bad experience with Nikon and shops in funan. Buy lens please check carefully!

This is nothing new on what the TS had posted. If you have a chance to talk to the bosses / salesmen of the reputable shops, they will tell you that many customers will expect zero dust / cleaned in their new purchase photographic gear by choosing set after set. I have heard story of one customer needed to look at 15 copies of the 50mm lens in order to choose the perfect lens. Imagine the salesman has to entertain him for at least hour.

One senior salesman of a reputable shop told me that customers nowadays want the best but at the lowest prices.

No dust is really asking too much. I don't think any shop can meet your requirement.

I bought a lens in SLR revolution in Funan. I didn't really look like carefully in the lens and when home and i discover a small dot inside the element. not sure is dust or what...
So I call back to check with SLR and they told me once lens went out of shop cannot do 1-1 exchange. What kind of service is this! I believe there is a 7days exchange policy right?...
They suggest me bring down nikon.

Ok cool i worked near to nikon so i went after 6 days as there is holiday season. and they decided to fix for me free and within 2week and I waited. When the lens is ready I went back to collect, i do a rough check and don't see any dust. But when i went back i check carefully, the front element have 5-8 dots.
So Nikon just drop my lens value within 2weeks of purchase. I know dust don't affect optics but think of this is brand new and with dust.

My D600 dust issue which i went to Nikon alot times and came back with spots again and got one time they clean dust into viewfinder!
I agree the staff there is very friendly, but they do crappy repair work.
One of staff told me my D600 screw is rust, because Nikon fault changing my shuttle moter 4 times the screw will not be touched or rust!

Mistake i did was not to check like a CSI in the shop and believe shop are honest people. My friend got a XE-1 from john 3:16 and the sensor has finger prints. He did request a new set.
I am here not to bad mouth people but really alot dishonest seller out there to sell u maybe display or used items. So guys watch out!

Preserving your rights as a consumer, I really think you shouldn't be buying utilitarian items such as cameras and lenses. Perhaps stamp collection might suit you better and make you a happy person.

sorry to hear about this, take this as a lesson,
in order to get happy shopping experience, for zero dust speck lenses, zero shutter count cameras
it is very important to bring a torch, notebook, focusing test chart, sensor loupe, magnifier and tripod for camera gears shopping.

hope this help.

No need waste time shopping already. Will end up with nothing.

Zero speck of dust = not reasonable, not even possible.
Zero Shutter count = frankly... I don't think possible either, I mean, during production, the internal line QA would take a couple of shots from each camera to ensure that everything is working properly. I actually welcome that, I wouldn't trust a camera with zero shutter count, because it would also mean, the particular set didn't pass through any QA at all.

If anyone wanted to have zero speck of dust, he/she might need to live and work in a clean room... which in a sense also had tolerance for some dust per cubic centimeter.

Zero Shutter count = frankly... I don't think possible either, I mean, during production, the internal line QA would take a couple of shots from each camera to ensure that everything is working properly. I actually welcome that, I wouldn't trust a camera with zero shutter count, because it would also mean, the particular set didn't pass through any QA at all.

If anyone wanted to have zero speck of dust, he/she might need to live and work in a clean room... which in a sense also had tolerance for some dust per cubic centimeter.

Zero shutter count is very possible. When QA do test, they test and they take shots, then they reset the entire camera again. So when you unpack a consumer level camera and turn it on, you will see the setup screen, and shutter count will be zero.

Every camera I bought so far has zero shutter count at unboxing. But then again, I do not shop at that super friendly store.

Reactions: rhino123

TS thinks that buying a zero dust camera, his photo taking skills will improve

I had never heard such a ranting before. First time heard of people voicing their unhappines for dust in new lens. Not even the pros or those who acquire super tele-lens like the 500mmf4, 600mmf4 or the 800mm; those lenses cost more then 10k.. anyway hope ts would enjoy his lens n take great pictures from it.

i think probably TS should close this thread now. In all, I am sure that TS is now pretty assured about what to expect when buying equipment and that's a great outcome.

let's spend the time taking more pics :)

I had never heard such a ranting before. First time heard of people voicing their unhappines for dust in new lens. Not even the pros or those who acquire super tele-lens like the 500mmf4, 600mmf4 or the 800mm; those lenses cost more then 10k.. anyway hope ts would enjoy his lens n take great pictures from it.

I hope when TS buys a new car in future, he doesn't behave what he is now

Consumer law is in a process of change right now. By right you have 7 days to return an item in Singapore for a full refund. The kicker is, if a company refuses to accept the item back (for whatever reason), the only thing you can do is file a consumer complaint, and usually nothing comes of it. You can call the cops, create a big scene, and even cry to your credit card company or bank, nobody will do anything for you.

So what I'd suggest, if the spec of dust bothers you, or affects the image, then take the lens to Nikon and have them service it under warranty.

Next time don't use SLR Revolution.. As they obviously don't care about your business. Oh and BTW, I think you're a reasonable customer who wants to be treated well, nothing wrong with wanting a lens replaced.

SLR Revo is very straight in camera or lens replacement. They are very consistent and will tell you to check thoroughly, as they don't do one-to-one exchange like some shops. Even if you have purchased on the same day and brought back to change 1 hour later.

They have some items cheaper than others, but not all. So if you have been comparing prices of different shops and end up buying due to the lowest price at SLRR, be ready to accept this shop policy.

Good to have this message upfront thus no arguments. Any buyers who prefer buying with 7-days one-to-one can check out other shops. I think quite a lot of shops don't do that too.

Consumer law is in a process of change right now. By right you have 7 days to return an item in Singapore for a full refund. The kicker is, if a company refuses to accept the item back (for whatever reason), the only thing you can do is file a consumer complaint, and usually nothing comes of it. You can call the cops, create a big scene, and even cry to your credit card company or bank, nobody will do anything for you.

So what I'd suggest, if the spec of dust bothers you, or affects the image, then take the lens to Nikon and have them service it under warranty.

Next time don't use SLR Revolution.. As they obviously don't care about your business. Oh and BTW, I think you're a reasonable customer who wants to be treated well, nothing wrong with wanting a lens replaced.

If lens and camera doing the 1 to 1 exchange, i guess all of us majority are buying second hand stuff from all these shops lolxx....TS stated that his friend bought a camera that hv a finger prints on the sensor so i guess that shop can do 1 to 1....cheers :)

Maybe you could update us on any shop that accept 1 to 1 exchange of lens due to one dust being spotted in the lens that might be from anywhere even TS own room, so next time we could visit that shop more often to get our products because I also want a dust free product, even after a couple of days use.

Consumer law is in a process of change right now. By right you have 7 days to return an item in Singapore for a full refund.

Based on the Lemon Law provisions, which were added to the Consumer Protection (Fair Trading) Act (CPFTA) in Sept 2012, it's actually up to six months!

Q1: What does the new law provide for?

A1: More Clarity on Burden of Proof and Rights Period: Under the
Lemon Law, if a defect is detected within 6 months, it is presumed
that the defect existed at the time of sale or delivery and the
lemon law provisions apply, unless the seller can prove otherwise,
or if such a presumption is incompatible with the nature of the
goods (for example, perishables and food are not expected to last
beyond their normal shelf lives.) Beyond 6 months, consumers can
still seek remedies but they will need to bear the burden of
proving that the defect existed at the time of delivery.

Additional Remedies: Under the Lemon Law provisions, the
consumer can demand the seller to repair, or replace the
defective product. If the seller fails to repair or replace the goods
within a reasonable time or without significant inconvenience to
consumer, the consumer may ask for a reduction in price or return
the product for a refund. The seller can offer an alternative
remedy from the one demanded by the consumer if the cost of
the remedy demanded is disproportionate in comparison.

But you can't return for any reason, it has to fulfil certain criteria. However, to use TS's example, it's quite unlikely that a speck of dust would cause a purchased item to be considered defective. Or maybe it depends on how good a lawyer you can afford to hire :bsmilie:

Q5: How do you define what is a Lemon or what is a defective
product?

A5: The Lemon Law provisions apply in the event of non-conformity to
contract at the time of delivery (e.g. a sale of goods contract).
Non-conformity to contract is defined under existing laws such as
the Sale of Goods Act, and includes situations such as the product
not being of satisfactory quality, not fit for the purpose it is
purchased for, or not meeting reasonable performance
expectations, taking into account description of the goods, the
price and other relevant circumstances.

“Satisfactory Quality” includes their state and condition, as well as
the following aspects:

(a) fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in
question are commonly supplied;
(b) appearance and finish;
(c) freedom from minor defects;
(d) safety; and (e) durability.

See: http://www.case.org.sg/downloads/central/Lemon Law FAQs.pdf

Last edited:
This is the thing here. There are alot of people who seemed to know their rights... but don't know the exact specification, just selfish demands of things that are not reasonable. For example, you found a speck of dust in your lens... or even for argument sake, alot couple specks of dust in your lens when you reach home, how do you proof that the dust are there when you bought your lens, or had the dust get into the lens from the time you walk out of the shop to the time you reach home, or if the dust actually get into your lens from your room... since you are not living in a dust free shop.

If you are the shopkeeper, or the person who are selling the lenses, would you entertain such a demand? I would happily and wholeheartedly agree with TS, if the single speck of dust is actually not dust but fungus growth, small cracks or even haze, then I think it is fair to return the lens for a 1 to 1 exchange. And I believe if that is the case, SLR revo would do the exchange.

This is the thing here. There are alot of people who seemed to know their rights... but don't know the exact specification, just selfish demands of things that are not reasonable. For example, you found a speck of dust in your lens... or even for argument sake, alot couple specks of dust in your lens when you reach home, how do you proof that the dust are there when you bought your lens, or had the dust get into the lens from the time you walk out of the shop to the time you reach home, or if the dust actually get into your lens from your room... since you are not living in a dust free shop.

If you are the shopkeeper, or the person who are selling the lenses, would you entertain such a demand? I would happily and wholeheartedly agree with TS, if the single speck of dust is actually not dust but fungus growth, small cracks or even haze, then I think it is fair to return the lens for a 1 to 1 exchange. And I believe if that is the case, SLR revo would do the exchange.

Hahahah agreed. Once i buying a compact cam from slrr and while testing the lcd screen black out and switched on and off also cant help. Before i said anything, the staff straight away change a new 1 for me to test. Got 1 time i wanted to buy a tripod cos mine got some problem. While half way thru talking abt tripod they sudden asked me what happen to my tripod. I passed it tothem and tell them where is the problem. To my surprise they ask me not to buy and they fixed it for me....lolxx and ask me to try out and if problems continue then buy from them....swee sia....lolxx thats my experience i have from them. Thx

We have to manage our expectations.

Would be tough to deal with TS in the second hand buy and sell :complain:

Last edited: