Canon 5D mirror fell out, scratched focusing screen, CSC refuse screen replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fullwater

Oct 27, 2010
Just like to hear what you guys think.

I was out shooting an important event, and halfway through, my viewfinder got obscured with a very warped image. My first thoughts were like, what the hell? :dunno:

Upon removing the lens, the mirror fell out, I think I got quite shocked, but since I have heard of the issue online, it was kind of expected. Just didnt expect to be in one of the "rare instances", as given in the press release by Canon, available here for reference, Canon Press Release Regarding Flawed 5D Mirror Design.

I couldnt simply stop shooting, so I remedied it as best as I could, which was to apply double sided tape to the mirror and affix it back to the mirror frame. I noticed some heavy scratches on the focusing screen, present in the viewfinder, presumably caused by the dislodged mirror when it fell off.

I brought it to CSC today where they agreed to replace the mirror. I requested a goodwill replacement of the focusing screen as well, since the scratches were caused by the faulty mirror design. However I was asked to pay $30 dollars for it. Some negotiation and the service guy agreed to a free replacement, only to retract it when he realized that my 5D was bought from USA.

Just like to hear your thoughts. Of course I know that the scratches on the focusing screen do not really affect my final image. However, I dont think its unreasonable to request for a replacement since it was scratched by the mirror falling out. And if Canon worldwide is offering the remedy for the flawed mirror, why is CSC Singapore, or to be more exact, the manager that served me, biasing against USA sets and local sets when offering the replacement screen at their discretion? I asked to speak to someone higher, but was grudgingly declined by the manager that attended to me.

I dont think I'm quite pleased with my virgin experience at CSC. Collecting my camera in a few days. Constructive comments welcomed, thanks

Btw, you already said it is goodwill. So CSC is not obliged to replace the screen or even fix the mirror for free.

My suggestion is to suck it up. It is just $30. Give and take a little.

The alternative is to send your camera to USA to get it fixed. And you better hope your warranty has not expired.

Personally I would take this chance to replace the screen with one with a split prism.

Last edited:
Btw, you already said it is goodwill. So CSC is not obliged to replace the screen or even fix the mirror for free.

My suggestion is to suck it up. It is just $30. Give and take a little.

The alternative is to send your camera to USA to get it fixed. And you better hope your warranty has not expired.

official Canon statement apologizes for the mirror issue and unreservedly offer the mirror fix. Link in 1st post

And the 5D is obviously out of warranty, sending to US is not an option.

Of course, $30 dollars not a big deal to be honest, just that to me, the tone of the press release dont seem to match the actions of the CSC's staff.

Last edited:
fullwater said:
official Canon statement apologizes for the mirror issue and unreservedly offer the mirror fix. Link in 1st post

And the 5D is obviously out of warranty, sending to US is not an option.

Of course, $30 dollars not a big deal to be honest, just that to me, the tone of the press release dont seem to match the actions of the CSC's staff.

Well, canon is running a business after all. And all repairs rendered out of goodwill will have to be justified and charged to a cost center. So I can understand where the staff is coming from with their standpoint.

Well, canon is running a business after all. And all repairs rendered out of goodwill will have to be justified and charged to a cost center. So I can understand where the staff is coming from with their standpoint.

Yep business is indeed business. I would think that running a business, and causing inconvenience to customers due to flawed products, should at least warrant some sort of appeasement. After all, so much money has been spent on R and D, and if they launch a product that was found to suffer from flawed designs, such costs of recalls are to be expected.

Well, it happens all the time, which is why I personally dont think asking for a free replacement for scratched focusing screen is unreasonable.

Then again, I'm not running Canon lol

fullwater said:
Yep business is indeed business. I would think that running a business, and causing inconvenience to customers due to flawed products, should at least warrant some sort of appeasement. After all, so much money has been spent on R and D, and if they launch a product that was found to suffer from flawed designs, such costs of recalls are to be expected.

Well, it happens all the time, which is why I personally dont think asking for a free replacement for scratched focusing screen is unreasonable.

Yup your request is not unreasonable.

But their stand to replace the screen for $30 is also very reasonable. $30 is part cost only. No labor. I thought that in itself is already going above and beyond.

If you feel canon should do more, you should take it up to Canon USA and Canon japan.

I have a different experience with CSC, though my 5D set is also not local but from HK.

I went to have my sensor cleaned, and upon examination, the staff at CSC said my 5D mirror has not been fixed yet, so they will replace it for me FOC. In addition i told them that there was quite some dust in my focusing screen, and they went ahead and cleaned my focusing screen FOC even though it shd cost $20.

But their stand to replace the screen for $30 is also very reasonable. $30 is part cost only. No labor. I thought that in itself is already going above and beyond.

I dont see why canon should charge labour to change a focusing screen, i mean, its just a quick and simple 30 second job which can be done at home? You can bring your DSLR and a new focusing screen to CSC and they will help you change it FOC.

I have a different experience with CSC, though my 5D set is also not local but from HK.

I went to have my sensor cleaned, and upon examination, the staff at CSC said my 5D mirror has not been fixed yet, so they will replace it for me FOC. In addition i told them that there was quite some dust in my focusing screen, and they went ahead and cleaned my focusing screen FOC even though it shd cost $20.

Yup, that was the kind of service that I was expecting. Oh wells, maybe I met the wrong service staff.

A little effort and maybe some small costs goes a long way in keeping customers happy.

Last edited:
kangdi said:

I think the difference is that it involves replacing a part (focusing screen) and CSC needs to justify how to expense that part. They are not charging TS for labor.

kangdi said:
I dont see why canon should charge labour to change a focusing screen, i mean, its just a quick and simple 30 second job which can be done at home? You can bring your DSLR and a new focusing screen to CSC and they will help you change it FOC.

Yes. But what about the part? Inventory control is in place for a company like canon. The mirror they can fix or replace because they will charge it back to head office due to the "recall". But not the focusing screen. To expense a focusing screen, they will need higher approval which none of the floor staff can approve for an overseas unit.

Need to understand how corporations work.

Actually I don't think TS / CSC can prove 100% that the scratches are caused by the broken mirror...so it depends whether CSC want to change FOC out of goodwill..

if they change FOC, then good for TS....but if not, I really don't think CSC are wrong though....

Yes. But what about the part? Inventory control is in place for a company like canon. The mirror they can fix or replace because they will charge it back to head office due to the "recall". But not the focusing screen. To expense a focusing screen, they will need higher approval which none of the floor staff can approve for an overseas unit.

Need to understand how corporations work.

True. Which is why i requested to speak to a higher authority.

Me: "Could you maybe let me speak to your manager regarding my request?"

Service Attendant: "I'm the manager around here..."

My limited understanding of corporations is such that, you escalate requests if they cannot be fufiled at the current level of authority. Well, I was flatly rejected on the spot when I requested to seek the assistance of someone higher up.

:what:

fullwater said:
True. Which is why i requested to speak to a higher authority.

Me: "Could you maybe let me speak to your manager regarding my request?"

Service Attendant: "I'm the manager around here..."

My limited understanding of corporations is such that, you escalate requests if they cannot be fufiled at the current level of authority. Well, I was flatly rejected on the spot when I requested to seek the assistance of someone higher up.

:what:

Well, that's just too bad then. Cheers.

the mirror issue is already fully covered, and you are requesting for an additional repair. Canon is only charging you for the spare part since it is not a local set, so what more do you want? in the first place you should have brought it down for replacement once the service notice is out. Else, if the mirror falls off and hits the last element of your L lens, you expect canon to LL repair that for you too? I think they are already doing what they should. dont be unreasonable.

if the camera is out of warranty, it doesn't matter whether it is a local set or bought from another country.

if the mirror falls and scratches my L lens, then it was damage caused by a manufacturing or design defect. wouldn't you want to get it repaired or replaced by Canon?

it's like the toyota recalls for stuck accelerator pedals. does this mean that we can only expect the pedals to be fixed? What if there was damage or loss of life due to the stuck pedals? That's the basis of many of the lawsuits. The defect caused damage, hence the company is responsible for the damage their defective product caused.

the mirror issue is already fully covered, and you are requesting for an additional repair. Canon is only charging you for the spare part since it is not a local set, so what more do you want? in the first place you should have brought it down for replacement once the service notice is out. Else, if the mirror falls off and hits the last element of your L lens, you expect canon to LL repair that for you too? I think they are already doing what they should. dont be unreasonable.

Thanks for your inputs, its good to hear what others actually think of the issue.

It will be wonderful for businesses all over the whole if every consumer has such low expectations as you.

To your reply, my expectations of "mirror issue is already fully covered" does not hold here. They refuse to replace my scratched focusing screen caused by mirror = mirror issue not fully covered.

If I bring in 2 units of 5D, a local and a grey set, both out of warranty, both with mirrors to be fixed and both with scratched focusing screens caused by fallen-off mirror, yes I will expect equal treatment for both of them, which includes my request for a focusing screen replacement. Nothing more than that, and presumably, nothing less.

Yeah I think I should have brought it down immediately once the service notice was out. Maybe Canon should set a deadline for their replacement exercise and not accept cameras from procrastinators like me. Sorry about that. But oh wait, they still offered to replace my mirror today leh, after it dropped out....

If my L lens, heck, even my 50mm f1.8 lens was scratched as a result of the fallen mirror, I actually do expect Canon to LL repair for me. Well, it is very well their fault for delivering a product with a flawed design. Else I wonder what will happen to their reputation should an issue be made known that Canon refuses to repair an L lens becase of their own flawed product.

Yup I dont deny Canon is doing what they should, which is basically remedying the mirror. Im asking for them to extend it to the focusing screen.

The general notion here dont seem to think I'm unreasonable and I think I am disheartened at your comment. Then again, I would love to have you as a customer if I ever decide to run a business.

I did some googling and found that Canon USA replaced a scratched focusing screen and remedied the mirror of a particular user over at dpreview. View the last comment. Well, this makes me even more determined to request for a focusing screen replacement. Why the double standards Canon?

5D mirror repair - Canon service question (Focus screen)

Last edited:
From the link TS posted...

All decisions regarding warranty coverage are made by the Factory
Service Center at the time of repair. If the repair entails something
that is not covered in warranty, or if the product is out of warranty, a
written estimate will be sent to you at the address that you have
provided.
The repairs to your product will not begin until you approve
this estimate and make payment arrangements. If, after receiving the
estimate, you do not wish to have the product repaired, please inform
the Factory Service Center of your decision as soon as possible. If you
decline the estimate, the product will be shipped back to you
unrepaired.

If your set is out of warranty, and they do any repairs for free, it is done out of Goodwill. You said so yourself in your opening post. They have all the right to ask you to pay for it. You can demand what you want, it just goes to show how unrealistic the expectations some customers can have.

Last edited:
i think there's a difference between a repair under warranty, and a recall due to a manufacturing defect.

the first case applies to user error like dropping and breaking something, and the second case is like the mirror issue.

antacid said:
i think there's a difference between a repair under warranty, and a recall due to a manufacturing defect.

the first case applies to user error like dropping and breaking something, and the second case is like the mirror issue.

I am sorry but I feel that user error and accidents are not covered by any warranty. It will only be covered by insurance if you bought it. Warranty covers only manufacturer defect during the warranty period.

Feel free to read any text that accompany any warranty for verification.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.