Astrophotography tips file

Astronomy tips and how to.. Do you want it?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update

The core text and reference exposure tables are completed, however I'm still working on the digital camera side and due to bad weather (it's the wet season here, cloudy every night) have been unable as yet to run the scopes with a digital P&S to confirm the method of operation works reliably and to provide illustrative images of what is possible.

If you guys want I'll post a basic exposure chart for the moon to give you something to play with.

Kamwai
The Portaball telescopes are essentially an Alt-Az mounting and as such won't be suitable for much else apart from lunar, solar and some planetary photography.

If memory serves me right from the discussion I had with the guy who makes them some 4 or 5 years back they are pre-balanced for non camera use.
Your friend will need to increase the counterweight considerably to take the weight of a D-30. Attachment should be via a standard M42 T-ring to focusing tube attachment in either 1.25" or 2" depending on the focuser on the Portaball.

Hiee...

The telescope that your freind has looks a reflector type telecope with a base mounting. This type of config(reflector) has more BANG for the bucks(bright).

However, a manual alt-azimuth one like this would only be good for star-streaks photo and Moon Photography. You need a motorized equatorial mount which may be controlled by software to do constellation long exposure photography.

The basic equipment for a moon shot would be an adapter for your camera. you need a adapter to fit your 0.965" or 1.25" eyepiece holder to a camera mount adapter(made by meade or celestron for example). You probably need a cable release.

You may also need a moon flter or you can stop down 3 to 4 stops and do aperture prioity to cath the photo on film - in digital, you could try the same thing too.....but for small digicam, you can just use another stand to mount the camera to the eyepiece......

Try this out....

Check out one of my personal shot with a Canon Powershot S10 + tripod stand....

The moon using a 12mm eyepiece - taken from Yuma,Arizona (USA)

regards,
Sulhan

normal digital cameras are useless for long exposure astrophotography.. these cameras are not built for long exposures, hence u get the 'hot' pixels (simply, 'noise'). but for planets, moon and the sun (remember the solar filter!) they work pretty well.

http://www.sbig.com

check out the above link for more interesting stuff on CCD usage on astrophotography.

ya just need some cheap (less than $1000) german equatorial mount and some decent guide scope to do simple wide angle astrophotography.

nice, you shot it through the eyepiece?
looks like there's some chromatic abberation?
by the way what scope you're using? short tube 80?

Originally posted by sulhan
Hiee...

The telescope that your freind has looks a reflector type telecope with a base mounting. This type of config(reflector) has more BANG for the bucks(bright).

However, a manual alt-azimuth one like this would only be good for star-streaks photo and Moon Photography. You need a motorized equatorial mount which may be controlled by software to do constellation long exposure photography.

The basic equipment for a moon shot would be an adapter for your camera. you need a adapter to fit your 0.965" or 1.25" eyepiece holder to a camera mount adapter(made by meade or celestron for example). You probably need a cable release.

You may also need a moon flter or you can stop down 3 to 4 stops and do aperture prioity to cath the photo on film - in digital, you could try the same thing too.....but for small digicam, you can just use another stand to mount the camera to the eyepiece......

Try this out....

Check out one of my personal shot with a Canon Powershot S10 + tripod stand....

The moon using a 12mm eyepiece - taken from Yuma,Arizona (USA)

regards,
Sulhan

it'll be a bonus if ya can learn to read the sky then
(^_^)
constellations and deep sky objects
so ya'll know what's there to shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.