bomb shelters in HDB flats - how do they work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually come to think of it, these new blocks of flats have columns of reinforced bomb shelters through every individual units. Does this make the whole block of flat stronger and less likely to crumple if bombed? Just a passing thought.

During War time, it is a hanging coffin.

During peace time:
-It is a great place to lock out naughty children.
-Also a provide a great escape from nagging wife or in-laws firing mortar shell at you.

Actually come to think of it, these new blocks of flats have columns of reinforced bomb shelters through every individual units. Does this make the whole block of flat stronger and less likely to crumple if bombed? Just a passing thought.

that makes sense

that makes sense

During War time, it is a hanging coffin.

During peace time:
-It is a great place to lock out naughty children.
-Also a provide a great escape from nagging wife or in-laws firing mortar shell at you.

i also believe that there is some kind of international agreement about not targeting civilians

i also believe that there is some kind of international agreement about not targeting civilians

not targeting is one thing, not getting hit is another, considering the number of high rise apartments here.

the last para of the first link is weird...
you spent good money for your house but yet not able to do anything to that shelter.

while i understand that some hdb rules are meant for safety for other dwellers, i dont understand why can't you renovate your OWN shelter?

the last para of the first link is weird...
you spent good money for your house but yet not able to do anything to that shelter.

while i understand that some hdb rules are meant for safety for other dwellers, i dont understand why can't you renovate your OWN shelter?

Like the other structural components of the flat, the reinforced walls, floor tiles, ceiling and steel door of the store/pantry cannot be hacked or drilled during any renovation works.

Certain finishes and fixtures are not permitted as they are not easily removable before an emergency. These may instead become hazards when you need to occupy the shelter during an emergency. Lighting, power point, telephone point and MATV outlet are also provided within the shelter so that you can still communicate with the outside world.

what's so wierd about it? it only says certain finishes and fixtures, not all. in any case, the entire HS is a structural component of the building, you wouldn't want your flat to collapse because someone downstairs hacked a big hole in the shelter do you?

remember a few year ago, a reno concentrator hack a wall down in a HDB unit at Toa Payoh, the whole block of residents have to evacuate.

anyway, most people use it for store room, what kind of renovation work you want to do your store room? gold plated door knob?? crystal ceiling lights?

remember a few year ago, a reno concentrator hack a wall down in a HDB unit at Toa Payoh, the whole block of residents have to evacuate.

anyway, most people use it for store room, what kind of renovation work you want to do your store room? gold plated door knob?? crystal ceiling lights?

Install aircon can?

as long your fixtures will not weaken the structure, and it is not permanent, it is acceptable.

in simple words: split unit can, window unit can not. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.