Canon 5D mirror fell out, scratched focusing screen, CSC refuse screen replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's pointless to argue here.

For TS, if Canon doesn't provide additional repair services, you certainly can try to purse the matter an individual. I hope that they will be able to provide you with a satisfactory service.

For the rest, we're not here to argue who's a better or bad customer. In Singapore, we're got literally no consumer rights as such, we've formed this notion that it's "already very good" if they do something. However, in other countries where consumer rights are in place, the customer there will not give up until a satisfactory solution is provided to all affected stakeholders.

Let's hope Canon Singapore play nice and do provide services out of goodwill because the damage was from an inherent product failure. They might not do so because they don't want to set an example, then some people will go in and ask for repairs on their L lenses, claiming that the 5D's mirror caused the scratch.

Talking about Toyota, I send in my car to Borneomotors to fix the airbag warning sign twice, the second time they indended the sensor from Japan and replace the whole thing, on the second time servising, I requested a curtousy car and I was given an almost brand new (3000+km on speedo) Altis 1.8 for a day, I lost 2 days of use of my car but the service provided was beyond my expectation, also I am happy as these are done FOC and no nonsense asked.

On the hind site, I cannot imagine if my car is parrallel imported, I will have to cave in if there is a premium charge eventhough the fault is due to product flaw, Borneomotors is a listed company and they are accountable for their own financial state, with finite resources, the priority has to be given to their own customer which they profitted from the car sales, this is the standard practice for most biz I presume.

i've a very simple suggestion...
if TS is not happy with the service he is getting from the CSC, send email to canon sg, canon us, canon jp and see whether can help you...

OR...

buy another brand...

i've a very simple suggestion...
if TS is not happy with the service he is getting from the CSC, send email to canon sg, canon us, canon jp and see whether can help you...

OR...

buy another brand...

I got a call from Canon today after i sent a feedback to them.

Seow Ming from Canon apologised for the miscommunication and confirmed that it was Canon's policy to remedy any damages as a result of the flawed mirror box. As such, the focusing screen replacement as I have requested, will be replaced FOC.

To what I believe was a very reasonable demand, Canon has unreservedly apologise and I have accepted their offer. I believe this the right way to conduct business. Canon, in doing so, gains my approval for an otherwise plesant service experience, almost marred by a grumpy manager.

I'll leave this thread open for others to add in their opinions. Afterwhich since the issue has been resolved, i'll close it after a day.

I got a call from Canon today after i sent a feedback to them.

Seow Ming from Canon apologised for the miscommunication and confirmed that it was Canon's policy to remedy any damages as a result of the flawed mirror box. As such, the focusing screen replacement as I have requested, will be replaced FOC.

To what I believe was a very reasonable demand, Canon has unreservedly apologise and I have accepted their offer. I believe this the right way to conduct business. Canon, in doing so, gains my approval for an otherwise plesant service experience, almost marred by a grumpy manager.

I'll leave this thread open for others to add in their opinions. Afterwhich since the issue has been resolved, i'll close it after a day.

That's more like it. It is petty and small minded of the manager to first agree to replace the screen FOC and then retract based on where the camera was purchased. He is the face of Canon to the consumer and such action only serve to diminish the good name of Canon in the eyes of the public.

To the manager: It's only $30. Even if I were unclear about company policy, I would go ahead and authorize it. A good company will back me up even if it was the wrong decision. Too many front line staff treat customers more like enemies than people who ultimately pay their salary.

From my POV, I am already glad that they are willing to admit a design failure, replace and reinforce a problem with their product. If you are in the IT line, especially the system admin side, you will see a lot of computer companies that will be unwilling to admit design failure with their product and you have to pay to repair for something you know that will breakdown again in the future. Just an example (http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service...47627+1300277842726+28353475&threadId=1312470)

I am not trying to point fingers at anyone.
But just what if that the mirror feel by chance and the screen is already scratch before hand (not pointing to TS, but there are people with lack of integrity) Also it might be scratched while trying to remedied it. I am looking at the remedied idea because I cannot see how a focusing screen can be scratched when the mirror feel down and the screen is at the top.

Last edited:
But just what if that the mirror feel by chance and the screen is already scratch before hand (not pointing to TS, but there are people with lack of integrity) Also it might be scratched while trying to remedied it. I am looking at the remedied idea because I cannot see how a focusing screen can be scratched when the mirror feel down and the screen is at the top.

Actually Im quite surprised not too many 5D users have encountered this issue. You might understand it better if you have see on the spot how the mirror could have dislodged. Do note that 5D is full frame after all, the mirror box compartment is much bigger than most other digital cameras. the mirror that dislodged is very very thin, if I recall, less than 1mm thick. It's 4 edges, is nonetheless very sharp. There is all the possibilities of it wrecking havoc on anything when it is hovering inside the mirror box after dislodging, without the user realizing until he raises the camera's viewfinder to his eyes and wonders why is it all black (of course, since the mirror is floating about, a proper image cant be seen.)

My opinions are that, if Canon has admitted a product flaw and is offering a remedy, they should look more extensively into how that flawed design can cause other issues, and provide whatever remedy they can to the affected units. I am pleased with the fact that by all accounts, I was told by the Canon chap it wa a miscommunication as Canon in the first place will replace FOC the focusing screen if they were informed that it was scratched by the mirror.

I mean to say, if they can fix cameras, such a precise and complex operation, surely they can tell if a focusing screen was actually mishandled or really scratched by a mirror? The same logic goes for a lens that was damaged by the mirror when it dislodged.

For the record, the Canon chap who called to apologise actually said if my lens was scratched as a result of the mirror dislodging, Canon will offer to repair it as well.

The movement of the mirror is at very high speed, look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-isRz54C_vY

When the mirror holder is loose, the mirror will be flung out of position at a high speed when the shutter button is pressed. It could be flung to the sensor, the focusing screen or the rear element.

In fact, after getting my mirror secured at CSC, the technician warned me not to use for the next 24 hrs to let the glue dry, and if there is any damage to the sensor/focusing screen or rear element due to the mirror being flung out again when the glue is not dry yet in the next 24 hrs, CSC will not be responsible.

The movement of the mirror is at very high speed, look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-isRz54C_vY

Wow, the mirror bounce a bit upon hitting like a spring is attached to it. If you look at the 4 frame per second shot, you cannot even see the mirror actually bounce. Some powerful slapping force you see:bsmilie:

I believe this thread has served it purpose. There's probably enough awareness regarding what Canon's stand is on the 5D mirror flaw.

Thanks to all for inputs. Closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.