Can Canon glasses survive drops and knocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTCahHTC

May 9, 2008
hello everyone!
yup, i was wondering if Canon lenses (be it L or non L) can survive knocks (normal or hard) and drops? i once saw a photographer drop his 70-200L and wondered if it survived.
have you guys dropped or knocked your lenses before (esp L lenses)?

hello everyone!
yup, i was wondering if Canon lenses (be it L or non L) can survive knocks (normal or hard) and drops? i once saw a photographer drop his 70-200L and wondered if it survived.

easy way to find out :D

drop yours ~ :D

lolx, really depends on your luck. sometimes you drop stuff and it gets a few scratches, sometimes amazingly nothings wrong. but we do call lenses 'glass' for a reason.

If its an L lens then it might survive the drop and knocks but i guess that any other lens might just survive too it all depends on how you drop it.

Drop my 10-22 mounted on 40D when i was in korea. thankfully the uv filter took the full impact. UV filter cracked and dented at the side. lens is ok and so is body. :)

Anything dropped will suffer damage. Either cosmetics, internal or external.

GMAN

heh. dropped my 50mm 1.8 II on wooden flooring.

from about a 1.4m height.

but there was no damage whatsoever. at least i couldn't see any physical scars and it worked like before. sharpness was still there.

Ken Rockwell, the online reviewer, said that his mate dropped a 70-200 f/2.8IS from the top of an elephant (ten feet) and the lens still worked and was very sharp.

However, he was also the one that said the 1Ds MarkIII's were useless after 5D2 came out soo...

Drop my 10-22 mounted on 40D when i was in korea. thankfully the uv filter took the full impact. UV filter cracked and dented at the side. lens is ok and so is body. :)

If its an L lens then it might survive the drop and knocks but i guess that any other lens might just survive too it all depends on how you drop it.

lolx, really depends on your luck. sometimes you drop stuff and it gets a few scratches, sometimes amazingly nothings wrong. but we do call lenses 'glass' for a reason.

heh. dropped my 50mm 1.8 II on wooden flooring.

from about a 1.4m height.

but there was no damage whatsoever. at least i couldn't see any physical scars and it worked like before. sharpness was still there.

haha. thanks for all the replies. but how do one know if there's no internal damage? i guess most people would just panick for awhile, test their lenses out, and if everything's all right, there's no damage done?
but wat Ninja23XX said is true too... 'Anything dropped will suffer damage. Either cosmetics, internal or external.'
btw, do knocks affect the glasses inside the lens?

There is no definitel answer to your question. Some EF lenses will last forever, some L lenses will fail straight out of the box without being dropped. How lucky do you feel today?

Dropped my 70-200mm F4 IS from waist height onto tiled floor before, no noticeable effect.

Anyway, why ask? Unlike taking the lens into rainy weather etc, its not like we want to drop lens if we have a choice. :think:

Ken Rockwell, the online reviewer, said that his mate dropped a 70-200 f/2.8IS from the top of an elephant (ten feet) and the lens still worked and was very sharp.

However, he was also the one that said the 1Ds MarkIII's were useless after 5D2 came out soo...

ten feet? -.-
if wat he has said is ture... amazing lens, seriously.

but 1Ds III is totally different from 5D2 (excluding the fact that they're FF)...

They are made of GLASS. Any impact would have the potential to break them.

hmmm... true... thanks.

Dropped my 70-200mm F4 IS from waist height onto tiled floor before, no noticeable effect.

Anyway, why ask? Unlike taking the lens into rainy weather etc, its not like we want to drop lens if we have a choice. :think:

didnt you felt any hurt?:think:
well, this question came cos i saw that photographer dropped his 70-200L, and it's an expensive lens.

hello everyone!

It depends on how it was dropped.
Like notebook PC, there are ways to demonstrate a drop and it can survive....

haha. thanks for all the replies. but how do one know if there's no internal damage? i guess most people would just panick for awhile, test their lenses out, and if everything's all right, there's no damage done?
but wat Ninja23XX said is true too... 'Anything dropped will suffer damage. Either cosmetics, internal or external.'
btw, do knocks affect the glasses inside the lens?
Any item, that comes out from the manufacturing line is stress tested. And those being Canon lenses, Japanese are quite strigent on their tests. So the product must survive accidental low drops, hits, or bumps, with minimal damage.

When your lens drops on the floor, and you don't see anything damaged, just don't be so happy yet. Maybe when you try it out on a camera, it may not work, or the elements have shifted alignments.

In theory, glass is not easy to break. But how come glass breaks so easily in real life? It relates to pressure applied on the glass.

GMAN

Last edited:
Any item, that comes out from the manufacturing line is stress tested. And those being Canon lenses, Japanese are quite strigent on their tests. So the product must survive accidental low drops, hits, or bumps, with minimal damage.

When your lens drops on the floor, and you don't see anything damaged, just don't be so happy yet. Maybe when you try it out on a camera, it may not work, or the elements have shifted alignments.

In theory, glass is not easy to break. But how come glass breaks so easily in real life? It relates to pressure applied on the glass.

GMAN

Maybe that's why my 24-105L is sharper after dropping it waist high on concrete....I think the lens hood saved the day...no marks on the body, UV filter undamaged but the hood is scarred.

Maybe that's why my 24-105L is sharper after dropping it waist high on concrete....I think the lens hood saved the day...no marks on the body, UV filter undamaged but the hood is scarred.
It's possible. You can't rule out that option. In your case, you're lucky. The hood can be easily be replaced, but the alignment process, takes hours to get the best fit. But for you, just a small drop, made your lens have the best alignment possible. Haha.

GMAN

how much force applied ?? imagine if canon put in lens manual hahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.