Bangkok, Ratchaburi & Kanchanaburi (28-31 March 12)

tormont

Apr 4, 2010
East
This trip is the 1st time my wife and I stepped on the ground of Thailand. My wife did the planning and she said we should go out of the city for sightseeing. So, we did not do the usual shopping. Instead, we hired a private guide and drove us.
The itineraries are as followed:

Day 1: Around Platinum Mall, Central World
Day 2: Ratchaburi & Kanchanaburi
Day 3: Bangkok city, Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Flower market, Chinatown etc.
Day 4: Lucky Buddha Scam

Here are some the photos that I would like to share.

The traffic of Bangkok
7058687257_6f619dacd8_z.jpg

Our bus was stuck in the jam on arrival at the Bangkok city area for appx 2hr+. Traffic control was bad, kinda like "Bo Cheng Hu". I probably won't drive here as I don't have the patient. As a pedestrian, I had a hard time crossing the so called zebra crossing as none of the vehicles will stop for you. It really has one of the worst traffic in the world.

Pratunam Wholesale market area
7058692353_77cfbe1027_z.jpg

Pratunam market is on the left (Pink tents). On the bottom left, you can see some motorcyclist in orange vest. These are the motorcycle taxis, which can get you to your destination on time during heavy traffic jams.

At night, after window shopped through Platinum Mall, we crossed the bridge and head to Central World. The crowd outside Central World was horrible, especially on a Wednesday night. Why?
Big Bang was having an outdoor concert there!!! The Thais are really crazy over K'pop. They can even sing Korean. :sweat: It was tough getting through the massive crowd into the mall. Didn't bother to take out my camera and shot as i was sandwiched by so many sweaty people.

Outside Istean were two altars. Luckily, it was not crowded. However, even at night there are still many offerings and joss sticks.
6912612632_6825bdb8a7_z.jpg

A "Zi Char" beside Central World.
6912616516_ed67b78c46_z.jpg

hope u enjoyed your 1st trip to thailand lol.

where did you get your private guide from, hope it wasn't from the streets.

hope u enjoyed your 1st trip to thailand lol.

where did you get your private guide from, hope it wasn't from the streets.

aha not from the street. I email her and make an arrangement before going over. You can google ratservice.

hope u enjoyed your first trip.

i am quite familiar with Bangkok having been there a couple of times (even way back in 1998!).

actually its very easy to take their mrt service to navigate around Bangkok, surprisingly, its cheap, fast and efficient too (their mrt dun stalls like ours)!

aha not from the street. I email her and make an arrangement before going over. You can google ratservice.

oh thats good. review on their service & price ?

hope u enjoyed your first trip.

i am quite familiar with Bangkok having been there a couple of times (even way back in 1998!).

actually its very easy to take their mrt service to navigate around Bangkok, surprisingly, its cheap, fast and efficient too (their mrt dun stalls like ours)!

haha ya. only thing is super packed when knock off time!! somemore the length of the train is smaller (?) compared to here.

I'm heading up to bkk again end of the month, bringing my gf her first time there. lol

Service i would say 10/10. The auntie is actually a retired tour guide from agency. Now she open her own Bed & breakfast and drive taxi part time. She would bring u around with her taxi. Day 2 i pay her 4500baht (inclusive additional 1000 baht for the gasoline) travel out of bangkok to Ratchaburi and Kanchanburi and back to bangkok. 5am to 10pm. Didn't bargain as i think her service is good. But from the way she ask for the price you can bargain if you want. Day 3 around bangkok city, i took her service again from 9am to 10pm+. Cost me 2500baht.

Cold drinks are provided in her car boot. She would help you carry water around and also explain history and general knowledge as you walk. She even took an umbrella and sheltered me and my camera gear when i was shooting in the drizzle. Foremost, she can help you bargain for thai price instead of tourist price at some places. Sometime i think she is too enthu in photography than me as she keep asking me shoot this angle shoot from here when i was damned too tired already.Will look for her again when i going to Ayutthaya nxt time.

Last edited:
Mae Klong Railway station at 6.10am
7058708855_4831df6b57_z.jpg

The 1st stop of the day was Mae Klong situated in Ratchaburi. The market opens at 3am and the stall will close after they sold off their goods.

Things you can find in the market
6912629568_93cc18267b_z.jpg

7058716063_67d050e104_z.jpg

This fishmonger quickly pose for me when I aimed my camera at his stall. They are really friendly and not camera shy
7058724151_57f85be0fc_z.jpg

See the price are written in both Thai and numeric. My guide told me that for some items, the Thai words are local price. So if you understand and can read Thai you pay cheaper.
7058733515_401541905e_z.jpg

Last edited:
Service i would say 10/10. The auntie is actually a retired tour guide from agency. Now she open her own Bed & breakfast and drive taxi part time. She would bring u around with her taxi. Day 2 i pay her 4500baht (inclusive additional 1000 baht for the gasoline) travel out of bangkok to Ratchaburi and Kanchanburi and back to bangkok. 5am to 10pm. Didn't bargain as i think her service is good. But from the way she ask for the price you can bargain if you want. Day 3 around bangkok city, i took her service again from 9am to 10pm+. Cost me 2500baht.

Cold drinks are provided in her car boot. She would help you carry water around and also explain history and general knowledge as you walk. She even took an umbrella and sheltered me and my camera gear when i was shooting in the drizzle. Foremost, she can help you bargain for thai price instead of tourist price at some places. Sometime i think she is too enthu in photography than me as she keep asking me shoot this angle shoot from here when i was damned too tired already.Will look for her again when i going to Ayutthaya nxt time.

fwah that's pretty steep bro.

5500 baht = 220 SGD there abouts right?

4500baht = less than 180SGD, not 5500baht. and is appx more than 6hr drive

4500baht = less than 180SGD, not 5500baht. and is appx more than 6hr drive

oops i included another 1000 for gas which i misread.

anyway u got some nice coverage :)

6.20am The train is coming!!!
7058742653_b31887ec97_z.jpg

The locals have to do this 8x a day. Wow... this is truly an unique scene. Must see in Thailand.

6912663456_ef5abaf9b2_z.jpg

Standby and .....
6912666658_8f8eb7165e_z.jpg

action! They were too fast for me and my camera... coz i got caught up more on the train.
6912674356_a507ec38bd_z.jpg

7058783425_e3facd3546_z.jpg

Guess what type of eggs are the pink ones?

Last edited:
After the market tour, we had our breakfast at the roadside. This stall sells pork intestine porridge. Really yummy! The thai love to add sugar to their food, so this porridge some might find it too sweet.
6912707008_fb6b7b64e8_z.jpg

Monks will come out at 6am and walk the streets barefooted. Local will make merit to them and the monks will return to the temple at 8am to have breakfast together. These food will also last them till lunch.
7058811919_96e18210f6_z.jpg

Two young monks

After Mae Klong, we travel about 20-30min to Amapwa. Amapwa river market only operates from Fri to Sun. Our purpose for this trip was not the market, but to see the monk rowing his canoe along the river while the locals make merit.
6912731198_c5ab36083e_z.jpg

No monk was spotted, only a auntie selling fruits.

7058820823_61efaca669_z.jpg

A tranquil Ampawa on a Thur morning.

This is how the locals wash their clothes. They even bath in this river.
6912751658_edea0e6e99_z.jpg

Sleepy dogs at Ampawa
6912760220_5f6389cd8c_z.jpg

ChababaanCham Resort Entrance, kinda like leading me to a garden wonderland. You may want to check this resort out when you wanna stay overnight.
7058871797_dc4c987955_z.jpg

After 45min at Ampawa, still no sign of the monk. sobz sobz. Guess we don't have the luck. The villagers who we spoke to, said that he has not been seen for the past 2 days. Might be ill or travel to somewhere else.

Not far away from Ampawa, is the Damnoensaduakng floating market.
7058907635_58931194c3_z.jpg

Our 1st stop at this area was the temple. No idea what this Wat is called? Try google but still couldn't find it's name. If anyone knew it, kindly enlighten me.

My wife making merit to the monk and the monk chant and bless her.
7058902415_d3cc923860_z.jpg

Coins that the locals placed on the elephant/buddha for blessing was collected.
6912829044_212b0cc88f_z.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting travel pic to share, it brings back old memories of my trip there, thanks