Buying Camera...need ALL our help...pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Guardian_Zio~

Jul 20, 2006
Singapore
Hi all...

I am hoping to buy a new camera during the comex show coming up...

Any recommendation ?

My budget will be ard $500...( but if a DSLR camera is what you all recommend, I dun mind paying more)

I know there are features like, Smile, Blink, face detection, anti blur...etc...
Any other important features is a must ?

How is a high end compact camera compared to a low end DSLR camera ?

And I want a camera that uses AA battery, not their brand de that is so inconvenient if suddenly no batt...

Last edited:
First up, a question; What are you planning to use the camera for?

Purchasing a compact camera, all you get is a camera. Purchasing a budget DSLR, you're investing in a system with changeable lenses.

I'd say, Canon EOS 1000D or Nikon D60 would be good, if not a little too expensive for you.

Dslrs are better due to the bigger sensor, so there is more detail and less depth of field (means more background is blurred if conditions are ideal) and better noise control.

Oh, and megapixels don't matter.

If you're just going to be taking snapshots of your family, definitely get a compact camera. If you're going to travel and stuff, or you're seriously interested in the art of using DSLRs, obviously, get a dslr =)

Last edited:
First up, a question; What are you planning to use the camera for?

Basically for everything, it doesnt hurt to own a DSLR cam to just take a pic wit family members, ppl... becos when i am overseas, I think a DSLR will be better to take pictures of the memorable pictures rite ?

Purchasing a compact camera, all you get is a camera. Purchasing a budget DSLR, you're investing in a system with changeable lenses.

I'd say, Canon EOS 1000D or Nikon D60 would be good, if not a little too expensive for you.

Dslrs are better due to the bigger sensor, so there is more detail and less depth of field (means more background is blurred if conditions are ideal) and better noise control.

Oh, and megapixels don't matter.

If you're just going to be taking snapshots of your family, definitely get a compact camera. If you're going to travel and stuff, or you're seriously interested in the art of using DSLRs, obviously, get a dslr =)

what is the Market Price of Canon EOS 1000D & Nikon D60 ?

oh ya and u mention mega pixels doesnt matter, what u mean ? I read that it doesnt mean the higher the MP, the better right ? in fact there is a con to high high MP :dunno:

I really dun mind investing, its like i buy a compact camera den every other yr i have to purchase a new one due to the fast pace technology...add up the prices goes up, same as buying a DSLRs..

Last edited:

oh ya and u mention mega pixels doesnt matter, what u mean ? I read that it doesnt mean the higher the MP, the better right ? in fact there is a con to high high MP :dunno:

I really dun mind investing, its like i buy a compact camera den every other yr i have to purchase a new one due to the fast pace technology...add up the prices goes up, same as buying a DSLRs..

Higher MPs are good if you want to crop your photos or if you are printing large photos e.g. 8R, A4, A3 sizes.

Even if technology goes up, it doesn't mean you have to buy new cameras. You old and outdated digicam can still take good pics if you know how to take them.

For DSLRs, they have excellent noise control compared to digicams due to their larger sensors and much better quality add on lenses. However, do note the trade offs that you will have to make when changing to a DSLR.

1) Body is much heavier. EOS 1KD is probably ard 500g.
2) More expensive and heavier lens. Kit lens for EOS 1KD is already around 300g.

So basically you are looking at a weight of at least 1kg with Cam, battery and kit lens. So you do have to consider whether you want to lug this weight around with you everytime you go out or go for a holiday.

Last edited:
If I may, here is one commom misconception:

A dSLR will give you better pictures.​

This is mostly true, but not always true. If you know how to use a camera, it will give you good results, within its (and your) ability.

Something to chew on. :)

Higher MPs are good if you want to crop your photos or if you are printing large photos e.g. 8R, A4, A3 sizes.

Even if technology goes up, it doesn't mean you have to buy new cameras. You old and outdated digicam and still take good pics if you know how to take them.

For DSLRs, they have excellent noise control compared to digicams due to their larger sensors and much better quality add on lenses. However, do note the trade offs that you will have to make when changing to a DSLR.

1) Body is much heavier. EOS 1KD is probably ard 500g.
2) More expensive and heavier lens. Kit lens for EOS 1KD is already around 300g.

So basically you are looking at a weight of at least 1kg with Cam, battery and kit lens. So you do have to consider whether you want to lug this weight around with you everytime you go out or go for a holiday.

yup i understand the weight and bulky concerns of a DSLRs...
and the investments of changable lenses...

Well so far nobody recommend a very gd compact camera...anyone ? :thumbsup:

A few good compacts to consider:

Canon Ixus 860 IS
Canon Ixus 80 IS
Fujifilm F1000fd

I am looking for compact cameras, too, calebk, what bout F50?

sry for joining ur thread to ask, my thread at consumer forum not much replies. :S

Sony W300. Canon G9.

If you want face detection, smile shutter, etc, a DSLR is NOT for you.

This is true only when the pixel quality is good. With the tiny sensor size of today's high MP count compacts, the pixel quality is quite terrible and at best can only be blown up to 50% if you want decent quality. That's only a quarter of the MP count.. ie 10MP only give a decent 2.5MP image quality.

This is true only when the pixel quality is good. With the tiny sensor size of today's high MP count compacts, the pixel quality is quite terrible and at best can only be blown up to 50% if you want decent quality. That's only a quarter of the MP count.. ie 10MP only give a decent 2.5MP image quality.

Yes, that's very true and that why I will not be upgrading my current 2 digicams IXUS 800 & S3 which at 6MP resolution is much less than the 10 to 12MP resolutions that current digicams have.

Also another issue with the very small sensor size of digicams is that the noise performance at ISO 400 is pretty bad and at ISO 800 and above is unusuable if you are printing larger than 4R size. And this is amplified when you cramp more MPs into the same small sensor.

Basically for everything, it doesnt hurt to own a DSLR cam to just take a pic wit family members, ppl... becos when i am overseas, I think a DSLR will be better to take pictures of the memorable pictures rite ?

A DSLR gives you the option to take better pictures. Whether you're able or not is another affair.

Anyway, for a family DSLR, why not a Canon 1000D/450D with a Sigma 18-200 OS or a Canon 18-55 IS / 55-250 IS kit?

Samuel

Current price :

Nikon D60 kit > $900

Canon EOS1000D kit : $950~$990
Canon EOS450D kit : $1270

i'd say if u really going to get a DSLR, get 450D

Current price :

Nikon D60 kit > $900

Canon EOS1000D kit : $950~$990
Canon EOS450D kit : $1270

i'd say if u really going to get a DSLR, get 450D

I'd say skip C and N entirely. :)

Status