Bubbling Blabber...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I'm scared my answer is really lame.... I just thot of it this morning!

beivied said:
Happy Chinese New Year!!!

Zhu Da Jia

Nian Nian You Da Yu Xiao Yu

Every Dive got Beautiful Nudibranches

Every Trip got Wonderful Photos

Gong Xi Gong Xi!!!!

:cheergal: :cheers:

sorry it may be a bit late.. but thanks.. was very very busy at that time..!!!!:)

siaoon said:
hoho.... suddenly remembered.. yesterday was WAISJ Bday.....

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, J!!!
May u able to find a nice nice angmo gf over there... :D

Thanks mate!!!!!:heart:

From last Friday news:
got this extract from another forum. i think as divers (and a lot of us local divers) we should be updated and response to this event

The Straits Times 31 Mar 06
First step to create marine sanctuary on Pulau Hantu
by Tania Tan

CONSERVATIONISTS hoping to create a marine sanctuary on Pulau Hantu have embarked on the first step - taking an underwater census of the marine and coral life around the southern islet.

As one of the few dive sites open to the public, the 12.4ha Pulau Hantu was chosen because of its size which would allow it to support the proposed sanctuary.

The Singapore Environment Council (SEC) yesterday announced the launch of Project Noah (Nurturing Our Aquatic Heritage), the largest census of marine biodiversity undertaken here.

The environmental stocktaking of about 32 sq km along the perimeter of Pulau Hantu begins in May and will involve up to 20 volunteer divers and almost 400 individual dives. It will take up to six months for divers to survey the area around Pulau Hantu, a popular haunt for campers and snorkelers about 15 minutes by speedboat south-east of Sentosa.

Explaining the importance of the census, Mr Sydney Chew, an avid diver who conceived the project, said: 'We need to know what we have before we know what to protect.' Mr Chew, 43, said he had 'dreamed of showcasing Singapore's rich marine biodiversity.'

At a media conference yesterday, he appealed for volunteer divers and corporate sponsors. 'We hope that we can help shape the future of these reefs.' said the former president of the Singapore Underwater Federation.

The divers, however, face a difficult task because of poor visibility caused by silt suspended in the water. It can be so bad that 'you have to bump into coral to notice them', said Project Noah manager Spencer Lewis.

Plans are under way to create a simple sand filtration system to eliminate most of the sediment from the water flowing into the lagoon, creating a clear water habitat.

The SEC's $100,000 census is the first phase of what it hopes will lead to the creation of a marine sanctuary nestled within the lagoon of Pulau Hantu.

Phases two and three will involve a similar census of other reefs scattered around Singapore and the long-term implementation of programmes to educate the public.

Mr Chew emphasised that 'the lagoon isn't just for divers', saying: 'It's for anyone who wants to get wet and enjoy our marine life.'

Also speaking at the media conference, the president of the Nature Society of Singapore, Nominated Member of Parliament Geh Min, lauded the effort. She said a nation's 'true progress' is measured by how well it balances its natural heritage with industrial development.

'Project Noah is an attempt to show that we can have it all - a successful port, industries and nature.'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today Online 31 Mar 06
Preserving undersea treasures
Cheow Xin Yi

Singapore is well established in the world as the "little red dot" with many firsts.

Unknown to most Singaporeans, however, is the fact that the waters off the island also sustain some of the most biologically-diverse natural reefs in the world.

But Singapore's coral reefs are threatened by economic developments such as land reclamation projects.

In a bid to protect this hidden treasure trove, a group of marine scientists, dive professionals and environmentalists have embarked on a marine conservation project. The Singapore Underwater Federation is planning an ambitious project, called Nurturing Our Aquatic Heritage (Noah), which aims to build a coral reef in the lagoon at Pulau Hantu.

They are also planning to move corals from other reefs to the island.

While there have been other conservation efforts, this is the biggest and most ambitious project to date, with funds of up to $100,000 provided by sponsors. The project will end in 2008.

Channel NewsAsia 30 Mar 06
Singapore Underwater Federation to build coral reef at Pulau Hantu
By Sharon See, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : Divers may have every reason to rejoice. The Singapore Underwater Federation is looking into developing a coral reef on the southern island of Pulau Hantu.

Contrary to common belief, Singapore has natural reefs on its offshore islands.

And the Singapore Underwater Federation is planning an ambitious project, called NOAH for Nurturing Our Aquatic Heritage, which aims to build a coral reef in the lagoon enclosed by Pulau Hantu.

They are also planning to move corals from other reefs to the island.

Mr Sydney Chew, Member of Singapore Underwater Federation, says: "Everybody that's involved in this project, from the engineers to the scientists, as well as conservationists have said it's doable, so I believe it is very possible that we can get this project on the road."

For the next few months, they will first conduct studies on the reefs around Pulau Hantu with a budget of $100,000.

Dr Geh Min, President of the Nature Society, says much can be done in marine conservation, and the young should be roped in to learn this lesson. She says: "What I hope is that as the project proceeds, young Singaporeans will not be just spectators, they can actually participate. I think this is very important. If you want to use nature as a teacher, taking a specimen into a classroom is very different from taking the student going out into a nature area. "

Project NOAH is expected to be completed by 2008.

what do you guys think?

erhhemm.. ya has not been posting for quite some time.. ;p

hmm.. this seems interesting.. was quite delighted to know abt the project..
the idea of having crystal clear dive in hantu seem like heaven to me..!! ;p

but worry abt a few issues here.. -- > They are also planning to move corals from other reefs to the island.

where r they going to get the corals from? can they adapt to the new environment?? hmm..

seems a bit MANMADE to me if they going to "CREATE" a nice hantu.. for that.. i rather to dive in the most natural environment as possible. :(

hmm and how abt the existing reefs?? r they going to "temporary" relocate them b4 they start the project? i'm worry that they juz going to pour sand or wat over the existing one.. juz like how they create man made lagoon....

anyway.. is it possible to do relocation of reef? will it affect the eco system?? and in the end kill more.. rather than save more...

anyone know more details?? i dun wan my playground to be destroyed.. :( :(

There maybe many issues about this project, but the 1 thing I am thinking is, since it is going to be a lagoon with filtration system, introduced animals and plants, it will be just like a giant fish tank like Underwater World. Do we need another 1 of those? And there is nothing natural about it.

actually just wondering....will it be the more we try to help, the more harm we are doing to it?

staad3 said:
actually just wondering....will it be the more we try to help, the more harm we are doing to it?

i wonder if the ultimate aim is really to protect it. why would you construct a marine sanctuary so small, and ignore the rest just outside the lagoon? from what i know, filtering the sedimentation out from the lagoon into the sea just outside it, may do harm to the recovering natural reefs just outside, which we know some parts are pretty healthy. and why build reefs in the lagoon, why not protect what is already inside, and outside?

Good question

Call me cynical, but clear or clearer waters in Singapore could be an interesting business opportunity for the local shops. Nothing against bringing in the business community for reef conservation, as long as reef conservation is the first objective.

I therefore feel we have to follow this project with a healthy dose of suspicion/criticism. At first it looks like a good idea, but e.g. relocating coral has as far as I know not a high success rate. Also having been involved in similar attempts in fresh water lakes, this requires a full-time commitment. By the time you think you understand your mini habitat, nature surprises you again.

I hope the people behind project Noah will have an open communication on their plans and even more important get those people involved who have been doing research in the Singapore waters for years.

beivied said:
i wonder if the ultimate aim is really to protect it. why would you construct a marine sanctuary so small, and ignore the rest just outside the lagoon? from what i know, filtering the sedimentation out from the lagoon into the sea just outside it, may do harm to the recovering natural reefs just outside, which we know some parts are pretty healthy. and why build reefs in the lagoon, why not protect what is already inside, and outside?

Hi,

for those who are interested and want to know more, there will be a public presentation on Project NOAH by the conservation group of Nature Society of Singapore (NSS) on 12th April 06 at 7.30pm at NSS's office.

Details of NSS:

ADDRESS:
510 Geylang Road
#02-05 The Sunflower
Singapore 389466

TEL: (65) 6741 2036
FAX: (65) 6741 0871
EMAIL: contact@nss.org.sg

Also, to find out more on Pulau Hantu and Project NOAH issues, visit this site:
http://www.wildsingapore.com/places/hantunoah.htm

some divers went for the NSS meeting, and posted their comments on the localdivers yahoo group. if you are interested to read about it, pls see here

regular updates by Ria Tan on www.wildsingapore.com

anyone else went for the meeting? what are the issues clarified (or not clarified) in the meeting? and your comments?

Unfortunately could not attend the meeting, but if I read the report by Debby on her blog (http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/news/pulauhantu/2006/04/nss-conservation-chat-discusses.html). I'm getting more and more the feeling this is not about reef conservation, but all about possible business opportunities.

What is going to happen when business is not as good as the investors are now hoping for? :think:

seriously im not comfortable with the project, especially with the people heading this project.

It probably will do more harm then good, probably using the fund to do more awareness and clean up projects to get singaporeans to be more involved in their own backyard. Most of them have totally no idea that you can actually dive in singapore waters.

Anyway im against it.. doesn't make sense at all.

Maybe some of you will be interested in this Digital Duo Seminar organised by FINS. I see it as a good opportunity to listen to E Cheng and Tony Wu, these two renowned photographers and learn something or mix around :)

who's going to adex? can meet up those with names but no faces to it yet, hehe... i will be at White Manta's booth on Sunday :) Lanxx and lovells19 will be at Oly's booth.

Scoobakev?

what is the 2 of them doing at Oly booth when they have fuji cams? :sweatsm:

kthan said:
what is the 2 of them doing at Oly booth when they have fuji cams? :sweatsm:

When the Oly guy i'm speaking to introduce himself as levells19,I also asked myself the same question :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.