Camera, SD cards and X-ray machine at airports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Success

Jan 22, 2006
I do not put my camera in my check luggage when I travel.

But before boarding the plane, have no choice but to put my camera through the xray machine.

Though it's said to be camera and film safe, I have this thought that the xray may damage my camera and sd cards.

Do you think the metal detector do more damage or the xray machine do more damage? If the metal detector do less damage, I thought maybe can act blue hook my camera on my belt and walk through the metal detector.

What do you think?

it does no damage. This has been extensively tested.

You mean the xray machine?

How about the metal detector and those hand held scanners they use after the detector?

If the metal detector do less damage, I thought maybe can act blue hook my camera on my belt and walk through the metal detector.

They will just ask u to walk back thru the gate, put your cam into the machine, and u walk back thru the (gate) detector.

And if it sounds again, some airpots will ask u to strip off your belt & shoes.

Changi Airport quite friendly.

Both X-ray machine and metal detector in the airport are safe for your camera and flash cards unless u are using film with ASA 800 and above.

You mean the xray machine?

How about the metal detector and those hand held scanners they use after the detector?

no.. camera and SD card or whatever cards won't have any problems.

except films ISO at 1600 and above iirc. i once put the film in my pocket and got myself searched. forced to put my film thru the xray machine but i kept insisting NONONONO until i got what i wanted. ;p

Confirmed No damage.
Gear went through the machine many times already.

All security equipment will have to conform to certain specifications which does include "safe against photographic equipment and pacemaker"

My D50 and accessories so far do not have any known damage from going through airport security. Its always kept in the bag when going through the machines.

If TS so scared, can travel by road.

BTW, inusrance cover if damage is known to be caused by the x-ray machine...??

no problem one, i even had my portable harddisk, nothing at all

see link for more info

just an example of a common brand X ray machine deployed at most places.

I do not put my camera in my check luggage when I travel.

But before boarding the plane, have no choice but to put my camera through the xray machine.

Though it's said to be camera and film safe, I have this thought that the xray may damage my camera and sd cards.

Do you think the metal detector do more damage or the xray machine do more damage?

The X-ray will not do any damage to the camera/lens/memory card, as for the metal detector :donno:

thanks guys. blive, that's a good one. But not scared lah. It's something I have always wanted to ask and find out.

My recent experience is that if you won't them x-ray your equipment, it doesn't go on the plane. End of story.

Checked luggage is put through x-ray machines even more powerful than the ones for cabin luggage.

For a digital camera, computers, hard disks, flash cards, there is no risk, especially if it's turned off. The manufactures of the x-ray machines test for this. Any thing electronic will pass through fine - unless it's some sort of highly sensitive high frequency radio receiver.

Special films might be affected - but I would make special arrangements in advance to get it transported - the front line monkeys on the cabin luggage scanners are not going to appreciate the subtlety of high ASA film unless you hit one who happens to have photography as a hobby. If you put the film one of those shielded film containers they will in all probability ask you to remove the film from the container for x-ray as the machine won't be able to see inside the container.

The last airport I went through (last year) if you wouldn't let it be x-rayed, it didn't travel. No negotiation.

Status
Not open for further replies.