Can Canon Speedlite 533G and Sunpak Auto 405 G Thyristor still be used on DSLR ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanqiang1011

Jan 22, 2005
Tiny Red Dot...
www.blitzwerkz.com
Hi Folks,

Today I was shopping around Peninsula and saw these hammerheads Canon Speedlite 533G (at TCW) and the Sunpak Auto 405 G Thyristor (at Adelphi).

manual533GAcover.jpg

The Canon Speedlite 533G looks like this

544.jpg

The Sunpak Auto 405 G Thyristor looks like this

What is a Thyristor? Any different with flash by the way?

Are these two:

1) manual hammerhead flash?

2) going to fit on a 300D and 10D? (never mind about E-TTL, i dont use it often nowadays)

I am wondering any people here in Clubsnap used these two flash before in the age of film times? Can we still use it in these digital times?:p

Regards

PS: This is a repost, the original at Canon thread seems no response so I reposting in Kopitam to discuss.

What is a Thyristor?

A thyristor is a semiconductor switching device that can be used to control the flash output. It also goes by the name SCR (silicon controlled rectifier).

There are two main architectures to control flash output: the more desirable one is to turn off the flash tube after sufficient light output, leaving the remaining energy stored in the main capacitor and reducing cylce times. These flashes are frequently designated as "series thyristor". The other one is basically short-circuiting the flash tube, dumping all the unneeded energy. Both schemes can use thyristors.

Are these two:

1) manual hammerhead flash?

They're almost certainly manual + automatic ("computer") flashes.

2) going to fit on a 300D and 10D? (never mind about E-TTL, i dont use it often nowadays)

They probably won't do any form of TTL, but should otherwise work. They might require an adapter if the trigger voltage is too high or has the "wrong" polarity - while electronic cameras of yesteryear had generally no problems, many of today's cameras are extremely fragile in this respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.