Bali - what to take note of

Status
Not open for further replies.

akane

Jun 4, 2003
Sydney
Hi all,

Will be going to Bali in April for 5 days and hope to take lotsa photos.

Will probably be bring my SLR and Digicam (2 cams).

How safe is it in Bali with camera(s) hanging ard your neck there?

What are the interesting places to visit?

Thanks for any suggestions.

:)

Just came back from there a couple of weeks ago. My advice is to change your money here as quite a number of their "money changer" are make-shift ones and would try to cheat you whenever you are not alert. It happened to me but fortunately, I managed to get my money back.

As for safety, it was quite ok for me at Nusa Dua. Should be quite safe.

leadwe said:
Just came back from there a couple of weeks ago. My advice is to change your money here as quite a number of their "money changer" are make-shift ones and would try to cheat you whenever you are not alert. It happened to me but fortunately, I managed to get my money back.

As for safety, it was quite ok for me at Nusa Dua. Should be quite safe.

Hi fren

did u take pic of the beach scene? :D

akane said:
Hi all,

look for the sun sand and sea AND also bikinis ;)

jeff49er said:
Hi fren

did u take pic of the beach scene? :D

Only a few shots. Spent most of the time diving. And it's quite inconvenient to get around with a car. But then again, I don;t think you would want to drive there... judging on how pple drive there...

so any good day tours to join there?

think would like to visit some temples and the famous rice fields

also i want to find out where is the black sand beach

thanks. :thumbsup:

You got the choice right my friend, Bali is indeed an island with a lot of hidden beauty. It should be quite safe if you don't leave your stuff unattended. But daylight robbers should not happened in tourist area. Bali is a place where religion is still uphold high. Travel by car is not adviseable for foreigners, because the map is not very clear and the road can be quite confusing. But if you are adventeruous enough and insist on driving, my advice is to return to the city area by afternoon. Lingthing is not very good in the suburb area, and the road can be quite dark.

You can visit many temples, the biggest amongst are uluwatu, tanah lot, danau batur.
That is all for now, if you have further querry, please feel free to ask.

akane said:

If my memory didn't fail me, black sand beach is at Lovina. If you stay in Nusa Dua, Legian area, you will have a problem in making your trip up to Lovina and back :) The last time I had to give up the stay in my Legian hotel and had to get a hotel at Lovina just to stay awhile and see the black sand beach :) Beware of the commando-trained mosquitoes :) even the repellents and coils don't scare them :)

akane said:
Hi all,

Just went in Feb and back from a 4-day trip. Nice places to go are:
1. Tanah Lot (temple),
2. Ulu Watu (temple),
3. Ubud (handicrafts),
4. Bedugul (Lake Beratan),
5. Jimbaran (dinner by the sand, good to watch sunset and dine),
6. Kintamani (lunch on top of a volcano and see rice fields)

Got more but cannot remember where else so far :)

The last time i went, i rented a 4wd with driver for a rather cheap price from a hotel. So he brings us to the various tourist sites and wherever we wanted. He also recommended us some handicraft places to visit (though i feel he is out to get commission on those recommendations and i find it is still cheaper to buy those items on the streets).

Bali has fantastic sunsets. Get ready your camera for the sunsets!

Linkster said:
so sorry to tompang ur thread..

i'll be going to phuket.. how about what to take note of there?

;)
theres nothing much in puket.. except if u wanna do shopping.. u can try their small villiage

otherswise.. its bikini, topless and sun ;p

RuthBaby said:
theres nothing much in puket.. except if u wanna do shopping.. u can try their small villiage

otherswise.. its bikini, topless and sun ;p

Actually u can go for snorkelling or diving trips off phuket island. The water around phuket is rather unclean, but further out u can enjoy clear water, corals and schools of fishes. Otherwise, food and entertainment is also nice. Prices are cheaper there too.

One place to visit there is the phiphi island where one of the james bond movie was film.

akane said:

I went Bali 2 times, and on my own, no tours.
Here is what I did:
- arrived at Bali airport (Denpersa?)
- at the airport there were many taxi waiting, just make sure you bargain for the correct fare, and the taxi driver would drive you to the correct hotel
(I booked the hotel thru internet beforehand, if you dont have any hotel, the taxi driver will "gladly" recommend his friend's hotel to you)
- after arriving at the hotel, and check in the room, I just walked to the main street and there would be many travel kiosk, all selling similar day tour package, look around and check for the best looking vehicle (also driver) and book. Normally you book 1 day in advance, and its ok to pay in advance. (Baliese ppl are very honest, but you need to bargain and agree on a price)

The black sand beach is at Lovina, at the north of the island, vs the more famous beaches at the south of the island. Although the Bali look small on the map, there are some big mountains in the middle, so to drive across the mountain from the south to the north will take 3-4 hours.

I like the Lovina beach, less tourists, very quiet, at evening time there are many fishing boats returning, and they would light up the boat lights from far, you can many dots of lights from the beach.

SniperD said:
heh heh... good .. keep them coming.. I'm going Bali 3 weeks from now :)

If you all dont like seaside, beaches, babes etc, you can stay in a town called Ubud (pron. Uooo-bud). This is the art center of Bali, very far from seaside. There are many art galleries, local Bali style market, women carrying stocks on top their head/hats, buffaloes and farmers working together, walking trails along rice fields, etc.

FYI, 5 April is election day in Indonesia, Bali included of course. I dun know what will it be like but from past experience, it would be quite a volatile time. So if you go there near those date please be careful and stay away from big crowds of campaigning pple as things could get ugly.

Well, warnings aside, this is just my worries as in the recent news there hasn't been any serious incidents related to the campaigning. Hopefully it'll stay peaceful throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.