Can I Use A Nikon Flash With A Canon D60?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swimaniac

Sep 9, 2005
Hi

I am just trying my hand at photography and am looking for a flash for my Canon D60. My brother has a spare flash wants to give me his Nikon SB16???(i think).:dunno:

Can this flash be ised on a D60 either in manual or auto mode. I would appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks

no problem if this flash had amanual or auto mode!no ttl is useable!!!try sb24 sb26 or sb28 above so that u can change the mode to a or m!the final image is spot on!!!but not to sure withthe sb12,thinkit the old model.with only ttl mode,pls do not try ,cos the image when taken will most likely be over over expose and the flash tube may burn.just my experience.

Thanks for your input. Appreciate it very much.

I've got 2 x SB28s for my D60 and its as good as Metz 45CL4!

Hi

Thanks for your feedback.

I took the risk and tried it and guess what?...... IT WORKS!!!!!!!!! But on manual only.

Thanks again

get the 380EX

swimaniac said:
Hi

Thanks for your feedback.

I took the risk and tried it and guess what?...... IT WORKS!!!!!!!!! But on manual only.

Thanks again
You can use the "A" mode as well, which will give you some form of flash autoexposure. A bit like TTL but the exposure is measured from a sensor on the flash instead of the camera.

Regards
CK

But if you forgot to set Nikon flash to A or manual mode and use it with Canon dslr.
What is the risk? It can happen easily when you are in middle of hectic photo shoot.

You may or may not fry the camera circuits and also the flash circuits.
If it fries, have to replace whole dslr and flash.
And if your AF lens is connected electronically to camera maybe the lens will be gone too.
So if it is an L lens can be expensive mistake.

So why take this risk that is preventable?

the pins on the Nikon flash do not meet the non-central contacts on the hotshoe. to be save, just "tape" up the pins other than the central one.

"So why take this risk that is preventable?"

Cos the nikon in auto non-ttl mode is far more accurate exposure than any of the canon EX flashes!!! Its also not that easy to accidentally change settings on the nikon flash as the buttons are flushed with the panel and you actually need to use your nails to change settings.....

Thanks for all your feedback. I have done as per the suggestions ie.tape the unused contacts and using the auto mode.

Glad to say that the pictures are all coming up Ok. Will need to do more experimenting and practice with the flash.

Thanks again for all your feedback and suggestions

Ris Goh said:
"So why take this risk that is preventable?"

Cos the nikon in auto non-ttl mode is far more accurate exposure than any of the canon EX flashes!!! Its also not that easy to accidentally change settings on the nikon flash as the buttons are flushed with the panel and you actually need to use your nails to change settings.....

Interesting. Are they really that good?

... you can drop by my office in NUS or home in AMK to try it and do a 1:1 comparison (me sold all my canon flashes liao).....

Status
Not open for further replies.