bad experience with Nikon and shops in funan. Buy lens please check carefully!

andugo

Dec 16, 2009
I bought a lens in SLR revolution in Funan. I didn't really look like carefully in the lens and when home and i discover a small dot inside the element. not sure is dust or what...
So I call back to check with SLR and they told me once lens went out of shop cannot do 1-1 exchange. What kind of service is this! I believe there is a 7days exchange policy right?...
They suggest me bring down nikon.

Ok cool i worked near to nikon so i went after 6 days as there is holiday season. and they decided to fix for me free and within 2week and I waited. When the lens is ready I went back to collect, i do a rough check and don't see any dust. But when i went back i check carefully, the front element have 5-8 dots.
So Nikon just drop my lens value within 2weeks of purchase. I know dust don't affect optics but think of this is brand new and with dust.

My D600 dust issue which i went to Nikon alot times and came back with spots again and got one time they clean dust into viewfinder!
I agree the staff there is very friendly, but they do crappy repair work.
One of staff told me my D600 screw is rust, because Nikon fault changing my shuttle moter 4 times the screw will not be touched or rust!

Mistake i did was not to check like a CSI in the shop and believe shop are honest people. My friend got a XE-1 from john 3:16 and the sensor has finger prints. He did request a new set.
I am here not to bad mouth people but really alot dishonest seller out there to sell u maybe display or used items. So guys watch out!

I bought a lens in SLR revolution in Funan. I didn't really look like carefully in the lens and when home and i discover a small dot inside the element. not sure is dust or what...
So I call back to check with SLR and they told me once lens went out of shop cannot do 1-1 exchange. What kind of service is this! I believe there is a 7days exchange policy right?...

Ok cool i worked near to nikon so i went after 6 days as there is holiday season. and they decided to fix for me free and within 2week and I waited. When the lens is ready I went back to collect, i do a rough check and don't see any dust. But when i went back i check carefully, the front element have 5-8 dots.
So Nikon just drop my lens value within 2weeks of purchase. I know dust don't affect optics but think of this is brand new and with dust.

My D600 dust issue which i went to Nikon alot times and came back with spots again and got one time they clean dust into viewfinder!
One of staff told me my D600 screw is rust, because Nikon fault changing my shuttle moter 4 times the screw will not be touched or rust!

Mistake i did was not to check like a CSI in the shop and believe shop are honest people. My friend got a XE-1 from john 3:16 and the sensor has finger prints. He did request a new set.
I am here not to bad mouth people but really alot dishonest seller out there to sell u maybe display or used items. So guys watch out!

You sir, are a stellar example of a bad customer... expect to exchange a lens due to dust (small dot)!??!

lols. jokes.

You sir, are a stellar example of a bad customer... expect to exchange a lens due to dust (small dot)!??!

I believe in QC control, I know I am picky but when u buy a lens you also want it to perfect right?
It is not $2 items and we look at professional items.

sorry to hear about this, take this as a lesson,
in order to get happy shopping experience, for zero dust speck lenses, zero shutter count cameras
it is very important to bring a torch, notebook, focusing test chart, sensor loupe, magnifier and tripod for camera gears shopping.

hope this help.

Reactions: Fudgecakes
sorry to hear about this, take this as a lesson,
in order to get happy shopping experience, for zero dust speck lenses, zero shutter count cameras
it is very important to bring a torch, notebook, focusing test chart, sensor loupe, magnifier and tripod for camera gears shopping.

hope this help.

Wa, like that full on-site testing need few hours wor....

That 's why i choose to believe the shops (turn up like this lor)... or trying to be a freak to test the lens in hours...

Actually... I think you should bring your laptop with calibrated monitor and your tripods to the shop too. Don't forget your test chart. So you can mount you camera on one tripod, mount the 'new' lens and mount the test chart on another tripod, test all range to check for misalignment and stuff like that and remember to test are different aperture, plus shutter speed. Then upload all your photos to the laptop, and go for 100% crop at all angle and stuff like that.

Before that, shine a torch through the lens to check for dust, fungus and everything. If you find one dot, reject the lens. If the lens is okay (totally free from dust), then do the above mentioned.

I believe the entire inspection process would take only around a couple of hours, so quite okay. Oh... remember, to ask the salesman if you find got problem when you go home, can you do 1-to-1 exchange before you even ask them to show you the products. If cannot, better don't buy from that shop, if can, then go for it.

Oh... don't forget to check the condition of the box too, if got wrinkle or dogears, reject the goods, because you pay big money for the lens and the box is part of the package too.

Happy shopping ;)

hi andugo,

I can understand that you may have felt that the state of the equipment did not meet your needs, especially when u've spent hard earned money on it.

We all have our standards but we've to be realistic too. Hmm, one extreme for example is that you see people banging tables because their camera didn't come with zero shutter counts which obviously is a sign of ignorance.

For your case with dust as the issue, its really end of the day , like it or not - using the lens itself will expose itself to dust. Even when the lens leaves the factory and is sealed, there is already dust inside it, just probably micro ones we can't pick out easily.

Live and let go. Don't let this affect your enjoyment with the equipment. In future, spend a bit more time checking the equipment to your satisfaction but do remember what i said about reasonable demands. Fingerprint on sensor fair, don't accept.

Funan ctr is not weather and dust proof sealed. :) cheers and happy snapping.

I love the replies!

This is just like any customer buying an expensive mechanical watch and grumbling at how it loses a second a day or someone who buys a Ferrari and later chokes when the car refuses to start.

For starters, I understand why a lot of the new middle class (some banks call them aspiration affluent, emerging affluent, mass affluent etc.) who have no prior understanding of the new field will feel this way. Money is everything, and they pay with their hard earned money for top results. Often, the expectations are way above what is realistic, and there is an expectation asymmetry.

To be specific, I wouldn't be bothered by dust. It happens, and we all live with it. If you really want to be certain, inspect all the lenses available and select the best one. That's it. But believe me. Use it a couple of times and dust will appear. Even if it is just sitting in the dry cabinet, dust will eventually settle in there, albeit over a much longer time.

I won't be bothered by resale value. I won't be bothered by the dust in the lens. I'd just head out and get myself the pictures I want from the lens I just got.

Sorry to hear of you unpleasant buying experience.
It is a terrible idea to bring a brand new lens to a service centre to dismantle it just because of 1 small dot.
As expected you got the lens back in worse condition than before.
When they re-assemble the lens, what if certain tolerances were not met and the lens elements are now not in the correct alignment or out of position?

I do not like to see any one using a torch to shine into a lens during the buying process.
Seems a bit rude.
Photography is only a hobby.

It is not CSI investigation of a crime.

I believe that customers have the right to ensure the quality of goods before purchase.

Meanwhile the salesperson or shop has the responsibility to ensure that the transaction carries out smoothly, and finally the customer is left to judge the quality of the goods before paying.

TS may bring torch light, magnifying glass or even a machine to check the lens, after all it is in his rights as a customer.

But from what TS wrote, there has been no misrepresentation by the shop or salesperson or any exchange policy duration that was verbally agreed, but TS just assumed and took it for granted, then blamed the dealer for not honouring the promise that was never made.

And in the end, like what so many irresponsible customers do, they now shift that responsibility and the rights to ensure quality of goods to others (salesperson, lens company).

Who knows when that dust might have gotten in, MAYBE would it be that TS's house is too dusty and it got in, who knows? I believe SLR revo had made the right call to ask TS to send the lens for servicing, as the lens is still operational and dust in lens is not a manufacture defect, there is no rights and need for a 1-1 exchange.

And why the need to tell others of the inconvenience caused by your own fault? To gather force and support in bringing down or tarnishing SLR revo's reputation?

Whatever happened at Nikon servicing center that diminished the value of the lens should be brought forward to them, instead of lumping both dealer and brand name together. And what's more, TS wrote the title in a style as if to warn everyone to stay away from every shops in Funan that sell lenses, top notch ridiculous and childish way of composing a complaint.

In my opinion, TS should think of this situation in others shoe. As what he is doing constitutes to deflaming and slandering, if want to complain, do it in style please.

I took the time to write this, because there are too many "unfortunate customers" like TS, and too many members here who are soft with this kind of "unfortunate customers" needlessly.

I didn't defame the shop which i mention before.
Both shop people is kind and friendly.

Learnt my mistakes for not checking carefully terms and conditions and I believe different people has different level product quality & tolerance level.
Reason I bring up is to share for those people who is very particular.

Learnt my mistakes for not checking carefully terms and conditions and I believe different people has different level product quality & tolerance level.

YES YOU ARE DEFAMING THE SHOP!

You specifically questioned their honesty and integrity, suggesting that they are 'dishonest seller out there to sell u maybe display or used items'

Let me get your story right...

1) You discover one small dot upon reaching home.
2) You didn't check properly.
3) SLR Revo didn't allow lens 1 to 1 exchange

First thing, a couple of facts,

1) SLR revo storeroom is not a cleanroom, there are dust around.
2) You live and travel in a place full of dust too.
3) You don't live in a cleanroom and no matter how much you might want to believe, there are heaps of dust particles in your room, it is just that you didn't see them.

So how to you know that the dot (which I presume is dust particle) is actually there in the lens when you got it from the shop and not get there during the journey home and also not get there from your home? Secondly, no packaging designer would design their product package to be dust proof either. And let me tell you something more horror... if you dismantle your brand new camera or lens, you will see lots of dusts in the lens itself.

It is not about different level of tolerance to product quality, it is all about realistic tolerance to product quality.

From what I have experience, normally a shop - say John 3:16 (Sam had been telling me to bring back my product within seven days and they will honor the exchange), and I believe SLR revo too would allowed 1 to 1 exchange, however, that is reasonable exchange and not because of dust problem... plus it was only ONE dust particle (OMG!) If you find a jammed aperture blade, a cracked optic, fungus and something like that, yes, I believe they would allow 1 to 1 exchange if you haven't register your product. But who in the world would take back something that had ONE dust speck?

Sooo... if in future, I suggest you do what I have propose before (read back) and good luck finding the perfect lens.

I bought lens or camera products few times at SLRR. It one of them that I will check it out if want get anything. Service, price etc not the best (think no shop is perfect), but so far so good.
Did once bought a lens but as I din bring camera along to try, I asked if anything wrong when get home can bring back..the staff straight away told me bring to service ctr if anything wrong..

Dust? Value drop because of dust? Ensure quality = no dust?

Biggest jokes i heard this year so far. And i thought i heard everything.

Dust is everywhere. Once you unpack a lens, dust can get in. Once you use a lens dust will get in.

This thread is a joke ... goes to show how ppl are so unrealistic in their expectation.

No wonder we have auntie blocking carpark exit just for that few dollar. So next time if I buy house buy car etc I will also tell seller I no want dust.

My friend got a XE-1 from john 3:16 and the sensor has finger prints. He did request a new set.

Finger prints on the sensor of the XE-1? How can this be? Even if the set has been seen or touched by other customers, there shouldn't be anything on the sensor. Who will open up aperture and then touch the sensor? For what purpose? :think: