Canon 7D or 5D Classic for your Taste?

A 7D or 5D Classic? ISO Performance?

Results are only viewable after voting.

yes, it will.

what do you want? what do you need?

everyone wants a FF body, but do you need them?

i want a 5D2, but all i need is a 7D.

period.

7D for me unless you need razor thin DOF. Don't understand why some people simply parrot that the 5D has better noise control and image quality just because it has a full frame sensor.:nono::rolleyes:

7D for me unless you need razor thin DOF. Don't understand why some people simply parrot that the 5D has better noise control and image quality just because it has a full frame sensor.:nono::rolleyes:

You will not understand until you have used a FF. I am no 'parrot'. I moved from 40D to 5D and the difference is great.

Have you tried 5D?
Quite a number of users report 5D is still sharper and retain more details with the same lens.
Example: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/820707/0
Maybe like doodah said, it's due to AF problem.

Have you even tried 5D or 5D II before? :rolleyes:

The overtly-defensive nature of people here of their own equpment is just plain amazing.

Anthony Lee: 40D to 5D? I thought we were comparing the 7D to the 5D?

sukhoi37: I saw those pictures on page 2, definitely looks like the AF problem, my pictures with the 7D aren't that soft. I've posted some in the softness thread before.

Garion: Yes, I have tried the 5D, not the 5D II though. Did I say that the 5D is a lousy camera? No. Did I say that the 5D can't produce sharp images? No. Now what did I say? I said that simply assuming that the 5D has better noise control and image quality just because it has a full frame sensor is downright silly.

Note that I did not say anything about the 5D II because it's only a year apart from the 7D. The 5D classic however is already 4 years old, technology progresses, no?

The overtly-defensive nature of people here of their own equpment is just plain amazing.

sukhoi37: I saw those pictures on page 2, definitely looks like the AF problem, my pictures with the 7D aren't that soft. I've posted some in the softness thread before.

Garion: Yes, I have tried the 5D, not the 5D II though. Did I say that the 5D is a lousy camera? No. Did I say that the 5D can't produce sharp images? No. Now what did I say? I said that simply assuming that the 5D has better noise control and image quality just because it has a full frame sensor is downright silly.

Note that I did not say anything about the 5D II because it's only a year apart from the 7D. The 5D classic however is already 4 years old, technology progresses, no?

The noise control of 7D definitely beats the 5D1... this is without doubt. But the difference may not matter to 5D users because we are comparing a 1.6x body to a FF body.... FF still has a general advantage due to a big sensor (and yes, i know about microlenses and new sensor technology, i just do not know the numbers to be sure, sorry).

However, in terms of detail, the 5D1 may beat the 7D, but this will depend on whether the used lens can resolve equal or better than the 7D.

Note that using a 7D is equivalent to a 30% centre-crop of a 50 mpx full-frame body which not yet exist.

Last edited:

Now, who's defensive? I said b4 that's it's meaningless to compare FF with cropped bodies. Both are good in their respective applications. I may buy the 7D in 6 mths because I know and understand cropped cams and their uses. But for specific work, definitely the 5D will shine, regardless of its age as it is still an FF. If you had used film SLR and medium format, then you will understand the type of details they will render when handled correctly. My 5D reminds me of the good old days. Cheers and Merry X'mas to all.

I think it depends on the lens you are currently using. If you are currently using all the EF-S lenses then just stick with 7D.

i'd choose FF for the better usage of primes, high ISO performance (its significantly better than 7D according to cameralabs.com) and larger viewfinder. a 50mm behaves the way it should on a FF etc. And for prime users, this is very welcomed.

alamak, everybody got great kits la. photography gear is something so personalized. some prefer this, some prefer that. but the fact is...7D's image is really softer than even a 50D. the digital picture proved it in the 7D review. and also it's been mentioned on some reviews too. a crop can never overtake the light + detail gathering prowess of a FF camera. it's a fact. people use crop and FF for all sorts of reasons. they have their own pluses and minuses. here, we juz share our views..let's not break each other down.

7D's image is really softer than even a 50D

Really? Decided to put this diffraction s**t to the test at f/11. 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM lens on 450D vs 7D.

Tripod mounted. Manual focus. RAW to jpeg using LR 2.6.

Both shots @ 55 mm, ISO 100, f/11, 1/25 sec.

Overall:
753732845_ad3vq-M.jpg

Now, 450D left and 7D right. Roof shingles. 450D upscaled to 7D resolution to demonstrate what happens when the images are printed on the same scale:
753732853_fSD5f-L.jpg

Well, so much for this diffraction garbage. Even with diffraction in place, the 7D still out-resolves the 450D.

There's another comparison of 7D vs 50D/500D vs 1Ds3 here where the photographer has used a sharp macro lens to prove the 7D shows MORE (albeit not substantial) details than the 500D/50D sensor.

Unless Canon has gone bonkers and decides to sell WORSE cameras at higher prices, the only other possibility is that many folks have no idea what they're talking about. The challenge with 7D is that one needs to use defect-free copies of good lenses (without any decentering defects) to fully make use of that 18 MP capability. Anything less is a disservice to the camera. :bsmilie:

a crop can never overtake the light + detail gathering prowess of a FF camera.

Due to its larger sensor, the 5D has more light gathering ability at the sensor level. Consequently, its greatest advantage over smaller sensors is low shot noise, i.e., in well-exposed portions of a scene. HOWEVER, when it comes to read noise (due to electronics) at the pixel level, the 5D sensor is showing its age. So, in the very dark areas of a scene or at VERY high ISO levels, the 7D will easily outperform the 5D. The awful high ISO banding of the 5D only makes it worse.

alright. well not i say one hor...its cameralabs and digital picture. i'm innocent!!!

I'm also considering a new 7D or a second hand 5D. My head tells me 7D but my heart is with 5D.....

wa 7D selling how much in this new year ar? I'm planning to get my 500D off to buy 7D then. :)

I think the 5D is still better.

Seeing and comparing the coloured noise between the 5DC, 7D and 5D2, I'd still take the 5D.

Mainly because the other two, has noise that reminds me so much of pastel colours or water pencils.

I guess too much pixels on a small sensor be a bad thing.

5D.

1) Realised the full potential of my 17-40 f4L when i rented the 5D Classic. :thumbsup:

2) Re-lived the days of film when I coupled the 5D Classic with the tankie Tokina 28-80 atx pro f2.8

Ok maybe AF not too fast, but i'm not shooting F1 here. ;)

Cheers people.

I think the 5D is still better.

Seeing and comparing the coloured noise between the 5DC, 7D and 5D2, I'd still take the 5D.

Mainly because the other two, has noise that reminds me so much of pastel colours or water pencils.

I guess too much pixels on a small sensor be a bad thing.

Prove it.

5D MK2 FTW Haha.. Simply Loving the IQ and the ISO perfomance