Asterix goes to Myanmar

I really love the mood, composition and timing you've capture in this series. A real eyeopener! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I really love the mood, composition and timing you've capture in this series. A real eyeopener! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

thanks bro. It feels good to hear compliments from a seasoned traveller and photographer like you (and few others in this forum). I think we went at the right time of the year and were blessed with a lot of good fortune. Of course, it needed a few sacrifices, planning and patience. All in all, I am a firm believer in "Man proposes, God disposes". You could have the best equipment in the world, you could've done all the research and planning in the world, you could have great photographic skills, but if you are not blessed, you will come back empty handed.

I've made a photobook (my first one ever) out of my Myanmar trip and its come out to my satisfaction :)

Congrats on ur photobook:cool:

I've made a photobook (my first one ever) out of my Myanmar trip and its come out to my satisfaction :)

I am sure u would! Very envious of ur dedicated 9 day trip, i am sure u can make whichever country you visit as mesmerizing as well.

ryan

Congrats on ur photobook:cool:

Thanks.

I am sure u would! Very envious of ur dedicated 9 day trip, i am sure u can make whichever country you visit as mesmerizing as well.

ryan

Ryan,
Thanks for your glowing comments. Myanmar is very special. All my travels so far have been special, but in terms of photographic output, Myanmar has been the best. I sure will have a tale or two to tell when I am old :bsmilie:

Having two understanding friends for company during this trip, also made it very wonderful and memorable.

And I am envious of your NZ trip :)
You can shoot such wonderful photos when on a honeymoon. I am glad you've found a supportive wife, giving you an extra pair of eyes to look at things you might miss out. Wish you both the very best in life. :thumbsup:

#72. Trrring Trrring

Can't have enough of UBein :)

4462557670_80b30a426e_b.jpg

What a shot. The light and the dust really made the mood magical. I'm guessing you were some distance away since you used the 300mm, but did you manage any head-on shots of the people with the goats?

What a shot. The light and the dust really made the mood magical. I'm guessing you were some distance away since you used the 300mm, but did you manage any head-on shots of the people with the goats?

This was shot at 400mm on a 30D. I was way too far and on top of a pagoda. there was no way i could run all that distance to take a head on shot :(

moreover, it might have been an ideal scene if the people and goats were walking away from the sun and i was facing them head on. silhouettes with dust blocking the sun. hmmmm. that's an idea for future use :)

I like #72 most of all. Just gorgeous and sort of poetic to me. :)
Anyway, I think the whole series is just great! Really appreciate the detailed write-up and tips given.

moreover, it might have been an ideal scene if the people and goats were walking away from the sun and i was facing them head on. silhouettes with dust blocking the sun. hmmmm. that's an idea for future use :)

Yes! Thats what i was referring to! :)
But i guess we cant be at all places at all times. Nonetheless, what you had was still an outstanding shot.

love the shots. ... Made me so wanna go there..

I like #72 most of all. Just gorgeous and sort of poetic to me. :)
Anyway, I think the whole series is just great! Really appreciate the detailed write-up and tips given.

Thanks bro. Just want to do my little bit and give back to the forum for all that I've gained from it.

love the shots. ... Made me so wanna go there..

you should. just make sure that you go in the right period - nov to feb, and i can guarantee that you will get the best chance to photograph...

Aiyo!!! So pro! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

bro, thanks. i just enjoy travelling and this was by far the best trip in terms of photographic opportunities. every moment was simply special.

Love your shots. Well done.:thumbsup:

thank you. glad you enjoyed viewing the photos.

With Bali done and dealt with, I want to go back to my favourite holiday - Myanmar. :bsmilie:

The photos that follow didn't make it to my photobook, but I felt they are worth sharing here.

73. Dawn in Bagan

4519167515_27716702bf_b.jpg

#74. The eagles, ooops Balloons, have landed

4522496335_fde3d2a112_b.jpg

#75. Inside Shwedagon Paya complex

I had seen this place in the evening and the sun was setting behind this structure. Didn't want to shoot a silhouette, so moved on thinking I would shoot at night. The only problem with this was there was no way to shoot the lying Buddha from outside. If I had moved to the right, I wouldn't have got the symmetrical view. Did I say that I am a sucker for symmetry ? :bsmilie:

4522496171_4d0e51b6d0_b.jpg

#76. Shwezigon Pagoda in Nyaung Ooo, Bagan

Its a pity we couldn't fit this pagoda into our morning schedule. On our first sunrise shoot at Mi-nyein-gon, we had met a guy Simon. He had told us about this pagoda and that in the corridor that leads to the Pagoda there are lots of arches. In the morning they cast long shadows in the corridor. He recommended that we visit this place early in the morning, and there won't be anyone there.

We managed to visit only in the late afternoon. I wish we could've gone an hour or so earlier, I could've avoided the shadows on the right and the front. And also spent a bit more time here. We just spent half an hour or so and then rushed to Shwesandaw for our final sunset in Bagan.

4522496551_de6cf6fb2f_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hi asterixsg, indeed this thread has been phenomenal, particularly your #10 and #35. There is a kind of calm and charm in them, simple as they may be. Apart from photographs, your illustrations are also very well written. You made us want to lay down our daily grind for sunsets and the stars. Both pictures and words have zen-like effects to readers. Extremely inspiring :thumbsup:.

You made me want to put Myanmar on my "to-go" list!