Canon 60D vs D650

resham

Sep 1, 2012
Thailand
Hi, I am a newbie here & need some help. I have seen the other thread on this subject but didn't get my answer. The 60D and D650 is at the right price point for me and now I am torn between the two (although I am leaning towards the 650).

I am a hobbyist shooting family pictures/travel memories/youtube type videos and family clips of weddings/birthdays/son's first bicycle ride......you get the idea. And don't forget the occasional (pseudo-artistic) "creative" photograph to discuss with friends over a glass of whisky (or two). In my books the 650 comes out a winner (i actually prefer the light weight to the 60D's "solid-er" built - carzy, I know, but that's the way it is with me; touchscreen - hell yeah ; autofocus movies - sure - lesser complexity in life; Pentamirror - i don't give a damn)
However there are some nagging doubts for which I need some advise before I make the leap. Dunno if you can help with specific questions:
(a) movements – children playing football/somebody dancing/etc – fairly well lit outdoors or stage light : will the 650’s lower shutter speed allow you to freeze a motion as well as 60D?
(b) same situation as “a” and goal is the same – to freeze a motion but playing with cont burst shooting: will the low buffer of the 650 allow one to use the fast fps rate with ease or since the fps will slow down so quickly anyway, because of low buffer, that more will depend on timing and skill of the shooter on a 650 than what will be needed on 60D?
(c) very low light – tripod – fairly stationary subject/person - for a dark "artistic" portrait : will the noise level in such a shot be higher on a 650 than on a 60D provided all other conditions/lenses/etc are same? Will the higher ISO show its magic here?

All advise will be highly appreciated.

I think the 650D might be your best bet. There are other reasons I'd prefer the 60D, but none of those you listed.

a. you don't need 1/8000s to shoot kids, even fast moving ones. 1/250 - 1/500 is more than adequate, so any DSLR can handle it.
b. the buffer might be inadequate if you i) machine gun your shots ii) shoot RAW. The dpreview review indicates that shooting JPEG, even after the 650D buffer is full, you can still shoot at 2.5fps, which is decent. I wouldn't shoot kids at 5fps anyway. You can also improve buffer capacity by shooting smaller file sizes -- 18MP is overkill for most things.
c. If anything, the 650D high ISO performance should be better than the 60D. Any differences would be pretty small though.

before you even touch on point a, b and c, you already have the answer.

go buy the 650D and start capturing the fleeting moments in your life.

Get the 650D, period. Once you are familiar with the topic you will learn what is wrong with a) to c) ..

Hi, I am a newbie here & need some help. I have seen the other thread on this subject but didn't get my answer. The 60D and D650 is at the right price point for me and now I am torn between the two (although I am leaning towards the 650).

I am a hobbyist shooting family pictures/travel memories/youtube type videos and family clips of weddings/birthdays/son's first bicycle ride......you get the idea. And don't forget the occasional (pseudo-artistic) "creative" photograph to discuss with friends over a glass of whisky (or two). In my books the 650 comes out a winner (i actually prefer the light weight to the 60D's "solid-er" built - carzy, I know, but that's the way it is with me; touchscreen - hell yeah ; autofocus movies - sure - lesser complexity in life; Pentamirror - i don't give a damn)
However there are some nagging doubts for which I need some advise before I make the leap. Dunno if you can help with specific questions:
(a) movements – children playing football/somebody dancing/etc – fairly well lit outdoors or stage light : will the 650’s lower shutter speed allow you to freeze a motion as well as 60D?
(b) same situation as “a” and goal is the same – to freeze a motion but playing with cont burst shooting: will the low buffer of the 650 allow one to use the fast fps rate with ease or since the fps will slow down so quickly anyway, because of low buffer, that more will depend on timing and skill of the shooter on a 650 than what will be needed on 60D?
(c) very low light – tripod – fairly stationary subject/person - for a dark "artistic" portrait : will the noise level in such a shot be higher on a 650 than on a 60D provided all other conditions/lenses/etc are same? Will the higher ISO show its magic here?

All advise will be highly appreciated.
Sure. Like you said. The 650 came out as a winner for you. Thats it! :) Just go get it. Because im sure you will be happy after the purchase since it seems to work for you. For your intended purpose. Both camera can do the job. So it dosent really matters and since you already had eyes on 1.

650D... without a doubt

Any modern dSLR will do. Between the 2 you short listed, I'd take the Canon 650D.

i used to consider either the 60D or 650. In the end, i bought a pentax K30. The main reason is that it fits my hand best - deep grip and compact. I guess my skill is the limiting factor and not the camera at this stage.

60D without a doubt, as there is no D650. ;-)

Thanks everybody for the advise. So 650 it shall be. I hope that you guys didn't just give up trying to convince me otherwise when you saw my inclination towards 650 :) :). A special thanks to Edwin Francis is in the right order for taking the time to offer me some good tips specifically to address my doubts.

[video=youtube;lYP1FfTNY3o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYP1FfTNY3o&feature=share&list=UUuw8B6Uv0cMWtV5vbNpeH_A[/video]

A video comparison by DigitalRev :)