Building up of portfolio...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehe, I guess you should also heed some of your own advice :) :)

Cheers! :)

Great you seem to agree what I say but differ in your earlier statement but I do not think using food is the right way. You are trying to say the $2.50- $3 hawker food is nowhere as good as your expensive food in taste and people that eat $3 generally expect less.

its a great weekend, instead of rebutting your life in Clubsnap, why not spend some great time with your partner. Enjoy & GET A LIFE! Life is not about fighting endless battles in the court, office of on your computer in CS.

Hehe, I guess you should also heed some of your own advice :) :)

Cheers! :)

Thanks! I had a great weekend! today I bought got of stuffs for my kid, milk bottles, breast pump, cot, clothes! great dinner at Suntec, met an client on the way. Its was one of the rare saturdays off! Only manage to spend 15 mins in CS and one hour at my next watch.

Last edited:
Looks like we are on par :)

Thanks! I had a great weekend! today I bought got of stuffs for my kid, milk bottles, breast pump, cot, clothes! great dinner at Suntec, met an client on the way. Its was one of the rare saturdays off! Only manage to spend 15 mins in CS and one hour at my next watch.

Wah piangz... some of you guys got so much energy to philosophize at length whenever this senstive topic of pricing is discussed!

Personally, I think this Photo Biz forum should be closed. Every time a good question is being asked, whether by a newbie or someone who is sincere in learning, the topic inevitably will drift over to pricing and photography standards here. (The original question was on how to start a portfolio but what has it become??!) We can argue till the cows come home and there will be no fixed answers. The rules for what you should or should not do is very fuzzy.

But I do generally agree that it's over-emphasized how some photographers (especially wedding) who seem constantly to tell others how they have increased their prices and why others should do the same. Sometimes I wonder, are there any ulterior motives why they are doing this? I think, the answer is that, their fate is dependent on many of the unknown newbie photographers. Imagine, if everyone starts to charge cheaply, who will want to go to the photographer who charges a lot more but produces standards that could be only a bit higher than the average Joe?

But think about it, all you who are living the "atas" or good life: If everyone starts to increase their pricing, then who will serve the lower end market? And by lower end, I don't mean photographers who necessarily produce lower quality works. But those clients who can only afford to pay a certain amount due to their economic status.

My fianl observations are:

1. No one is going to help you much in answering good, sincere questions over in this "Photo biz" section.

2. Do whatever you want as long as it pleases you or the people you are serving.

3. At the end of the day, money is a human's best friend. I don't care how much a full time photographer can philosophize about his job and how much he loves what he is doing, only money talks. So whenever you hear a pro who says, Charge more! Think again. What is he actually saying? Is he really helping you in your passion? Or are there other ulterior motives on his part?

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Excellent observation! :bsmilie::thumbsup::thumbsup:

do you guys think i need to get a lens hood for my 18-55mm kit lens? will be using it for a very long time as i don't have the money to upgrade to the 24-70 f/2.8L

Doesn't it come with one?

do you guys think i need to get a lens hood for my 18-55mm kit lens? will be using it for a very long time as i don't have the money to upgrade to the 24-70 f/2.8L

Wah piangz... some of you guys got so much energy to philosophize at length whenever this senstive topic of pricing is discussed!

Personally, I think this Photo Biz forum should be closed. Every time a good question is being asked, whether by a newbie or someone who is sincere in learning, the topic inevitably will drift over to pricing and photography standards here. (The original question was on how to start a portfolio but what has it become??!) We can argue till the cows come home and there will be no fixed answers. The rules for what you should or should not do is very fuzzy.

But I do generally agree that it's over-emphasized how some photographers (especially wedding) who seem constantly to tell others how they have increased their prices and why others should do the same. Sometimes I wonder, are there any ulterior motives why they are doing this? I think, the answer is that, their fate is dependent on many of the unknown newbie photographers. Imagine, if everyone starts to charge cheaply, who will want to go to the photographer who charges a lot more but produces standards that could be only a bit higher than the average Joe?

But think about it, all you who are living the "atas" or good life: If everyone starts to increase their pricing, then who will serve the lower end market? And by lower end, I don't mean photographers who necessarily produce lower quality works. But those clients who can only afford to pay a certain amount due to their economic status.

My fianl observations are:

1. No one is going to help you much in answering good, sincere questions over in this "Photo biz" section.

2. Do whatever you want as long as it pleases you or the people you are serving.

3. At the end of the day, money is a human's best friend. I don't care how much a full time photographer can philosophize about his job and how much he loves what he is doing, only money talks. So whenever you hear a pro who says, Charge more! Think again. What is he actually saying? Is he really helping you in your passion? Or are there other ulterior motives on his part?

You are correct. It should be closed, cos many comes in here to seek free advice and ask about pricing, portfolio or how as a newbie can he/she starts earning $ form his camera etc. same old questions again and again.

1. Why would a full time photog spend his time here, teaching or giving free advice tp someone whom he/she has never met or have any clue who the poster is or relate to.
Not that it is also appreciated, 9 out of 10 times the poster (in CS) would just disappear and not ever bother to type a word of thanks here.

2. The pro would have better spend his time, pitching for jobs or looking at ways to better his own portfolio.

3. If he/she wants to teach then might as well offers courses and learn from it. After all many pro do that too, like workshop , masterclass or even speaking engagement..

4. Many a time the pro would rather groom or teach his/her assistant (who gain their confident) at least they know who they are teaching or giving advice to. This also help have built a good working relationship or even forge some friendship.

5. Do not expect one to reveal pricing here inn public - there are competitors, clients and potential clients here in CS. Would a pro wants to publicly announce his pricing? Some would many don't. Services and commodity or different, unlike commodity, for services prices do vary alot. Some may charge $3k for a day shoot, while some charges $1k for a day shoot (just a ballpark figure).

Unlike part timer and moonlighter, a full time photog has only ONE source of income ie from photography, so must he protects its little secrets in making his business work? - I would think so and there is nothing wrong about it.

Whereas as a part-timer and moonlighter he/she no need to worry if there is no photography assignment. Cos he/she has a monthly paying full time job to sustain him/her.

Back to the subject of building portfolio.

1. Have a clear theme and aim of what type of portfolio you want people to see you as - an event photographer, wedding photographer etc ? then go for it -
In the beginning, I never did it for free - but willing to take low paying assignment for the appropriate portfolio eg: for events go to RCs, CCs, temple and Associations type of job - got VVIP better. Tagg along or assist a pro as second photog.

Take on jobs as photog assistant (not "assistant photog" if you are a noob) learn the work flow, lighting etc soon you can become asst photog and slowly progress.

2. When out on your own look for subjects that can help you with your Portfolio which you have earlier decided - (no point going for XMM shoots etc unless you want to be a XMM photog) - shoot with a portfolio in mind.

After when you become more establish - then let the clients pay for your portfolio (cos portfolio need to be updated all the time)

When doing low paying job or otherwise, also shoot with passion and committment, cos it will show in your pictures.

Shoot for free - my personal experience is I never had to do it (except for Children Cancer Society(images cannot use for portfolio) and SPCA some time back - more as part of charity work) - I have been in full time biz for more than 6 years (from a newbie) and see my portfolio - not the best but quite ok - to earn a decent income actually.

Last edited:
Doesn't it come with one?

nah i don't. it doesn't come with it. not L lens leh. anyway i was snooping around the net. kinda wondering if its more worth it to buy the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM or EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM. The former doesn't have IS but has a larger aperture. So does that mean that having a larger aperture, IS isn't needed?

Oh I see, not familiar with Canons. For Nikons, even kit lenses come with hoods (at least the only kit lens I ever owned, 18-70).

nah i don't. it doesn't come with it. not L lens leh. anyway i was snooping around the net. kinda wondering if its more worth it to buy the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM or EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM. The former doesn't have IS but has a larger aperture. So does that mean that having a larger aperture, IS isn't needed?

You are so correct, and this is the tried and tested truth. Only aberration are some pros (not you of course) who consistently tell others to raise pricing, and then start to quote their own rates as an example of increased pricing.

Real or not, or just to affect the industry perception (just like how people release rumours to affect stock market); that's for each individual reader to judge for themselves :)

5. Do not expect one to reveal pricing here inn public - there are competitors, clients and potential clients here in CS. Would a pro wants to publicly announce his pricing? Some would many don't. Services and commodity or different, unlike commodity, for services prices do vary alot. Some may charge $3k for a day shoot, while some charges $1k for a day shoot (just a ballpark figure).

i've been told by some people that my 18-55mm kit lens aren't up to standard of taking wedding/events photography. i really wonder, then which lens shld i go get cuz i'm using a 50D body.

1. Why would a full time photog spend his time here, teaching or giving free advice tp someone whom he/she has never met or have any clue who the poster is or relate to.
Not that it is also appreciated, 9 out of 10 times the poster (in CS) would just disappear and not ever bother to type a word of thanks here.

Well I rest my case.

4 post after this, the TS replied or OT on two of the lastest post. Did he bothered to even reply or show any appreciation for the above reply, with suggestion at the last para of my post? None what so ever. A waste effort and time on this thread.

i've been told by some people that my 18-55mm kit lens aren't up to standard of taking wedding/events photography. i really wonder, then which lens shld i go get cuz i'm using a 50D body.

if we listened to everyone else in life, it would be a sad thing.

there are people who produce good shots with the kit lens for wedding, or other branches of photography. yes, you will be limited, but that doesn't mean you can't produce anything with it, syaing that it is "not up to standard" is nonsense.

but go ahead, think of equipment to get.. this is the usual cs disease anyways.. thinking that equipment gives better pictures, with better standards etc.. instead of working within the current constraints.. it is as if spending money is the universal solution..

if you don't know how to use your equipment, you spend millions, also not up to standard.

Well I rest my case.

4 post after this, the TS replied or OT on two of the lastest post. Did he bothered to even reply or show any appreciation for the above reply, with suggestion at the last para of my post? None what so ever. A waste effort and time on this thread.

I am sure there are people out there who appreciate your advices and inputs.

TS probably more interested in getting lens hood and upgrading his lens.

Maybe it is time to close the thread.

After reading thru this thread... Wah, times have changed huh. Gone were the days when long drawn advice was given freely and taken appreciatively. But I guess the ways and attitudes of us who ask killed much of it in the first place.

That aside, TS needs to have some focus. Building portfolio is about knowing what you want, then narrowing down on that. Unless you're extremely talented, you shouldn't be going around taking photos of anything and everything that comes your way. Be selective, zoom in on the type of opportunities you want, and then go searching for them. E.g., if you know you want to shoot weddings, then you have no purpose going to shoot events or roadshows. Sure, you might think it nets you some practice, but end of the day, you still get nothing in your portfolio book that you can show a client, so better to have invest time and energy elsewhere instead.

Well I rest my case.

hey im really sorry. but none of u wasted effort. i can't be possibly replying each and everyone of you out there. i do take in all comments, nasty or not. i do read all posts. i'm cool with taking nasty comments too. chill ya? its not that im not appreciative or too caught up with what lens i should use etc. i simply zoom in on things quickly as lots of thoughts are running thru my head and i dun have enuff time as im in NS right now. sorry if i've offended or upset anybody.

my aim is to build up a portfolio of events and weddings that i would want to show to clients in future. my interest isn't to steal any businesses but to learn and feed myself thru out my uni days before i get a job related to my degree. i chose photography because i have a diploma related to it and i love it. i love weddings and doing wedding photography/videography.

thanks.

Auden,

Dun waste money getting hood for yr kit 18-55. save the money for better lens. This kit lens is good enuff for commercial use, just that, imo, its not wide enuff. and for focal lengths up to 70mm, normally dun need IS (unless yr hands tremble a bit).

Since u using 50D, yr 18-55 may not be wide enuff for wedding shoots, but then again, one man's meat is another's poison.

Auden,

Dun waste money getting hood for yr kit 18-55. save the money for better lens. This kit lens is good enuff for commercial use, just that, imo, its not wide enuff. and for focal lengths up to 70mm, normally dun need IS (unless yr hands tremble a bit).

Since u using 50D, yr 18-55 may not be wide enuff for wedding shoots, but then again, one man's meat is another's poison.

thanks for the advice. i've decided not to waste money buying hood for the kit lens. for 50D...wad kinda lens do you think i'd need for AD wedding shoots? 10-22?

I bought a 18-55mm lens hood for 10 bucks. Not a big loss and it makes the lens look slightly better. Try mass sales.

Btw, are you by any chance related to a CSer by the name of SuccessEnroute?

I bought a 18-55mm lens hood for 10 bucks. Not a big loss and it makes the lens look slightly better. Try mass sales.

Btw, are you by any chance related to a CSer by the name of SuccessEnroute?

no i'm not. haha ok maybe i'll juz check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.