Bali - what to take note of

Status
Not open for further replies.
SniperD said:
definitely have to go ubud... seems to ve a lot of haspenings there... :D

If you intend to take a walking trail in Ubud, pls wear good shoes/boots. The walking will need you to pass water, long grass, and sometimes stepping on whatever on the ground, (remember the buffaloes?) The walk takes about 3-4 hours, you dont need a guide but you need a map and good sense of directions. (common sense eg follow the water etc)

And 1 more thing if you want to take photos of women with stock on their heads. As you can imagine, the sunlight is always on top, and the stock/basket is always very big, so sometimes the face will be in shadows and very black if your metering skill is no good.

RuthBaby said:
oh ya
u must learn yr art of bargining too
at ubud.. i bargained a piece of handicraft from 750 USD to 150 SGD :D
And the real cost of making maybe only $20 :)

Astin said:
If you all dont like seaside, beaches, babes etc, you can stay in a town called Ubud (pron. Uooo-bud). This is the art center of Bali, very far from seaside. There are many art galleries, local Bali style market, women carrying stocks on top their head/hats, buffaloes and farmers working together, walking trails along rice fields, etc.

Ooooh...I've been eyeing Alila Ubud. I definitely want to stay there when I go Bali! :thumbsup:

Check out http://www.indo.com/hotels/alila_ubud/
Actual website is www.alilahotels.com/ but it doesn't seem to be loading. :dunno:

Bali is great for surfing! U can rent a beginner board which is broader and shorter. It allows u to lie on the board and surf. Remember to bargain for the rental.

thanks for all the info.

will be going to Bali on 16 April.
when are you guys going?

:)

when i was preparing my bali escape, i found this site really very useful and honest:

www.baliforyou.com

maybe you can find helpful stuff there. if you go to uluwatu, BEWARE OF THE MONKEYS!!!! they may look cute, but they are damn menacing and fierce, especially when they try to stun your sunglass or pull your camera strap. you have been warned.. don't kena attacked, you fall down the steps, break your L-lens and come back and cry :p

i rented a Diahatsu Feroza there. dirt cheap man! got the lobang from one of the taxi drivers at Nusa Dua Beach Hotel. paid about S$30/day. so that comes up to RP$150,000. no problems at all. but i wouldn't suggest you drive unless you have been to jakarta or a busy indon city recently and frequently cos you need to get a hang of driving culture. if you intend to move around different parts of bali to snap shots, then it would make sense to hire a driver and car.

for seafood, you definitely must try the seafood warangs at jimbaran area. i tried AROMA cafe at jimbaran. 2 of us had 2 crabs, 8 prawns, squid, fish... i think it only came up to about S$50. shiok sial.. so shiok i went back there to eat again on another 2 more occassions!

kuta beach was a letdown. but the lanes of legian and kuta had much more stuff to see compared to phuket. phuket's patong beach was a better beach in my opinion.

for day trips, take one that brings you up to kintamani. when you land at the airport, usually the tour agency will tie-up with another tour agency at bali to pick you up. that bali tour agency will offer you day tours. our kintamani trip was $35 per person, lunch included. so it was quite all right. we saw handicraft stops, a bali home, mount kintamani (volcanoe), oldest temple in bali (can't recall name) and some more other stuff can't remember liao. but we both felt it was really value for money ;)

if you need more info, drop me a PM and i'll give you my email to correspond. cheers! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.