Buying grey set Lens in DD Electronic

How to know when these shops update their prices actually?

Not easy. Even though some lenses price went down, the speedlight went up, especially the 430exII. It was damn cheap a few weeks ago, I think $350 by cash only.

U need to check every now and then.
Not sure how their trend works.
Probably more stock less price, or according to US currency rate change?
Hmmm...

U need to check every now and then.
Not sure how their trend works.
Probably more stock less price, or according to US currency rate change?
Hmmm...

I checked. It is based on USD rate. But don't know why 430exII went up. could be due to high demand ba.

As I don't have an urgent need to buy, I am still holding my horses. USD now just below $1.28. DD price adjustment has a few days lapse. So on the day you think of buying, just do a check on the past 3-4 days rates. If it has been falling, you may just want to hold a while more, most likely the price will be adjusted downwards in no time. But if you need it urgently, then just go get the item from them. It is already quite cheap. :)

i see, its good that they provide shop warranty right :) at least that makes pple have confidence in buying from them.

DD Electronics is not just a shop in Singapore selling grey sets. They have branches in Australia and USA. So if you claim warranty, they will oblige and best of all 30 days 1to1 exchange no question asked. :cool:

After seeing the price in dd, prices of used lens at b&s seems high to me.. Thks for sharing this great site..

I have bought from DD a few times and have had no problems at all, just make sure their prices are good (cos they fluctuate, as mentioned).

To be honest, I couldn't be asked to buy from people on this forum. Their pricing makes me wonder if they actually want to sell things, and the whole "I'll report you as a lowballer" is just plain wrong. If you want to sell, sell. If you want to hold onto things for weeks while you try and get $20 more for it, then don't sell. Ok, I am generalising, but this is what I have seen a lot so far.

Well, that's what I think. When I can buy a grey item for close to forum price, I would rather buy from DD.

Now to wait for the flames to start!

Mark

I think you should not blame them. At the beginning they bought the local set at a price which is 10-30% higher than a grey set. When they want to sell, it's nothing wrong that they sell at 10-30% depreciation value, but the thing is that selling price is equal to a new grey set price. The grey set shop has opened up a window for us to grab a new gear cheaply but at the same time demolish the B&S section.
So who you want to blame?

I have bought from DD a few times and have had no problems at all, just make sure their prices are good (cos they fluctuate, as mentioned).

To be honest, I couldn't be asked to buy from people on this forum. Their pricing makes me wonder if they actually want to sell things, and the whole "I'll report you as a lowballer" is just plain wrong. If you want to sell, sell. If you want to hold onto things for weeks while you try and get $20 more for it, then don't sell. Ok, I am generalising, but this is what I have seen a lot so far.

Well, that's what I think. When I can buy a grey item for close to forum price, I would rather buy from DD.

Now to wait for the flames to start!

Mark

I agree with what you say - especially if the depreciation is around the 30% mark on goods which are in 10/10 or 9/10. However, I have seen goods in this condition which are for sale at 5-10% off new, full Singapore prices, which even without the introduction of the grey market is ridiculous.

My frustration, I suppose comes not from the pricing margins, etc... but usually the attitudes of sellers. Again, I am not talking about ridiculously low offers - because I wouldn't do that - but solid, 30% offers which get rejected and I get the whole "lowball" threat. But I suppose that's a discussion for another thread. ;)

Mark

Relax, price not right den don bother.
To each his own.
I'm sure u can find something better elsewhere:)

Well my transactions from the b&s forum have been rather smooth. Can say I've dealer with more than 10 pple and all were very smooth. They were on time, so were I and we've nv complained abt one another's product.

I agree with what you say - especially if the depreciation is around the 30% mark on goods which are in 10/10 or 9/10. However, I have seen goods in this condition which are for sale at 5-10% off new, full Singapore prices, which even without the introduction of the grey market is ridiculous.

My frustration, I suppose comes not from the pricing margins, etc... but usually the attitudes of sellers. Again, I am not talking about ridiculously low offers - because I wouldn't do that - but solid, 30% offers which get rejected and I get the whole "lowball" threat. But I suppose that's a discussion for another thread. ;)

Mark

i agree with you... some sellers dont realize that if its 2nd hand the value of the item will depreciate

now if given the choice between a brand new grey set with shop warranty and a 2nd hand local set with just a few months warranty from NSC i would go for the grey set

cause warranty only covers manufacturer defect not seller misuse...

gohjialong said:
Well my transactions from the b&s forum have been rather smooth. Can say I've dealer with more than 10 pple and all were very smooth. They were on time, so were I and we've nv complained abt one another's product.

I manage to sell what I want to sell in bns too without much issues.. And also buy wat I need in bns too.. But now got alternative plc to buy..

Astroben said:
Relax, price not right den don bother.
To each his own.
I'm sure u can find something better elsewhere:)

Yeah, most of the time I look at the price the seller put up. I will only contact the seller if I agree to the price he put up. Ortry to bargain a little, if not I'll just stick to it. No point doing the lowballing thing or whatever pple call that.

Mark

:bsmilie:

If you notice, most of the sellers in B&S did not participate in this thread at all :bsmilie::bsmilie:

And also buy wat I need in bns too.. But now got alternative plc to buy..

me too... I have been buying my lenses from BnS. No prob so far. All lenses that I had bought were in good conditions as promised. But thanks to this thread, I now know where to get my stuffs as an alternative to BnS section.

now i also know where to get my stuff instead of only BnS....:)

There are some sellers who cannot let go of their items at a loss which is too much for them... so they keep advertising over and over again... and the item is hard to sell because of the pricing. Maybe they are waiting for that 1 person who had not done enough homework, and buys from them... and once again... willing buyer, willing seller.

I have my own gauge of how much I am willing to spend on a 2nd hand item, but it may be viewed by some as lowballing. Nowadays... if I see the price is too high, I dun even bother to contact the seller.

Before DDE, I would compare the 2nd hand price with a new one from HK (as I go HK abt once a year), and if it is not a price I can accept, then I just wait for my HK trip... but now, there is DDE :)

Like what some of you have mentioned... why buy a 2nd hand hand lens at the same price of higher than a brand new grey set? And some of the 2nd hand pieces do not even have warranty.

As for Sigma & Tokina I dun mind pay a bit more for local set due to longer warranty period.

Just saw someone advertised a Nikon 85mm f1.4D with warranty at SGD1700 :sweat:
I can buy from artworkfoto at SGD1370 only.