can still have a backup now...

go to canon.com.sg, then select the "support and download" on the top.

after that, a new window pops up, and you click on the "digital camera" icon.

then on the right, you will see "notices". Click on CCD information or something... cannot remember...

the stupid site cannot let me copy the url, so I LL...

okay noted. Fortunately my A95, aunt's IXUS 400 & uncle's S1 IS not included in the list.

Curious here, will the people who opted for an upgrade to A95 or paid $100+ for servicing will get a refund?

rinaldi86 said:
okay noted. Fortunately my A95, aunt's IXUS 400 & uncle's S1 IS not included in the list.

Curious here, will the people who opted for an upgrade to A95 or paid $100+ for servicing will get a refund?
Get A95 better, no more flickering problem too..

rinaldi86 said:

Don't think so. If they wanted a refund, they would have to return the A95...

Lucky my camera is included in the list :sweatsm: Can revive it for free :sweat:

+evenstar said:
Don't think so. If they wanted a refund, they would have to return the A95...
Like that ah?

Because from my POV, a consumer paid $100+ to upgrade or replace the components for their affected camera. But now there's an announcement saying that they can get it replaced for free. This would be unfair to those who have paid earlier on. Therefore, refunds would be a good to have thing for those who have paid $100+ for replacement of deffective components. As for those who paid the same amount to upgrade to A95, well I don't think there'll be eligible too, because that sum of money is to upgrade to something which wort $500+ from shops.

Finally, something done to restore faith and trust (too late for some it seems).
Wonder if they give us and option of free repair or top-up to get A95?
I prefer the latter as do not know what else in the A70 will konk out.

The malfunction occur under high temperature and high humidity.
If not they had to recall all the product that are affected by it.

Oh great mine is in the list as well. Heehee ! No need to buy new camera, almost did it. :bsmilie: :sweat:

Singapore's temperature fits the description of "High temperature & High humidity"

@ yinghaw - your cam has died?

I've just called Canon in Malaysia. You can also send it to Canon Lifestyle Concept Store
L329, Level 3, Suria KLCC, Kuala Lumpur.

If you are in KL. ;)

Juz wondering why canon have not update the notice on sg website. :dunno:

@ yinghaw - your cam has died?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, died about 1 month ago. On a diving trip to Tioman. Managed to take only 17 pictures, very disappointing. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.