can someone give me a step by step to printing photos on my printer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

denn23

Dec 22, 2003
have a few pics.. but they are in a variety of sizes.. big, small and medium,, so i really dont know how BIG or small it would be when i print?

i know people say crop... but waht if i dont want to crop?? cause i when i crop, things get deleted and my pic becomes BIG?? y?

thanks.. till now very blur over the whole thing.. (im so bad that I even use msword to guage the printing size.... using print preview)

sorry, i know its very stupid questions. .. but honestly, i have no idea! so please be patient with moi.

thanks!

oh one more question...

wahts that resolution thingie beside the crop thingie?? do i just leave it? or do i adjust it to get optimum image?

thx again

maybe you should try posting ur questions under "newbie".
You should read up things like digital image, image resolutions etc...

To see the final print size, you can use View > Print Size from the menubar at the top of photoshop. There is also an option to print with preview in photoshop, so you don't need to open up in winword to see the final output.

Alternatively if you don't like surprises, resize your pictures before printing. Just set the print size and resolution (see below for more) you want when you are resizing the picture (that's under Image > Image size).

As for why your pix gets bigger when you crop, it's probably cos' you didn't click the "Clear" button before cropping, so you end up cropping the pic and then resizing it at the same time to whatever dimensions are reflected in the width and height boxes. But the idea behind cropping is to get rid of unwanted bits of your picture, so if you don't want to lose parts of your picture, then use the image size (Image > Image size) function instead.

Ok onto resolution... I don't think I want to confuse you with too much detail here, but generally, the idea is that the higher the resolution/dpi, the higher the output quality of the printed photo. The general norm for a high resolution print out is to print at 250dpi to 300dpi, so don't be kiasu and try to print at 900dpi cos' your eyes prob won't be able to see the diff, and your digicam prob can't output a pic at that kind of resolution without the print size being very tiny. However, for most of the digicams out there today, you should have no trouble printing out a high res 4R (4x6 inches) picture at that resolution.

Lastly, if you still want to know more, go read this
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/und_resolution.shtml
The luminous-landscape is one of the sites I often visit to learn more stuff about digicams and photography, and there are lots of good detailed articles there.

ashbaby said:

yeah books, magazines, and websites... these places are great to learn for starters. very hard to answer these step by step things here due to the lack of visuals

All brands of printers come bundled with photo printing software which are very easy to use. Just select the image to print, paper type, and photo print size you want and the software will do the rest. Why don't you use the printing software that comes with your printer?

ashbaby said:

i did read up... i know how to crop.. resize.. and all that.. but it comes to printing.. it doesnt seem to tally with the size i see on my com.

and i didnt post it in newbie cause i thought its a general think for cameras... and everything.. but this is a digital darkroom (photoshop).. so yeap, explained myself

thanks!

tomcat said:
All brands of printers come bundled with photo printing software which are very easy to use. Just select the image to print, paper type, and photo print size you want and the software will do the rest. Why don't you use the printing software that comes with your printer?

my printer just comes with the cd driver... maybe cause its not very high end.

its a canon i255. :)

denn23 said:
my printer just comes with the cd driver... maybe cause its not very high end.

its a canon i255. :)

Canon i255 comes with Easy Photoprint software which is one of the most user friendly photo printing software I have ever come across. Just install and use it to print your photos. I'm using it for my i905 printer.

See the specs for your printer here:
http://www.canon.com.sg/index.cfm?fuseaction=bubblejet&prod_type=i255

tomcat said:
Canon i255 comes with Easy Photoprint software which is one of the most user friendly photo printing software I have ever come across. Just install and use it to print your photos. I'm using it for my i905 printer.

See the specs for your printer here:
http://www.canon.com.sg/index.cfm?fuseaction=bubblejet&prod_type=i255

huh.. there is? man.. dont tell me the shop took it out!!

denn23 said:
huh.. there is? man.. dont tell me the shop took it out!!
There is only 1 disk and both the drivers, user's guide and the other softwares are inside that disk. When loaded, you have the option to install printer and drivers and another option to install the other softwares. Most likely, you only exercised the option to install the printer but did not install the softwares after that.

I agree with the other Canon users. If you're using a Canon printer and you do not know how to resize your images for perfect prints, you will do yourself a BIG favour by using the Easy Photo Print software supplied with your printer. It's basically as simple as 3 steps:

1) You can view the thumbnails of all your images, click to select the ones you like (or all if you want).

2) Select the paper size (A4, 4R, 5R etc) and the paper type (eg. glossy photo paper or whatever)

3) Choose the layout (border or borderless, 1 single image/2 images/4 images/thumbnail index etc).

Then just click print. The best thing is that your images will appear on the paper the same as it appears on the screen. So you won't kick yourself for printing mistakes (wasting costly inks and paper).

It should come on the same CD as the driver. Or else you can download it from Canon at the following URL:

http://www.canon-asia.com/downloads/exif.html

But if you don't have broadband, it could be a little problem. Cuz the file is 14.9 mb. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.