Can Canon glasses survive drops and knocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello everyone!
yup, i was wondering if Canon lenses (be it L or non L) can survive knocks (normal or hard) and drops? i once saw a photographer drop his 70-200L and wondered if it survived.
have you guys dropped or knocked your lenses before (esp L lenses)?

70-200mm-switches-DSC_2757.jpg

Karl, a journalist, dropped his 70-200 L, nine feets, from a elephant in India, and confirmed by Ken Rockwell that it is still in working condition. Ken is a Nikon user, but gives his view why the 70-200 L is a good lens to invest.

source: http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/70-200mm-f28-is.htm

Last edited:
70-200mm-switches-DSC_2757.jpg

Karl, a journalist, dropped his 70-200 L, nine feets, from a elephant in India, and confirmed by Ken Rockwell that it is still in working condition. Ken is a Nikon user, but gives his view why the 70-200 L is a good lens to invest.

source: http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/70-200mm-f28-is.htm
If my lens looked like that. I'll be pretty sad. Maybe send it to canon to get the casing replaced to a new white one. Haha:)

GMAN

If my lens looked like that. I'll be pretty sad. Maybe send it to canon to get the casing replaced to a new white one. Haha:)

GMAN

I've seen worse off 70-200 2.8IS's around. Pros use their tools as if they are dispensable.

hello everyone!
yup, i was wondering if Canon lenses (be it L or non L) can survive knocks (normal or hard) and drops? i once saw a photographer drop his 70-200L and wondered if it survived.
have you guys dropped or knocked your lenses before (esp L lenses)?

I've never dropped any lens or bodies before so i can't really deduce it. I've a friend who once dropped his 24-105 from seating position onto the concrete floor and nothing happened to his lens, but the filter dented and cracked the the point of impact and ceased.

2 years ago, I dropped my EF 70-200mm f/2.8L when I forgot to zip my backpack. As I was swinging the backpack to my back, it flew out and landed with a 'glass-shattering' sound onto solid concrete floor at the carpark!

PIcked it up and found that the UV filter was shattered, the filter ring bended out of shape and stuck to the lens thread. Lens cap cracked as well but no other external 'injuries' was visible. Had to use pliers to bend the filter back and forced it out. Tested the lens for the next few outings and no focusing or other problems surfaced. Till this day, the lens is still serving me well...:thumbsup:

Guessed the filter took most of the impact, but was still lucky that the impact did not damage the rest of the lens components. Wondered if the front lens element would have shattered if not for the UV filter?:think:

i don't drop my lenses a lot, but amongst them, the plastic 50mm now makes some noise when it hits the end of one side of the focusing scale - must have damaged the focusing mechanism.

hmmm. okay... alot of interesting stories here.
btw, is it normal that 24-105 does produce a noise when focusing? like when it's at the both ends of focusing, it's tends to produce a soft whirling sound, it's like it's searching for a focus.

I did drop a IXUS, 6 fts from a hard ground. Got scratches all over it, but still in working condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.