Calling all Profoto Users

Marcus Bell - Top Australian Wedding Photographer is coming to do workshop during shriros Photo Carnival on 26th November !
Marcus is rated as amongst the worlds top 10 Best wedding Photographers by BBC. :thumbsup:
Watch out for the registration announcement now !

Last edited:
Just received this.... cool man !!!
heard that Shriro will also be showing the new ProDaylight for video shooting...

MarcusBellWeb.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
i like :)

Just received this.... cool man !!!
heard that Shriro will also be showing the new ProDaylight for video shooting...

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
i like :)

Alamak, sure or not? I cant attend leh... can someone video down or write a review??? :thumbsup:

Profoto demo stock sale .
On 26th Nov. at the Shriro Photo carnival there will be some Profoto stuff for sale.
Final list should be out after the stock check on the 24th .
Limited stuff , so first come first to grab!
Likewise for the other brands by shriro .. .

The Shriro Photo Carnival is on this Friday !
Bring your own cameras and cash for the sale items.
Starts at 2 pm . Marcus bells Talk is 4-5 pm and Demos at 6-8 pm .
Come up by cargo Lifts and avoid driving or park at the nearby HDB .
See you there !

hey hey... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Brides_2girls.jpg

Some pix for those who missed last friday event.... kekekekeke.... i had a fun time shooting and marcus was great !!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

my fav... vespa ! :)

Brides_BWpoka.jpg

I just bought a Profoto Compact 300 kit from Fotographix and it comes without the magnum reflectors. The ones I see on the internet come with them. Did the person miss out on giving me the magnums or it's really like that?

Modelling lamp - Does it matter if the modelling lamp does not have an outer 'dome' like the one here: http://www.amazon.com/Profoto-Halogen-Modeling-Heads-504-444/dp/B001AQSHU8

The ones that come with my kit look like this (with the watt difference): http://www.photowarehouse.co.nz/profoto-250w-240v-e27-modelling-lamp/
Should the kit come with the transparent dome?

Different distributors package their kit sets differently .

Magnum reflectors are like $450 each so it is unlikely to be included .
The local package do not include reflectors as they come with white umbrellas .
These , for simplicity , sometimes do better , giving an even spread to a room for instance.

The modelling lamps come in different shapes by different brand manufacturers.
These do not dilute the fact for the work expected of them .

Anyway , Profotos normally come with diffused glass domes to encase the lamps and give the even edge to the quality of light .

Use it right and you should be able to enjoy your Profotos.

Hiya,

Thanks for the clarification.

Mine are reflective umbrellas, not shoot-thro.

I just tested the lights this morning, and to my dismay, one is not working. That says something abt the QC despite its good reputation.

I just bought a Profoto Compact 300 kit from Fotographix and it comes without the magnum reflectors. The ones I see on the internet come with them. Did the person miss out on giving me the magnums or it's really like that?

Modelling lamp - Does it matter if the modelling lamp does not have an outer 'dome' like the one here: http://www.amazon.com/Profoto-Halogen-Modeling-Heads-504-444/dp/B001AQSHU8

The ones that come with my kit look like this (with the watt difference): http://www.photowarehouse.co.nz/profoto-250w-240v-e27-modelling-lamp/
Should the kit come with the transparent dome?
Rains,

Typical Profoto value pack sets in the US are as follows:
2 x ComPact-R 300 Monolight (90-260VAC)
2 x Zoom Reflector for Profoto - 65-110 Degrees
16' Synchro Cable
2 x Light Stands
2 x Umbrellas
Soft Kit Case

I know that those in Singapore do not provide zoom reflectors.
Magnum reflectors are a premium product, I know they are only provide with the Pro Twin-Heads. The old standard zoom reflectors look like a small version of the Magnum reflector - if you look closely the Magnum edges closer to a true parabolic dish compared to the standard zoom head.

Profoto usually also gives away black-rear-covered white-reflective umbrellas. Very rarely white translucent nor silver umbrellas.

When you say 'dome' - are you referring to the modelling lamp or the glass-cover-diffuser that is fitted over the flash tube? Most Profoto heads come with a 75mm frosted glass cover uncoated. I know that the Acute and Pro heads are frosted UV coated.

Modelling lamps usually just come with a glass-shield and not double-walled.
If you require spares (no disrespect to the local Profoto distributor) you can get them from Sinter Electrical Company in Sim Lim Tower. #03-05. Bring your tube there to show them so that they can find a match.

When you collected your Compact 300 Kit, did you have a chance to test fire the heads?
I'm assuming that you went down to the store to collect it.
Firstly, is the set a used set, demo set or brand new set?
Secondly are you in Singapore or overseas?

Profoto compacts and generators & heads are rarely DOA. Check the chip or fuse - could one have blown?

The Marcus bell Talk was good and the carnival was entertaining .
Here are some runaway brides ...

Brides_2e.jpg

Some event pics of the Marcus Bell workshop at Shriro .

marcusbell03.jpg

marcusbell02.jpg

MarcusBell-01.jpg

Hall2.jpg

Hiya,

Thanks for the clarification.

Mine are reflective umbrellas, not shoot-thro.

I just tested the lights this morning, and to my dismay, one is not working. That says something abt the QC despite its good reputation.

Hello ,

Understand from Boon , the Profoto technician , that you brought the compact in and , it was working .
They changed a new one for you anyway .
Would you like to comment ?
Kinda of unfair to shoot down " a good reputation " and run away.

Hello ,

Understand from Boon , the Profoto technician , that you brought the compact in and , it was working .
They changed a new one for you anyway .
Would you like to comment ?
Kinda of unfair to shoot down " a good reputation " and run away.

I went away right after I put the lights down at home so I didn't come online for the past few days.

Yes, it was working on the spot when I brought it in to Shriro. I am not sure what happened, but it really didn't work after it fired the first time at home. The 'test' light didn't even light up after the first firing. I checked the connections and all, and they were fine.

The unit had a cracked protective cap. All the more it made me suspicious of it being used or dropped. When I bought the lights, testing was not permitted due to the space constraint at the shop. And so far, whatever I have bought new work well, so usually I just pick up and go.

I am impressed that Boon did change a new one for me despite showing me that it's working. I wouldn't have felt good bringing home the same unit.

Rains,

Typical Profoto value pack sets in the US are as follows:
2 x ComPact-R 300 Monolight (90-260VAC)
2 x Zoom Reflector for Profoto - 65-110 Degrees
16' Synchro Cable
2 x Light Stands
2 x Umbrellas
Soft Kit Case

I know that those in Singapore do not provide zoom reflectors.
Magnum reflectors are a premium product, I know they are only provide with the Pro Twin-Heads. The old standard zoom reflectors look like a small version of the Magnum reflector - if you look closely the Magnum edges closer to a true parabolic dish compared to the standard zoom head.

Profoto usually also gives away black-rear-covered white-reflective umbrellas. Very rarely white translucent nor silver umbrellas.

When you say 'dome' - are you referring to the modelling lamp or the glass-cover-diffuser that is fitted over the flash tube? Most Profoto heads come with a 75mm frosted glass cover uncoated. I know that the Acute and Pro heads are frosted UV coated.

Modelling lamps usually just come with a glass-shield and not double-walled.
If you require spares (no disrespect to the local Profoto distributor) you can get them from Sinter Electrical Company in Sim Lim Tower. #03-05. Bring your tube there to show them so that they can find a match.

When you collected your Compact 300 Kit, did you have a chance to test fire the heads?
I'm assuming that you went down to the store to collect it.
Firstly, is the set a used set, demo set or brand new set?
Secondly are you in Singapore or overseas?

Profoto compacts and generators & heads are rarely DOA. Check the chip or fuse - could one have blown?

Hi thanks for being so detailed. Really appreciate it. I should have checked with you before buying the kit. It would have saved me so much wonderings. I had all these questions because I always imagined that the kit would be what I saw on the bronchures or internet.

Went to shriro this morning and Pamela says that the Great D1 Offer is back for this month .

ie D1 500 $ 1830 after trade in any old studio light , get $ 700 off = $ 1130 .
D1 500 Air $ 2155 after trade in , get $ 700 off = $ 1455 . :thumbsup:
All must add 7% gst .

Thanks to this 3 guys who guided me how to use the studio lighting...
IMGP1553-crop.jpg