Best lens cleaning solvent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slooow

Feb 12, 2006
i can buy discounted 100% or 99.99% pure solvents ["i can buy" means "i buy", not "steal from where i work":bsmilie: ]

-isopropanol [aka isopropyl alcohol]
-ethanol
-methanol

but after reading so many articles, i am confused which is best...

can you all kindly advice? cos i know these solvents will leave a haze and require second or third cleaning...

some website say these solvents too strong...
some website say these solvents must be as pure as possible...

means what? means i get 100% pure and dilute in DI water [or RO water] to form 70% strength but stil pure?

Pure? maybe it refers to 'no contaminants'? :dunno:
If you buy directly from chemical supplier, usually it'll be stated on the bottle label as "assay" in terms of % wt or vol contaminants.
Usually the chemicals comes in differrent grades, depending on how 'pure' it is. The higher the grade, the purer it is (and of coz the more expensive it'll be).

I'd tried Isopropanol (97%), A.R. grade (analytical grade) and it works pretty well for me. :thumbsup:

but be careful of storage, it is highly flammabble! :sweat:

thanks msbunny:)

so... did it leave a layer of residue on the lens? something milky... like hazy feeling...

Pure? maybe it refers to 'no contaminants'? :dunno:
If you buy directly from chemical supplier, usually it'll be stated on the bottle label as "assay" in terms of % wt or vol contaminants.
Usually the chemicals comes in differrent grades, depending on how 'pure' it is. The higher the grade, the purer it is (and of coz the more expensive it'll be).

I'd tried Isopropanol (97%), A.R. grade (analytical grade) and it works pretty well for me. :thumbsup:

but be careful of storage, it is highly flammabble! :sweat:

;p ;p hmmmm.....

eh.. i thought is just buy the ready-made cleaning solution. can DIY? isit safe?

i use either 99.99% meth or eth, tried isoprop ... works ok .. but i prefer meth or eth ...

thanks msbunny:)

so... did it leave a layer of residue on the lens? something milky... like hazy feeling...

so far i don't see any residue on the lens. I use together with my fingers, lint-free tissue and/or a micro cloth for lens. even if I don't wipe it away immediately, the isopropanol will just evaporate away very fast (coz highly volatile, unless it's very diluted). :sweatsm:

eh.. i thought is just buy the ready-made cleaning solution. can DIY? isit safe?

most ready-made cleaning solutions contains the alcohol solvent mentioned by SLOOOW as the main ingredients in the solution. That's why I'd thought of using the purer form myself after I'd realised that.

so far so good. :thumbsup:

I won't say it's safe if you are buying the solution in big bulk. coz it's really highly flammable!!! :sweat:

normally, i use a air blower followed by vapour and wipe it with lens tissue..

So which one is the best or are they all about the same?

Also, where can we buy these solvents? Any idea of prices?

TIA:thumbsup:

hmmmm maybe i am picky but i shine a halogen bulb on the top of the lens and i see something milky... blur blur... and be wiped further though...

Lens need solvent to clean meh?:think: :dunno:

hmmmm maybe i am picky but i shine a halogen bulb on the top of the lens and i see something milky... blur blur... and be wiped further though...

Skali you wiped off your lens coating. :sweat:

The best is pure water vapour (ie using your breath). No danger of removing lens coating, available for free, easy to apply very evenly, no storage problems, no danger of running out when needed crucially.

As someone mentioned, use blower first. Then apply water vapour. Wipe off with clean microfibre cloth. Repeat as often as necessary. Spotless.

Only one thing to watch out for: DO NOT DO THIS IN SUBZERO WEATHER. You will end up with an ice-fogged lens. Instant soft focus effect. Try wiping off the ice crystals and you will probably scratch the lens surface. If you forget and accidentally blow water vapour on your cold lens, the only thing to do is go indoors and let the lens warm up to allow the ice to melt before wiping off.

Been there, done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.